Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

The kind of Sangria a bar makes is wine, vodka and fruit.

Wine sangria, does not have hard liquor in it it is a wine and fruit juice mixture, with lots of sugar, placed over ice w added fruit.

The one with vodka is not real sangria.

Sangria is made from relatively cheap red wine. For each GALLON, add one apple, one orange, cut into slices. One cup of sugar.

You must let it sit for about a week to enable the sugar to 'work'.

Best way is it make it in a five gallon water-cooler type container. Put all the fruit and sugar it and then to the top with wine. Serve chilled or over ice.

The longer you let it sit or the more sugar you add you increase the 'taste' to higher levels of inebriation.

Enjoy!

Stephen

It's the notice period I have secondary issue with.

People that have booked and had little option of cancelling if they wish etc.

Of course if they gave notice it would create bad PR. That's why they do it with immediate effect. They would have known about this for some considerable time, meanwhile they are happy to takes people's cash, on the basis that the customers who are familiar with the longstanding policy are not aware of the change.

I have checked-in online for a cruise in a few weeks time. No mention. I've printed my luggage tags. No mention. If you google news on HAL there's also nothing about it online to date. No press release? Of course not. Sneak it in.

Seriously, you would cancel your cruise because you cannot bring your wine !!!!

Yes, I would consider it. We use our balcony a great deal and enjoy dinner with our own wine there. We don't use the bars. For us the best part of HAL is the larger balconies with decent furniture. It's a major bonus in the Med in summer especially. We love it but won't be able to do that any longer without shelling out stupid prices for bottled wine. I'm not against paying fair prices, but HAL's wine prices are just crazy. If you're sailing around the Med we all know what good value wine can be. HAL bring wine onboard in port and mark it up massively.

Edited by richarduk

I have to admit that I'm confused by the tone of some posters here...there seems to be a gleeful sort of hostility from some towards those who are disappointed by this new policy.

I guess I think of it like this-A cruise is a product, just like any other, that we choose to buy because it has certain features. Sure, it's a free market, and the vendor can do what they want, but as the consumer I get to be angry if the change doesn't work for me. I see this sense on a lot of the Disney boards I frequent-the sense that Disney can do no wrong, and we need to shut up and quit bitching if we don't like the changes. I picked this cruise for a bunch of reasons: choice of ports, review of ship, cost, and amenities that included the ability to bring wine onboard. The deal is different now, and yeah, I think I have a right to be unhappy about that.

And what's with the implication that folks that are unhappy about this change are living in debt, dependent on credit cards? I think people become debt free and live within their means by being thoughtful about how they spend the money, and looking for good value: bad wine for eight bucks a glass is not good value.

Well said !!!

Well said Cruisebabe !

Little by little, we try to restrict individual freedoms. soon we will have to pay a fee to breathe. I am curious to see what is next on the "chopping-service" list at HAL...

Holacanada from Quebec city.

Next cruise on Noordam for the 21 days Collector Cruise / Turkey's At Sea...

We were just on a Celebrity cruise and you cannot bring more than one bottle of wine on the cruise with you board, so it will not be any different than Hal. The purchase of a bottle of wine on the ship was a better deal than Hal, I am sorry to say. The bottle of wine we purchased on Celebrity was $14 less than Hal. However the purchase of a bottle of Cdn Club is a good deal when purchased on Hal as compared to Celebrity ($80 + 6 cans of pop). So for that reason I like Hal better for sure.

We were just on a Celebrity cruise and you cannot bring more than one bottle of wine on the cruise with you board, so it will not be any different than Hal. The purchase of a bottle of wine on the ship was a better deal than Hal, I am sorry to say. The bottle of wine we purchased on Celebrity was $14 less than Hal. However the purchase of a bottle of Cdn Club is a good deal when purchased on Hal as compared to Celebrity ($80 + 6 cans of pop). So for that reason I like Hal better for sure.

Princess rescinded their original new wine policy and allows one bottle per port for those researching/comparing

Edited by kazu

Princess rescinded their original new wine policy and allows one bottle per port for those researching/comparing

Good on them!

Yet one more reason to select Princess over HAL for me. (As a solo traveler, I also get 2 credits toward their loyalty program, since I am basically paying for two people.)

Like you, it's the occasional ability to bring a bottle on from a port with good wine that I value.

I have a $500 cruise credit on HAL. Not sure now that I'll even use it. I'd better give it to my parents to use while they still allow smoking on verandas. :cool:

I'm fine with this policy, I usually buy my wine from the cruise line. I know it is expensive, but vacations for us happen only once or twice a year, so I don't mind paying the upcharge involved, and we are not wine experts....so the selection onboard is fine for us.

I know this policy change will upset some folks who are accustomed to bringing on their case of favorite wine......they have my sympathies.

This is probably what HAL will end up doing to avoid the inevitable confrontations as pax get back on the ships at ports. They may not make it an official change in the new policy immediately, but may just look the other way when a pax has a bottle of wine in their tote bag at a port.

This is probably what HAL will end up doing to avoid the inevitable confrontations as pax get back on the ships at ports. They may not make it an official change in the new policy immediately, but may just look the other way when a pax has a bottle of wine in their tote bag at a port.

Personally, I don't like breaking rules or expecting someone to look the other way. neither does DH. So, unless the policy is changed, we would follow it:(:(

of course, that's assuming we continue to sail HAL:rolleyes:

Choices - it's all about choices;)

I agree. I'll be shocked if they don't back down. I think they took this hard line so there would be room to back down.

Fortunately, the cruiseline I usually travel with, Princess, has a policy allowing more than one bottle to be brought aboard at embarkation, provided the corkage fee is paid for bottles 2 through whatever amount. And bringing wine aboard in ports is permitted, with the payment of the corkage fee. One more reason why Princess is my preferred cruiseline.

IMO, HAL needs to be more realistic toward the needs and wine preferences of their wine drinking guests.

Personally, I don't like breaking rules or expecting someone to look the other way. neither does DH. So, unless the policy is changed, we would follow it:(:(

of course, that's assuming we continue to sail HAL:rolleyes:

Choices - it's all about choices;)

We don't bring alcohol or wine on the ship either, so the new policy doesn't affect us at all. I just think going by past history of rule enforcement by HAL, they will change the port policy either officially by allowing a bottle or 2 on, w/ or w/out a corkage fee paid at the gangway, or will just look the other way. :rolleyes:

I hope that everyone who is disturbed and angry about this arbitrary, blindsiding rollout of a controversial new policy has already, or soon will, e-mail HAL under Contact Us on their site. Talk to your Travel Agents too and let them know that this is unacceptable and to pass that word along to HAL. They have taken we loyal "regulars" and even newer cruisers for granted just too long, and it's time to tell them this is over the line. It is reprehensible to change a contract midstream for those who have already booked and paid and there must be a law somewhere prohibiting this.

Remember (not that long ago) when HAL introduced the new rewards program which replaced the medals? So many people contacted them that they brought them (the medals) back. So definitely email HAL about this: Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

The suddeness of this is typically bad PR - IMO, they should have stated that the changed policy would be in effect starting with new bookings as of a specific date. It still needs to be thought thru as to allowing one bottle per port to accommodate in port purchases, especially with winery tours.

OTOH, I wonder if HAL is "floating" this idea to see what reaction would be, with plans to "rethink" it once they see what the issues are. They have an easy, ready-made "focus group" here on CC and at least one poster willing to initiate the conversation.

Good Morning All.

I also am not happy with the change in policy, considering that I am past final payment. I will still thoroughly enjoy my cruise.

I have taken the time to e-mail Holland America Customer Service, my personal Cruise Consultant and posted my comment on Facebook.

I reccomend that if others have the time, you should do the same. It may not change the policy or delay it, but it would allow them to understand how the loyal passengers feel.

In the end, I cannot wait to sale from Veince in 5 weeks.

Matt

I've read repeatedly in this thread how great Celebrity's wine list and wine prices are.

What I don't understand is if they are so much more to your liking, why are you not sailing their ships? :confused: Even before HAL's policy change if you liked Celebrity's choices so much, why were you lugging wine to HAL when you could have simply enjoyed the wine list on board "X's" ships?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by sail7seas

I've read repeatedly in this thread how great Celebrity's wine list and wine prices are.

What I don't understand is if they are so much more to your liking, why are you not sailing their ships? :confused: Even before HAL's policy change if you liked Celebrity's choices so much, why were you lugging wine to HAL when you could have simply enjoyed the wine list on board "X's" ships?

I guess for some folks bringing wine on is the be all and end all and trumps everything. I also don't understand people being horrified at having to use paper towels in a bathroom. Imagine, I've worked for over 30 years and have used paper towels the whole time and lived through it:D.

I am disappointed to hear of the new policy. Very shortsighted.

We bring many bottles of expensive wine with us, none of which are available on HAL's limited and mediocre wine list. We spend about $45 to $75 a bottle at a wine shop. Those wines would be $150 to $200 on board, but of course not available on HAL. We never have an issue paying corkage, it still turns out to be a bargain.

I fell HAL could do what NCL does and just charge corkage at the pier. Easy profit for them.

Please note that we still spent $1200 of on board spending for the week.

We not sail HAL by choice. We go on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise and choose the sailing date, not the ship. The fact that we could bring on whatever wine we wanted was a nice part of the cruise. It should be mentioned that the LRBC is one of the most profitable weeks for HAL, if not THE most profitable cruise. Lots of folks bring on wine and still spend an astonishing amount on booze. There is a ongoing joke as to who has the biggest bar tab for the week, many spend thousands.

I hope HAL rethinks their policy and let us have the choice to pay corkage for the wine we bring on board.

Many of us do sail on Celebrity with some regularity. The compensating factor that balanced HAL's weak wine list was the liberal bring aboard policy. I, and many others, are capable of selecting good wines to bring aboard. That means I have enjoyed great wine aboard HAL regardless of their generally weak offerings. This new policy severely limits my ability to compensate for their wine list. If they don't greatly improve the quality and pricing of their list, it becomes a deal killer for me. If they had a wine list as good as RCI or Celebrity, this wouldn't be an issue for me.

Just one more example of HA throwing out their past "upscale and classy" policies in favor of becoming more like a Carnival Cruise. Just think of it...no more bringing decent wine aboard, no buying a great local wine in Europe and enjoying it on your verandah or at dinner, etc. And now, HA is also starting to sell "all you can drink" packages which might attract a younger clientele looking to get "smashed" every day (similar to what we have seen on some other lines). As they say in an old song, "them times they are a changing."

And there are unintended consequences. For example, while on a Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam we spent a day on the island or Korcula where DW and did some wine tasting. At one vineyard we discovered a pretty rare (and relatively unknown) wine called Grk. After enjoy this white wine with the vineyard owner, and learning about the history of this grape, we bought a bottle to take back to the ship. That night we took it to the MDR and enjoyed about half the bottle. We gave the remainder to the Wine Sommelier (who had never even heard of this grape) so that he (and his staff) could taste the wine. This got us lots of thanks from the wine stewards and Sommelier since it furthered their personal knowledge of wine. With this new policy this could never happen. I should add that over the years we have routinely purchased interesting wines ashore and later shared them with the wine staff onboard.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I for one find it surprising you said this Judy. You, being a HAL loyalist would certainly appreciate others who enjoy and prefer HAL ships.

In our case, we prefer HAL. The ability to bring wine on board balanced things off for us. Especially in Europe and Australia. We still ordered HAL's wine in the MDR & the bars.

Just because I am not a vegetarian does not mean I would not support others if HAL took that option away. To me, this is somewhat similar.

Just read the first and part of the last page of this topic.

We also bring some wine on board...a bottle or two of our favorite that we drink on our balcony while enjoying a private sail away! This new policy will not prevent us from sailing on HAL however, I am very disappointed that there will be no more purchasing a bottle in various ports. That was always an extra highlight for us when we travelled. We have enjoyed some super wine that we have never been able to find again!!!

I would also like to email HAL. I am sure that someone somewhere has already done that and could you please send me the email that would be best to use. Like I said, I haven't read everyone's posting.

I will also contact my TA and express my displeasure. We have 2 cruises booked..Alaska in 5 weeks and Australia in March...and I am only 24 days from being a 4 star mariner!! So we love HAL and this won't change our future cruising plans with them. Just a bit disappointed!!

Thank you in advance for an email address !

Mary

I find it a little surprising that you of all HAL cruisers would ask this question. Many times in the past when you have complained about a cutback on HAL or about balcony smoking (as an example of a policy you do not like), others -- myself included -- have suggested you consider sailing with other lines where that particular problem doesn't exist. Yet you always cite your loyalty to HAL and its people as reasons to put up with the policies/changes you don't like.

Is it such a stretch to see that this is basically the same thing? I assume most folks who are HAL loyalists choose the line repeatedly for something more than just its wine policy. Yet it is still a major irritant, just like balcony smoking is a major irritant to you.