alaska 2014

Rhonbru

we are planning on going to alaska next year, we want to do a cruise tour holiday, I have been researching on holland america site and would like to ask a few questions:

1...we are hoping to go between May to July....what is the best time

2...there are so many options that it is hard to decide as coming from australia don't have a clue what to look for in a trip to alaska

3...have reseached about 5 cruise tours lasting between 11 to 14 days, they seem to be on the Statendam and Oosterdam ships, is one ship better than the other, the Oosterdam seems to be cheaper but not by much.

we hope to do a cruise tour because our travel agent said it was not worth paying for airfares to only do a 5 day criuse and to make it worthwile she said we needed to do a land trip as well, we are really not confident to do a land trip by ourselves so thought that the cruisetours that holland american were offering might be a good idea.

4....what do people think of these options...as anyone done one with holland america.

Instead of a cruise tour, why not consider HAL's 14 day Alaskan itinerary that they are bringing back in 2014? It is a wonderful itinerary, going to some little visited ports like Homer, Kodiak and Anchorage itself (not Whittier or Seward). Excellent port times, lovely smaller ship (Amsterdam), and as I said, a terrific itinerary, a true 14 day sailing with no repeat ports. Another plus is that it sails round trip from Seattle which may be less costly for you, airfare wise. Just something to consider.... There are only 4 sailings of this itinerary in 2014 - May, June, July and August, I believe. I've done it twice before and will be on the May 18th sailing next year - it is THAT good! Come join us!

I agree with the TA that if you're coming all this way, you might as well make it worth your while. Take a land tour along with a cruise to maximize your experience of The Great Land.

I highly recommend you take the longest land tour you can, and do that before the cruise. The land tour is arduous, and the cruise will allow you time to recover, while still enjoying the spectacular scenery Alaska has to offer.

If you can find a tour that offers extra time at Denali, then do it! It will increase your chance of seeing the mountain in all its glory, and maybe even take a flight up there.

The Statendam is a much smaller ship than the Oosterdam, but significantly older, too. Personally, I prefer the smaller ships as they are easier to get around quickly (which is nice on scenic glacier viewing day), and have a lot more comfortable outdoor space from which to sit, relax, and just enjoy the scenery.

Either ship, though, will provide a lovely cruise. If you want a balcony, then the Oosterdam will have a wider selection of styles.

I agree with Ruth C. We did a cruisetour last year. 19 night tour first/cruise second. You need to see more than you can see from just the ship. We loved our first cruise to Alaska (we just did a 7 night cruise r/t Vancouver), but the tour is so spectacular.

Our trip was late May to early June. I think, really, anytime you can get there, would be great.

I have been to Alaska twice with Holland American once in August and the second time in last year in July. The one point I would like to share with you is to be sure that your cruise includes cruising in Glacier Bay National Park. In the Park, if you lucky, you'll see the Glacier calving and whales feeding. The weather maybe snowy in May.

I agree with AIP that the 14 day itinerary was an amazing itinerary and will certainly make 7 day alaska trips never the same again! I think you still may be best to do a land tour to extend your trip and get the most out of your time.

We have done the 14 day Alaskan cruise and it is wonderful. But you don't get a chance to get inland to Denali.

If you can afford the time -- take the 14 day land tour first and then the 7 day cruise on the Oosterdam.

Years ago -- on Princess -- we did the land portion first -- long days on the buses and trains. That gave us 7 days to rest up on the cruise before flying home.

I agree with those who said to do a land tour first and the cruise second. The land portion can require early risings, so the cruise will give you a chance to relax. Decide how much time you can spend travelling, then look for the longest land tour that fits that time frame. I've known people who had terrible weather in May, others who had great weather in May. Most people I know who have visited Alaska in June and July have had lovely weather. The good weather/bad weather seems to start again in August. (We were lucky. We had decent weather on our August Alaska trip -- only two days of rain.)

Archived