To fly or not to fly....that is the question!

jovifan78

I'm booked for the first week of April and I am torn between a relatively quick flight or driving 15 hours! There are good and bad things about both but my main concern for driving is having to leave my car in Miami for a week. I've read way to many horror stories on here about vehicles. :eek: My question is what would you do if you were in my situation? Keep in mind the flights might cost an additional $200, which isn't bad considering the convenience.

We have always driven from Jacksonville to Miami and Port Everglades and left our car. No problems yet. I hope I didn't just jinx us.

We're leaving our car in Sept in Ft Lauderdale.

you could find a hotel with Park N' Cruise, leave your car there and use their shuttle if you don't want to use one of the big lots.

Well I got a decent rate at the Holiday Inn near the port but they no longer allow you to leave your car for the duration of the cruise. :( I guess i'll be checking on other hotels if I do drive. And I know it is in April but if we do decide to fly i would rather get those tickets sooner than later.

Well considering gas, food. extra lodging (if you spend a night on the road )

and parking costs you might not save any money by driving plus we are talking a total of 30 hours on the road.

No matter what I would do I would arrive the day before.

Do not fly that day nor drive that day. Things can go wrong.

I like flying so I would fly.

Have you considered renting a car each way versus the cost of parking.

Keith

Approx 1500 miles round trip will cost you $750 in gas plus wear and tear on your car; add in at least one night in a hotel ($100+) plus parking at POM ($140) and meals/drinks and I'd take another look at flying.

Good luck! :)

No matter what I would do I would arrive the day before.

Do not fly that day nor drive that day. Things can go wrong.

I like flying so I would fly.

Have you considered renting a car each way versus the cost of parking.

Keith

The cost of 2 one way car rentals will be about 5 times the cost parking I don't think that would be a good option :eek:

We go through the same debate everytime we cruise from Florida. It's about a 14 hour drive for us to Miami. The ride down isn't bad as you're excited about the trip and such. We always plan for an extra night at our destination when we drive so that we have a full day to relax before catching the ship (extra hotel & food). The ride home is not nearly as fun. We find we don't enjoy the last night on the shop as much since we have to be up early and not hungover. We rush to do self assist and have been in the car as early as 7 am to start the drive home. Inevitably we hit traffic, I think they've been working on 95 thru Georgia for 5 years, and arrive home very late, cranky and tired but wound up so can't sleep.

After calculating all the costs associated with driving and factoring in about another 15% for the stress factor (DH's driving is very stressful for me:eek:), there needs to be at least a $700 difference for us to drive (when 3 or more are travelling). You should also consider if you have to work the next day. Sometimes driving means an extra day or 2 away from work.

I did check on renting a car but they charge a $325 drop off fee at each airport. Needless to say renting a car is almost $300 more than the plane tickets and that's not counting gas. :( so that option is out for sure! I hate difficult adult decisions. Lol my main concern with flying is that I can't bring my sombrero back. Lol And that is a must. :)

Try flying into FLL, Palm Beach, or even Orlando for better prices than flights to Miami -- I would also try to wear the sombrero on the plane to avoid having it damamged! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure just where you live in WV, but have you thought about the auto train from Lorton Va to Sanford , Fla. Not sure of your circumstances but that might be a option. Personally not fond of flying anymore to much hassle so we looked into the auto train and that is on our list for our cruise down the road. Prices vary depending on the time you travel but you leave Va at 4 and arrive the next morning in Sanford and if time wasn't a factor go a day early.

Just a thought..;)

I'm booked for the first week of April and I am torn between a relatively quick flight or driving 15 hours! There are good and bad things about both but my main concern for driving is having to leave my car in Miami for a week. I've read way to many horror stories on here about vehicles. :eek: My question is what would you do if you were in my situation? Keep in mind the flights might cost an additional $200, which isn't bad considering the convenience.

Do you have car insurance?

Not sure just where you live in WV, but have you thought about the auto train from Lorton Va to Sanford , Fla. Not sure of your circumstances but that might be a option. Personally not fond of flying anymore to much hassle so we looked into the auto train and that is on our list for our cruise down the road. Prices vary depending on the time you travel but you leave Va at 4 and arrive the next morning in Sanford and if time wasn't a factor go a day early.

Just a thought..;)

So your suggesting that they pay for train tickets, shipping the car, driving 250 miles each way, and a hotel room? Wouldn't just be a lot cheaper and much less of a hassle to just fly in ?

But are not you also required to have a handicap scooter?

Different ports and airports interpret the Florida law in different ways. At FLL you have to have hand controls on your steering wheel while at the POM you only have to have a placard or handicapped plates along with the driver's license of the person they're registered to.

Just a thought..;)

I would just take the train period. It's cheap and very relaxing. It is truly the most stress free I've ever traveled.

I'd just fly the day prior, stay at a nice hotel, have a nice dinner and essentially add a day to your cruise vacation. I know the total distanceof your potential train ride is not as far, but a couple of years ago friends from Fla took the train up to NYC...IT WAS SEVEN HOURS LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't matter how you choose to get to Florida for your cruise, it will be a hassle and costly, there is ALWAYS a hassle at the airports. Yes trains can be late and they can be costly also and of course if you drive that's a hassle also especially on I-95 and with gas prices, so you might as well as bite the bullet and pay for the way that you want. We are choosing the train ride to add to the experience to the vacation and yes I have to drive to Lorton but I am also at least two hours from the nearest big airport so I need to drive some anyhow. Plus husband will not fly!!

So dig a little deeper and enjoy your cruise.

My earlier post was just a suggestion not the solution as I do not know where you live in WV and only you can weigh your costs..

But have a great cruise.:D

Archived