Storing digital images on cruise

Anyone have any problems putting their cameras in Checked luggage in camera bag?

Record the serial number so you have a better chance of finding it on Ebay when you get back from your trip.

In all seriousness, DO NOT check your camera equipment. It is just too tempting for the large number of hands that pass your equipment from place to place in the airport and locks are made for honest people.

Electronics, cash and jewelry is specifically mentioned in the TSA's "do not pack in checked luggage" list. I don't think they mention that because it's a security threat.

Dave

Anyone have any problems putting their cameras in Checked luggage in camera bag?

To be sure that your cameras, lenses, and PC/tablets do not fall into unfriendly hands, keep them in your carry-on bags. All of the other equipment (cards, chargers, power cables, cases, keyboards, flashes, batteries, etc.) can be easily replaced and can be safely placed in checked baggage.

Every cruise I have been on the ship had a few computers (usually in or near the library) that you could use. Would you not be able to use one of those to plug in your memory card and your portable hard drive into and transfer the photos/files over? Something to do on a sea day.

I know on one cruise I did use the ship computer that had a built in memory card reader to solve an issue with one of my cameras memory cards.

Every cruise I have been on the ship had a few computers (usually in or near the library) that you could use. Would you not be able to use one of those to plug in your memory card and your portable hard drive into and transfer the photos/files over? Something to do on a sea day.

I know on one cruise I did use the ship computer that had a built in memory card reader to solve an issue with one of my cameras memory cards.

Most on-board computers have restricted access to any form of external input to guard against virus infestation. They also offer a download to CD service for a fee, so it isn't in their best interest to offer a free alternative.

I have tried several options and the netbooks are still the best bang for the buck.

Dave

To be sure that your cameras, lenses, and PC/tablets do not fall into unfriendly hands, keep them in your carry-on bags. All of the other equipment (cards, chargers, power cables, cases, keyboards, flashes, batteries, etc.) can be easily replaced and can be safely placed in checked baggage.

Some of these things can't be "easily replaced" at your destination, and if you want to be sure they get to where you are going, it's a good idea to put them in your carry-on. (That would include the camera batteries and chargers, which are often specific to your type of camera, and without which you will have nada. While you can "easily" replace them at home, good luck trying to find the exact thing you need in a foreign city.)

Almost certainly not because of virus issues. If you can afford the cruise and want to do backups, you can afford a tablet computer.

DON

My camera, camera equipment, laptop NEVER NEVER NEVER see the inside of my checked bag. They always go with me. Besides, you never know when a good photo op might pop up. (airport, in flight, at port etc etc)

+1 for TruckerDave. My carry-on bag goes in the overhead bin, the camera bag goes underneath the seat in front of me for quick access during the flight. I also never book seats at the Bulkhead as there is no under the seat in front of you for stuff. My current camera bag (Lowepro) has a slot for my MacBook Pro in its backside so things get more comfy.

Archived