10:40 AM flight enough time?

Ash1982

Hello! My cruise arrives at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning into the Port of Miami. I was wondering if it's doable to make a 10:40 am flight out of FLL airport? I really don't know how long it takes to disembark (Celebrity Reflection), clear customs, get to FLL, and clear security. Might also be helpful to know that this is during February school break time.

Totally not a good idea...? It's either that wait until a 4:45 pm flight, which is a LONG time to wait.

Thanks!

:eek: That's cutting it pretty close..it's approx 30 min + drive from POM to FLL....If you're going to take the chance be in the first group off, carry your own luggage and have private transportation arranged. Good luck.

Thanks for getting back to me! As I am thinking about what you wrote I'm wondering if all that rushing/worrying/high-blood-pressuring (which would happen to me because I worry about everything) will completely ruin the wonderfully relaxing week I just had on the ship! PROBABLY not worth it... Waiting around can be annoying but at least I can remain calm while doing so!

Hello! My cruise arrives at 7:00 am on a Saturday morning into the Port of Miami. I was wondering if it's doable to make a 10:40 am flight out of FLL airport? I really don't know how long it takes to disembark (Celebrity Reflection), clear customs, get to FLL, and clear security. Might also be helpful to know that this is during February school break time.

Totally not a good idea...? It's either that wait until a 4:45 pm flight, which is a LONG time to wait.

Thanks!

Don't even try it - stressed out is not the way to end your vacation! Most cruise lines have excursions that will then drop you and your luggage off at the airport (airboat rides in the Everglades are popular).

Do not, I repeat do Not do this.

Do not book anything before Noon.

It is not about stress. You will likely miss the flight.

Either take the later flight, fly home the following day or book a flight out of Miami.

Keith

Take the late flight, rent a car in Miami, bags in the trunk, head to South Beach or the Hollywood boardwalk for lunch & people watching (and maybe one more dip in the ocean) before heading to the FLL airport.

Hertz offers free shuttles from POM to their downtown location; Avis is also in downtown but no free shuttles (only a $10-12 cab). National, Alamo and Thrifty offer free POM shuttles to their MIA airport location.

Good luck! :)

Why do so many insist on asking the question?? It has been responded to many times. The cruise line tell you not to book a flight before about 12:30

Try that in FLL when the Oasis dumps its 5000 people into the airport.

Carnival posts in their FAQs not to book before noon for Port of Miami to FLL. We are breaking this rule by a bit (flight is 11:45) but still plan to self assist and be among the first off. Hopefully it works!

I personally would not book a 10:30 flight. Too much can go wrong.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I truly appreciate it. I actually HAD done a lot of research into this (ahem, @Talisker92) but wanted some additional confirmation.

I'm going to take the later flight and look into some post-cruise excursion options... that sounds fun! I would normally stay an extra night but my husband's a teacher (the cruise week is his spring break) and wants a full Sunday to regroup before heading back in Monday. We specifically booked a Saturday-Saturday cruise for that reason. Otherwise I would definitely do that. Something to think about for the next time!!

Again, thank you!

Keith -- I'm so glad you mentioned the sequester... I wasn't even thinking about that! (I don't fly too terribly often, in case you haven't guessed!) Who knows what airport security might be like with THAT on top of the usual spring-breakers-back-to-NY crowd.

Thanks again.

OP--very wise decision to take the later flight.

We have cruised out of many different ports and flown into all of them except for Port Canaveral, but I can say that it took us longer to get through security & check-in at MIA (San Juan being a close 2nd), than any other airport. We already had a flight after noon, but after going through that, I knew for sure that I would never book a flight before noon, especially at MIA.

Have a great cruise!!

I'm having the same problem. Originally had a flight out of FLL for 11:47, now I rec'd an email that they changed the flight time to 10:54... UGH

What does everyone think the best option would be?

I'm having the same problem. Originally had a flight out of FLL for 11:47, now I rec'd an email that they changed the flight time to 10:54... UGH

What does everyone think the best option would be?

Are you coming into Port Everglades or Port of Miami? Wehn?

Sorry POM and cruise docs state 8:00 am arrival :eek:

I wouldn't do it - too stressful. Since the airline changed your flight time, I think you should be able to request a later flight without incurring a change fee. That's what I would do.

Sorry POM and cruise docs state 8:00 am arrival :eek:

I wouldn't do it - too stressful. Since the airline changed your flight time, I think you should be able to request a later flight without incurring a change fee. That's what I would do.

I agree--call the airline & demand they change it with no fee. If you arrival time is 8am, it may be 9am before you can even get off the ship. That doesn't include getting a taxi to the airport and checking in & going through security.

I agree--call the airline & demand they change it with no fee. If you arrival time is 8am, it may be 9am before you can even get off the ship. That doesn't include getting a taxi to the airport and checking in & going through security.

I thought about that and checked and of course this is the only flight of the day. We are flying JetBlue into Stewart Airport in NY and they only offer one flight per day!!!!! WTH??? Ok, I'm not gonna panic. Spoke with the BF about this and we agreed we will do our best to hustle out and get to FLL, but if you miss it we miss. Who knows what the cost is gonna be if we have to go the next day, hotel + flight change. UGH!!!

I thought about that and checked and of course this is the only flight of the day. We are flying JetBlue into Stewart Airport in NY and they only offer one flight per day!!!!! WTH??? Ok, I'm not gonna panic. Spoke with the BF about this and we agreed we will do our best to hustle out and get to FLL, but if you miss it we miss. Who knows what the cost is gonna be if we have to go the next day, hotel + flight change. UGH!!!

You're coming into POM, but flying out of FLL. NO way would we ever try this. I truly do not think you will make this flight!! You do realize it is a 40 min drive, right? That is without traffic.

You need to call and request to speak to a supervisor. Advise him/her that due to returning from a cruise, that you will not make it to the airport in time for the earlier flight. Tell him/her that you need a flight for the next day, with no fee change. You can extend your vaca by one day and stay overnight and fly out the next day. If you miss your flight, (very high chance you will), you will have to stay anyway.;)

You're coming into POM, but flying out of FLL. NO way would we ever try this. I truly do not think you will make this flight!! You do realize it is a 40 min drive, right? That is without traffic.

You need to call and request to speak to a supervisor. Advise him/her that due to returning from a cruise, that you will not make it to the airport in time for the earlier flight. Tell him/her that you need a flight for the next day, with no fee change. You can extend your vaca by one day and stay overnight and fly out the next day. If you miss your flight, (very high chance you will), you will have to stay anyway.;)

Really?? Would that really work??? Guess it won't hurt to try.

Really?? Would that really work??? Guess it won't hurt to try.

It might work IF the airline,due to a schedule update, changed your original flight from an acceptable time (sometime after noon) to an unacceptable time. Good luck! :)

Archived