if you send your clothes to the laundry on HAL, you should read this

Ship's Wake

I didn't personally go and inspect the laundering facilities..... Haha! But we just got off the ship yesterday and sent all sorts of clothes for laundry and dry cleaning.

Silk tops, rayon, crocheted blanket, darks, lights, I put notes on the crocheted blanket and some of my clothes cold water was only and low dry. Also wrote on the sheet if this request could not be accommodated please just send back the dirty clothes to me. I was assured by Neptune staff and cabin steward it was not an issue.

The clothes came back fine and no complaints...... Well thus far :D ill let you know as I wear them on the tour portion of the Cruisetour this week :D

Little DS crocheted blanket is in perfect condition. He was actually more nervous than me sending it to laundry. Will they take good care of green blankee?:D

Can I asked who told you that? Or is it based on personal experience? I guarantee if all the shirts that DH sends to HAL's laundry were washed in hot water ... he would be shirtless by the end of a cruise ... nothing would fit.

Please reference the link in the first post of this thread. You'll find this information contained within the other thread.

I have no idea if all HAL ships use the same laundry equipment as the Carnival ships, but since they are owned by the same company and many of their ships were built in the same shipyards, it's reasonable to conclude that the laundry operations for passenger clothing is similar throughout the Carnival Corp lines.

I have to rely upon my personal experience having sailed 15 HAL ships repeatedly and sending laundry out on over 80 cruises. That is enough track record for ME to not accept what is proported to be happening in HAL ships' laundries.

I question the accuracy but that is just me.

Perhaps it is all true and we have just had remarkable luck on all of those cruises sending laundry out every second or third day. ;)

laundry service on hal is just WONDERFUL. period. none of my clothes, including kind of delicate tori richard shirts from hawai'i, have ever come back to me in anything but like new conditions. slacks ironed, undies folded, you name it. shirts ironed and presented without a wrinkle. oh, what a luxury.

The only problem I ever had with HAL's laundry (and I have used them alot since I try to keep the luggage down) was that they lost a couple pairs of my unmentionables. Probably did not get tagged for some reason. Everything else has come back in fine shape and the slacks have held a crease long after the cruise was over. And, I have sent out whites and reds, so I know those were separated. Even shout would not keep the colors clear there.

Susan

The only thing we didn't send to the laundry was our formal wear.......

Everything came back perfect.........

We have done the same thing with the same results on every cruise we have taken on HAL. We send out a stuffed bag every third day. It is usually back the same evening but sometimes not until the next day.

The formal wear we send to HAL cleaners. One time one of DH shirts came back with a brown spot. Showed the spot to our cabin stewart, he took the shirt and came back the same afternoon with the shirt in perfect condition.:)

Love HAL's laundry,:D hate having to pack dirty cloths to go home;)

We love the HAL laundry service (fast, efficient), but do notice that the washing and/or drying is pretty hard on my husband's undies. These are sturdy cottom ones that I wash and dry at home on medium settings. On the ship after 15 or so washings/dryings (long cruises!) they are ready to toss. At home they would last much, much longer.

If you care to know more about this topic, try reading the referenced thread in the first post.

I don't plan on going on any cruises on Carnival. :rolleyes:

Just because it is on the Internet if has to be true...riiight. Why should I believe an anonymous "expert" while my own experiences - and that of so many others posting here - have all been satisfactory?

Have you had problems with a ship's laundry?

Edited by Boytjie

Well, I've been really impressed with the laundry services on HAL. I wash delicate items with shampoo and dry them in the shower, but I love the way shirts and pants come back. I wouldn't send anything to the ship laundry that I would be really upset about should it come back damaged--or not come back at all. I think that's just common sense.

One benefit of the ship service is that button down shirts seem to retain their "ironed" quality even after months of re-washing & drying back home [i don't iron]. I don't know why this is, but I love it.

Once, I noticed 2 days after the laundry came back that one of my shirts was missing. I gave a written description to our steward and it was back in the room an hour later. My local cleaners can't do that!

I'm one more person who has no problem with the ships' laundry. Of course, I use a little common sense and never send items - such as delicate or wool - that need special washing conditions. I've always known that the laundry process was a "one-fits-all" process.

I've sent numerous lots of laundry, on HAL, RCI and Celebrity. There hasn't been a problem with any of the items.

^^^ All of this. I've been doing my own laundry at home since about 1980. DW and I do our wash separately. I've become somewhat particular due to the experience gained through my own mistakes over the years. So, aboard ship, I just select what I want to risk at the laundry carefully. After many cruises, I've never had a problem with HAL laundry either. Some things I wash by hand, and others get thrown away after one wearing.

Doesn't that get a little expensive?

laundry service on hal is just WONDERFUL. period. none of my clothes, including kind of delicate tori richard shirts from hawai'i, have ever come back to me in anything but like new conditions. slacks ironed, undies folded, you name it. shirts ironed and presented without a wrinkle. oh, what a luxury.
Watch out! You're straying into "cheerleader" territory! ;)

Please reference the link in the first post of this thread. You'll find this information contained within the other thread.

I have no idea if all HAL ships use the same laundry equipment as the Carnival ships, but since they are owned by the same company and many of their ships were built in the same shipyards, it's reasonable to conclude that the laundry operations for passenger clothing is similar throughout the Carnival Corp lines.

If you haven't been to a HAL laundry then don't assume they are the same.

Including drycleaning. Including my good formal clothes. They do a good job. I haven't sailed Carnival nor used their laundry - so I wouldn't make a comment on Carnival laundry or assumptions on their laundry. Just saying;)

I have a problem with my bed linens, and request they be washed in Vinegar and hot water before we board. If I don't my face and neck turn out with a bright red rash. As for our clothes we send out, there have been a few problems, but not enough to complain about, or stop using. I do hand wash a few pieces of underwear. Carol:)

Edited by c 2 c

Here is my post from that thread:

This has been my experience while working on cruise ships, and being the "Maytag repairman" on the laundry equipment. The large machines that the OP describes are used for the sheets, towels, tablecloths, and napkins that come to the laundry in bushels. There will also be smaller machines (some the size of the ones you have at home, some smaller in the 15-20 kg load size, and these may be in a separate laundry room. These machines are used for the guest laundry, the officers' laundry, and the crew uniforms. These are generally in the same area or room with the dry cleaning machines, the pressing stations (for clothes, not the large roll ironers used for sheets, etc). While the OP is correct about the chemical injection in the large machines, it is carefully metered, as the company does not want to spend money replacing sheets and tablecloths all the time. The small machines typically only have a detergent injection.

Having said that, the laundry crew are not the most careful folks around, so some clothes do get damaged, but most come out fine, and clean.

Generally, the machines for uniforms and guest laundry is not set for hot water, but generally warm or cold.

The ship's laundry is what it is:

all clothes washed in very hot water, all colors mixed together, harsher chemicals than regular laundry detergent.

Bet most of us don't wash our clothes that way at home, especially the items that indicate to wash in cold water on a gentle cycle. I for one don't wash my fairly new denim jeans with my light colored clothes.

To make an assumption such as this is absurd... We've sailed more than 400 days on HAL, take long cruises & send our clothes out all the time..So far we've never had a problem..That's not saying that I will never have a problem, but I'm not going to stop because you came across a post on Carnival & are assuming that HAL's laundry is the same!

My DH shirts come back beautifully washed & pressed, my tops, slacks & all our undies come back the same way..Anything delicate I wash myself &/or wait till we get home to do up most of my formal evening clothes myself..DH's suit, Jacket & TUX I send to the cleaners & if any of mine are not washable I'll send those things to the cleaners on HAL..Always have my jeans cleaned even at home, never wash them..

I've also spent many months doing our wash in commercial laundry machines when we sailed our own boat..

Betty

Here is my post from that thread:

This has been my experience while working on cruise ships, and being the "Maytag repairman" on the laundry equipment. The large machines that the OP describes are used for the sheets, towels, tablecloths, and napkins that come to the laundry in bushels. There will also be smaller machines (some the size of the ones you have at home, some smaller in the 15-20 kg load size, and these may be in a separate laundry room. These machines are used for the guest laundry, the officers' laundry, and the crew uniforms. These are generally in the same area or room with the dry cleaning machines, the pressing stations (for clothes, not the large roll ironers used for sheets, etc). While the OP is correct about the chemical injection in the large machines, it is carefully metered, as the company does not want to spend money replacing sheets and tablecloths all the time. The small machines typically only have a detergent injection.

Having said that, the laundry crew are not the most careful folks around, so some clothes do get damaged, but most come out fine, and clean.

Generally, the machines for uniforms and guest laundry is not set for hot water, but generally warm or cold.

Thank you chengkp for your very informative posts!

BTW Forgot to mention that some HAL ships have laundry rooms just for Psgrs use..

I did my own laundry, when we first started cruising, but have not used them in a long time as don't want to spend our vacations doing laundry.. Even when we had to pay for our laundry by the bag we decided to send it out..LOL

Have a nice day..Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Dear all,

we also use since many years the onboard laundry service – they are good fast and perfect.

But – on any latest cruises -> one of my undies short did not re-appear……! :confused: