Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

If in fact this new policy means one is asked to drink house wine on a 7 day cruise instead of bringing one's own choice for in-cabin use, for let's say four of the seven days, after you deduct the two bottles you get in your carry on if traveling in a pair, this is reason for brand loyalty revolt?

I must be missing something.

Is HAL making a distinction between "wine/champagne" versus their listed prohibited alcoholic beverages - to mean only prohibiting beer, boxed wine or other liquors and spirits"?

Or does the policy term alcoholic beverages also include wine/champagne?

In other words is this new policy only restricting amounts of embarkation day carry-on wine, but nothing else?

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard.

OlsSalt, I'm not seeing the problem that you are. They are pretty clearly stating that the only alcohol you can bring aboard is 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person. No other alcohol is allowed to be brought aboard.

What are you seeing that's different from that?

Surfergirl -dh is Spanish & Mexican origen. I have 2 recipes for white and red sangria that are in Spanish in origin. They do not have to be made a week in advance and go over big time at my summer parties.

If you want to email me (in my signature) I will be happy to share the recipes with you. You could easily provide these to HAL and they could be made for you.

And, despite what Stephen posted (Topsham) they are authentic sangria recipes and do not take days. Not arguing with him - just saying:D

I always understood Spanish Sangria was made with the usual inexpensive red wine, inexpensive brandy and fruit. Loved sipping on this concoction on our trip to 5 Canary Islands and feeding fruit to the local lizards. Fred, me and the lizards really enjoyed the time in the sun.:):D:)

Yes thanks Lisa for the heads up on the new alcohol policy.

I agree with everyone that there should have been a date in the future when this new policy would start. I feel sorry for the people who have left for their cruise early with wine to take on board to now have it taken from them if more than the one bottle per person.

Just for the fun of it I went onto the wine list and picked a couple of bottles of wine and compared the price to Total Wine. Here is what I found and why I like to take a couple of bottles with me.

North Star Merlot from Walla Walla - Hal $115 per bottle, Total Wine $25.99 for year 2005 and $37.99 for year 2008

Sokol Blosser Evolution Hal $56.25, Total Wine $12.99 (this is a good wine from Oregon and I buy it all the time on sale at the grocery store)

Kendall Jackson Reserve Chardonnay Hal $61.25, Total Wine $12.97

A huge mark up for grocery store wine.

I am 18 points away from achieving 4-star status and am past the full payment date for a 7-night outing in September that will get me down to single digits. And there, I fear, is where it will end.

As some of you know, Sis and I spend freely in the MDR and the various lounges onboard. We have never taken wine from our cabin out into the public areas but we do enjoy a pre-dinner drink and nightcap back in the room.

Now, if I’m getting this right, we’ll need to call room service – probably around the same time as all the other folks who care for a pre-dinner drink in their cabins – and wait while the ever-shrinking number of servers scurry to keep up with increased demand. And we’ll pay handsomely for the privilege.

I used to think that the Mariner program was in place to reward and nurture the relationships with loyal customers. Now I’m realizing that it’s actually more of an “expiration date.” By the time that fourth star is in reach, the list of “things of I used to love about HAL” is long and yellowed.

Does anyone have a link to the prices for “In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages….”

And thanks, Lisa, for the heads-up.

You can call Room Service the day you board and order however many bottles you want for your whole cruise. Open them when you wish. Or ou can likely order them in advance (Ships Services 800-541-1576) and they will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive.

People have been doing that for hard liquors for years.

You do not have to buy one bottle at a time.

I am 18 points away from achieving 4-star status and am past the full payment date for a 7-night outing in September that will get me down to single digits. And there, I fear, is where it will end.

As some of you know, Sis and I spend freely in the MDR and the various lounges onboard. We have never taken wine from our cabin out into the public areas but we do enjoy a pre-dinner drink and nightcap back in the room.

Now, if I’m getting this right, we’ll need to call room service – probably around the same time as all the other folks who care for a pre-dinner drink in their cabins – and wait while the ever-shrinking number of servers scurry to keep up with increased demand. And we’ll pay handsomely for the privilege.

I used to think that the Mariner program was in place to reward and nurture the relationships with loyal customers. Now I’m realizing that it’s actually more of an “expiration date.” By the time that fourth star is in reach, the list of “things of I used to love about HAL” is long and yellowed.

Does anyone have a link to the prices for “In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages….”

And thanks, Lisa, for the heads-up.

Somehow, reading about the exploits of the "tap water" sisters won't be quite the same, but if ya can't bring Chardonnay...

Here is HAL's wine list as of 4/13. It is in two parts and previously posted by KK.

Sorry...... it isn't copying and pasting here are links to Part One and Part Two.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38129328&postcount=9

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38129352&postcount=10

Edited by sail7seas

Im def not going to be buying a jug at a time, we take pre bottled sangria usually, its not messy, it lasts longer, etc. but i am hoping they will either special order me some bottles, or make it and sell it to me by the glass.

Quint sangria is whats being sold at a lot of places here in the wine country, it does not have the musty, fermented taste that cheap bottled sangria has.

http://Www.quintllc.com but it is $8 a glass and $32 for a jug,band WELL worth every penny.

My DH, only wine he drinks is Sangria, ( because he just discovered it) he also drinks sparkling wine ( flavored like almond, or sparkling shiraz)...

Hopefully they can just special order what we need, ( ports, sparkling wine etc)

Then the only issue with HAL will be how they didn't tell clients, who gave them money, planned vacations, in good faith under the old policy... They did not tell travel agent partners either...

Hi...you've mentioned no sangria on board, but I have had it in Pinnacle each time I've dined there, which is only 3 times. It was beautiful....fruit so precisely placed, almost didn't look real:):). Might not be to your taste....but indeed they did have it, at least those times...last time 2yrs ago on Volendam.

I am sorely disappointed with this change. Will most definitely be checking other lines.

I see the cabins with bathtubs beginning to sell at a premium. Passengers will be boarding with massive amounts of grapes and stomping their own wine. :)

LOL - that is just too funny:D:D:D

Be careful if you are going to pre-order. I called HAL about Irish Mist and they said they did not carry it, but could get it for me. I said, great.

They had it in the cabin when we boarded. The bill came at the end of the cruise and they charged me what it would cost at the bar for each drink. The cost for a $30 Bottle of Irish Mist was $107.00. I might as well complained to a tree for all the good it did. :mad:

Im def not going to be buying a jug at a time, we take pre bottled sangria usually, its not messy, it lasts longer, etc. but i am hoping they will either special order me some bottles, or make it and sell it to me by the glass.

Quint sangria is whats being sold at a lot of places here in the wine country, it does not have the musty, fermented taste that cheap bottled sangria has.

Www.quintllc.com but it is $8 a glass and $32 for a jug,band WELL worth every penny.

My DH, only wine he drinks is Sangria, ( because he just discovered it) he also drinks sparkling wine ( flavored like almond, or sparkling shiraz)...

Hopefully they can just special order what we need, ( ports, sparkling wine etc)

Then the only issue with HAL will be how they didn't tell clients, who gave them money, planned vacations, in good faith under the old policy... They did not tell travel agent partners either...

Hi...you've mentioned no sangria on board, but I have had it in Pinnacle each time I've dined there, which is only 3 times. It was beautiful....fruit so precisely placed, almost didn't look real:):). Might not be to your taste....but indeed they did have it, at least those times...last time 2yrs ago on Volendam.

I am sorely disappointed with this change. Will most definitely be checking other lines.

Wow i have never seen it on any menu! Would be great if they had it on the NA.

be careful if you are going to pre-order. I called hal about irish mist and they said they did not carry it, but could get it for me. I said, great.

They had it in the cabin when we boarded. The bill came at the end of the cruise and they charged me what it would cost at the bar for each drink. The cost for a $30 bottle of irish mist was $107.00. I might as well complained to a tree for all the good it did. :mad:

ouch!

i am a four-star, and all of this business is just another 'nail in the coffin' as far as my future interest in HAL is concerned. there are enough 'nails' already, at least for me. and, wow, HAL has been banging the nails fast and furious lately. anyone 'smell' desperate? like a once proud business going down the tubes? inevitably extict, but still struggling. like studebaker, packard, nash, or whatever. soon to be gone, and later to be forgotten. once grand, but no longer. sad, sad.

i am a four-star, and all of this business is just another 'nail in the coffin' as far as my future interest in HAL is concerned. there are enough 'nails' already, at least for me. and, wow, HAL has been banging the nails fast and furious lately. anyone 'smell' desperate? like a once proud business going down the tubes? inevitably extict, but still struggling. like studebaker, packard, nash, or whatever. soon to be gone, and later to be forgotten. once grand, but no longer. sad, sad.

For once, I agree with you. It does smell desperate.

I am not saying that HAL should have every wine that I like - and I don't think others are either - they need to improve their wine list.

If those that bring wine on board sail HAL and buy Hal's wine -is the recycling going to go down? i think not.

I don't see how you can sample local wines in your room if you are not allowed to bring them on - the local wines are in the different ports - the port of embarkation may not be the one that has the best offerings - as I said - I have no problem with a corkage fee - but going from one extreme to the other with no notice to the passengers isn't very good. Not everyone is on cruise critic after all.

When HAL brought out the new smoking policy it took effect 6 months later -not immediately - that gave people time to either (a) cheer (b) adapt or © change their bookings.

I pity the people getting onboard and not knowing in just a few days. They are going to be caught off guard and embarrassed and angry . One can often lead to the other

and a cruise in Canada/New England and/or the Caribbean is not the same as Europe - sorry, it's a whole different kettle of fish. Ice Wine I would bring home too - but you're talking Canada/New England Cruise. Caribbean, Canada to me it's no biggie. but Europe, the Med is a different situation - at least to us.

I'm with LindaM on this one - but obviously she and i do more Europe so perhaps that changes things. At least it does for us.

Each to their own - you're happy - others aren't.

fortunately we all have choices :D

oh and for flhawkeye - no flames from me for switching - why book a suite if you can't entertain or enjoy some time there - I usually have pop/juice for those that don't drink, HAL's liquor for those that prefer that and our wine that I have brought on board. It's part of the fun of having the space - enjoy yours on your cruise.

Jacqui

Excellent post and you said it much better than I would have! While i don't like the change (and I think it's a stupid decision) I am most appalled by the fact that it is taking effect immediately. No advance notice, no grace period, nothing.

We are switching to Celebrity. We have been thinking of trying them for awhile and this is a good opportunity to vote with our feet (and our money)!!

Grrrrrrr...

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add highlight color

Surfergirl -dh is Spanish & Mexican origen. I have 2 recipes for white and red sangria that are in Spanish in origin. They do not have to be made a week in advance and go over big time at my summer parties.

If you want to email me (in my signature) I will be happy to share the recipes with you. You could easily provide these to HAL and they could be made for you.

And, despite what Stephen posted (Topsham) they are authentic sangria recipes and do not take days. Not arguing with him - just saying:D

I enjoy Sangria, as most wines are much too sour for my taste..When we have a party I always buy a bottle of Sangria..I too would love to have the recipes..You have my e-mail..Thanks in Advance..

Www.quintllc.com but it is $8 a glass and $32 for a jug,band WELL worth every penny.

Do they ship to far off places like S.W. Florida?

Lisa I too would like to thank you for starting this thread.. I've e-mailed my TA to ask if he has been notified of this HAL change of policy.. He's off until Tues.

Thanks Again..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I am nearly 5 * - could nearly touch it - doubt it will happen.

We often agree to disagree - this time, we agree (one for the record books):D:rolleyes:

Jacqui

Excellent post and you said it much better than I would have! While i don't like the change (and I think it's a stupid decision) I am most appalled by the fact that it is taking effect immediately. No advance notice, no grace period, nothing.

We are switching to Celebrity. We have been thinking of trying them for awhile and this is a good opportunity to vote with our feet (and our money)!!

Grrrrrrr...

ML

How is their policy different? Sure hope you have better luck than I do because Celebrity is not even mediocre in my mind. Princess is a lot better.