Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

conceptually I don't have a problem with this change. However I do have a problem with:

1. Lack of notice, especially to those of us who will be crusing in the very near future,

2. Not having an implementation date that is, say, December 1st, so that it won't apply to those cruises where you have already made final payment,

3. Not allowing additional bottled to be brought on in port if you pay the $20 "corkage" fee.

Bottom line, I like decent wine. I have an extensive wine cellar filled with nice wine. Most of the wine on the HAL wine lists is very expensive plonk.

As far as new/potential HAL cruisers, I took my 26 year old son on a 10 day cruise last December. After looking at the HAL wine lists online, he went to Total Wine and bought 5 nice bottles of wine, and drank most in the MDR. I told him about this new policy. He said he won't be crusing HAL again.

Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad over this announcement? I don't know that it is much different that the "old HAL policy".

The official beverage policy on most cruise lines, including HAL, has always been much more restrictive than the actual enforcement of the policy. I’m betting that not much has changed regarding enforcement of the beverage policy. As always, discretion is required.

NCL in LAX is the only place I've seen strict enforcement of the booze policy. Everything in passenger carry-on and checked luggage was confiscated and taken to a holding room. Passengers were required to go to the holding room to claim their luggage. Yet, in BCN there was a duty free shop in the NCL terminal and eveyrone was openly bringing on packages of booze. I've heard that CCL has really strict enforcement out of Florida, but I've never cruised on this line.

I suspect this is an effort by HAL to curb some of the abuse, but to totally band all booze from being brought onboard the ship would be a real hassel for crew and I'm betting it ain't gonna happen.

Ron

After sleeping on this, I would guess you may be correct. I think HAL is implementing this to control the abuse. Bringing on cases of wine and going back to the cabin to refill a bar glass is a bit much. Those folks ruined the policy for the rest of us. I thought HAL was a cruiseline for old folks....those FL cruisers must party hard! I would guess that Ft. Lauderdale is going to be watching closely. Those people are out of luck. I just can't envision people having one bottle of wine confiscated in Europe. The crew like to keep the line moving!

Princess rescinded their original new wine policy and allows one bottle per port for those researching/comparing

I would be happy with that, and really wish HAL would allow this too. It's SO much more fair for the longer cruises. On a cruise longer than 1 week (we won't take anything less than 12 days) 1 bottle is ok, but on cruises longer than a week the policy is ridiculous. We love to sample local wines too, maybe visit a winery and bring a bottle back to enjoy onboard.

For those who say HAL would very likely turn a blind eye to a bottle brought on in port, I say I don't like taking chances like that. I like to know for sure, I don't have much of a poker face, and would be the one they check for sure. :D

I'm disappointed that people show up in ball caps and track suits to the dining room.

Smokers are disappointed that they have very few places to smoke (I don't smoke)

For the above complaints the chorus always sings "Times Are Changing"

Well times are changing for the wine policy I guess as well

Edited by Wakepatrol

I've read repeatedly in this thread how great Celebrity's wine list and wine prices are.

What I don't understand is if they are so much more to your liking, why are you not sailing their ships? :confused: Even before HAL's policy change if you liked Celebrity's choices so much, why were you lugging wine to HAL when you could have simply enjoyed the wine list on board "X's" ships?

Doesn't make sense to me.

OH geez! More cheerleader posts. We have not posted anything about X on this thread, but you can count us among those who really like X (we are Elite on that line and also 4 Star Mariners on HA) for many reasons (including their wine list and neat self-service wine bars (on some ships). No reason to get "smart" with those of us who enjoy many different cruise lines (we ourselves have been on 12 lines). HA has some good points (especially their itineraries) and other lines have their pluses and minuses. Unfortunately, in recent years with all the various HA cut-backs we find fewer and fewer reasons to cruise HA. In fact, at this point the only reason we go on any HA cruise is for the itinerary or an amazing bargain. If we want to choose a cruise for the ship or overall quality there are many other lines (including X) that would be higher on our list then HA. One attractive feature of HA has been the ability of some wine lovers to bring their own selection of wines aboard. On our longer Grand Cruises we have actually witnessed passengers bringing aboard multiple cases of excellent wines (very common on the World Cruise). One wonders if some of these long-time HA fans will now be driven to other lines.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

conceptually I don't have a problem with this change. However I do have a problem with:

1. Lack of notice, especially to those of us who will be crusing in the very near future,

2. Not having an implementation date that is, say, December 1st, so that it won't apply to those cruises where you have already made final payment,

3. Not allowing additional bottled to be brought on in port if you pay the $20 "corkage" fee.

Bottom line, I like decent wine. I have an extensive wine cellar filled with nice wine. Most of the wine on the HAL wine lists is very expensive plonk.

As far as new/potential HAL cruisers, I took my 26 year old son on a 10 day cruise last December. After looking at the HAL wine lists online, he went to Total Wine and bought 5 nice bottles of wine, and drank most in the MDR. I told him about this new policy. He said he won't be crusing HAL again.

I wonder if they had waitied to implement this a few months if it would have made a difference. I see many people saying they are upset because they have made final payment. If they were able to cancel how many would? I remember when they stopped allowing smoking on balconies how many people said they would quit sailing Hal. I only know one person on this board that has kept their word. I respect people like that. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that my butt won't cash but I'm not always sucessful.

Very sensible.

My own thought is that HAL deliberately announced major restrictions so that they can back off to the above three points and mollify those that are in an uproar. I await the revision.

OH geez! More cheerleader posts. We have not posted anything about X on this thread, but you can count us among those who really like X (we are Elite on that line and also 4 Star Mariners on HA) for many reasons (including their wine list and neat self-service wine bars (on some ships). No reason to get "smart" with those of us who enjoy many different cruise lines (we ourselves have been on 12 lines). HA has some good points (especially their itineraries) and other lines have their pluses and minuses. Unfortunately, in recent years with all the various HA cut-backs we find fewer and fewer reasons to cruise HA. In fact, at this point the only reason we go on any HA cruise is for the itinerary or an amazing bargain. If we want to choose a cruise for the ship or overall quality there are many other lines (including X) that would be higher on our list then HA. One attractive feature of HA has been the ability of some wine lovers to bring their own selection of wines aboard. On our longer Grand Cruises we have actually witnessed passengers bringing aboard multiple cases of excellent wines (very common on the World Cruise). One wonders if some of these long-time HA fans will now be driven to other lines.

Hank

I guess you could be called a cheerleader as well. You've made your position on how much you love Celebrity and how poor Hal is. How is that different? I see nothing in Sails post that could be confused as cheerleading. I've got a pretty good hate on for Celebrity and there would be no policy that would sway my decision to sail on them.

The revision better come pretty darn quick for us sailing in August in Europe. Assuming I wanted to ignore the policy, which really isn't in my nature, I can't take the chance of the wines being confiscated since I'm not hauling them back to Washington!

Let's see. If I don't take them with me, HAL will just add them to their wine vault, and sell them, making even more $$ for us shareholders.

On every grand voyages I did (8 World cruises and 3 grand Asia)

How do you know that their glasses of wine do not come from one of the ship's bars? I frequently will take an unfinished glass into the MDR from one of the bars.

Further, I understand your position about people bringing in cases, but to go from one extreme to another extreme is unfair, particularly without prior notice to the booked guests.

Seriously, you would cancel your cruise because you cannot bring your wine !!!!

I think you missed the point. It's not the actual wine, or amount of wine you can bring.... it is the arbitrary and arrogant way HAL has rolled this out with no notice to pax who are about to cruise. And it changes one of the benefits of sailing on HAL - which, it must be said, they need in order for loyal customers to keep with them in spite of shabby ships and major cutbacks, and a too-liberal smoking policy.

Princess rescinded their original new wine policy and allows one bottle per port for those researching/comparing

Good detective work, Jacqui!! I haven't been to the Princess boards for a few days, but I have been doing searches to find out how it's going and implemented!!

Good detective work, Jacqui!! I haven't been to the Princess boards for a few days, but I have been doing searches to find out how it's going and implemented!!

I didn't post that well Linda - it's actually 1 bottle per person per port I believe:)

Going to be an awful lot of red mouthwash coming aboard.

Really. If you don't want to buy a few bottles aboard, should you really be cruising?

That is not the point. Those of us who enjoy wine like to sample the wines available in each port, and we like to enjoy them on our balconies. We can't enjoy them when HAL doesn't stock them. The policy should be amended to allow at least a bottle from each port.

Just read the first and part of the last page of this topic.

We also bring some wine on board...a bottle or two of our favorite that we drink on our balcony while enjoying a private sail away! This new policy will not prevent us from sailing on HAL however, I am very disappointed that there will be no more purchasing a bottle in various ports. That was always an extra highlight for us when we travelled. We have enjoyed some super wine that we have never been able to find again!!!

I would also like to email HAL. I am sure that someone somewhere has already done that and could you please send me the email that would be best to use. Like I said, I haven't read everyone's posting.

I will also contact my TA and express my displeasure. We have 2 cruises booked..Alaska in 5 weeks and Australia in March...and I am only 24 days from being a 4 star mariner!! So we love HAL and this won't change our future cruising plans with them. Just a bit disappointed!!

Thank you in advance for an email address !

Mary

from another thread - Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

I remember when they stopped allowing smoking on balconies how many people said they would quit sailing Hal. I only know one person on this board that has kept their word. I respect people like that. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that my butt won't cash but I'm not always sucessful.

They still allow smoking on balconies, don't they? That is usually what has the board up In arms.

I for one find it surprising you said this Judy. You, being a HAL loyalist would certainly appreciate others who enjoy and prefer HAL ships.

In our case, we prefer HAL. The ability to bring wine on board balanced things off for us. Especially in Europe and Australia. We still ordered HAL's wine in the MDR & the bars.

Just because I am not a vegetarian does not mean I would not support others if HAL took that option away. To me, this is somewhat similar.

But, Jacqui,,,,,,, YOU did not sing praises of Celebrity's wine list and prices. YOU are not to whom I was referring. My mention is of those who repeatedly post comments of how much better Celebrity handles wine. My post was about those folks.

Hank

You also were not among those to whom I was referring.

My message is about those who are comparing how wonderful Celebrity is. So great...... go to Celebrity. :) Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I did not include all who are unhappy with HAL's change of policy. I am totally neutral on the change. I didn't care when people brought wine aboard and I don't care they no longer can bring large quantities. We never lugged wine yet enjoy wine nightly in HAL's MDR and alternative restaurants every evening. We find plenty of choices to please us on the wine lists.

I have no horse in this race. HAL's change of wine policy means nothing to us.

Those who do have a horse and don't like what HAL did but really like what Celebrity does have a viable choice,,,, do they not?

I think you missed the point. It's not the actual wine, or amount of wine you can bring.... it is the arbitrary and arrogant way HAL has rolled this out with no notice to pax who are about to cruise. And it changes one of the benefits of sailing on HAL - which, it must be said, they need in order for loyal customers to keep with them in spite of shabby ships and major cutbacks, and a too-liberal smoking policy.

Well said! There are other small ships we can sail on that are in better shape, and have a no smoking policy. Prinsendam's perk was being able to carry on wine. And, she does have unusual itineraries---but we've almost exhausted those anyway.

I find it a little surprising that you of all HAL cruisers would ask this question. Many times in the past when you have complained about a cutback on HAL or about balcony smoking (as an example of a policy you do not like), others -- myself included -- have suggested you consider sailing with other lines where that particular problem doesn't exist. Yet you always cite your loyalty to HAL and its people as reasons to put up with the policies/changes you don't like.

Is it such a stretch to see that this is basically the same thing? I assume most folks who are HAL loyalists choose the line repeatedly for something more than just its wine policy. Yet it is still a major irritant, just like balcony smoking is a major irritant to you.

It is the combination of dissatisfaction with one cruise line (HAL) and the satisfaction with another (Celebrity) that distinguishes.

Never have you seen me rave about other cruise lines when complaining about smoking on HAL verandahs. Here we are reading the unhappiness about HAL's new Wine Policy and the raving about Celebrity's Wine Policy. If you LIKE Celebrity so much go there.

I do not like Celebrity and will not go there because of their no smoking policy. If I liked other things about Celebrity I might but we sailed them enough times to know we don't want to sail there.

We will only sail HAL or we will not sail.

However, there seem to be many here who like Celebrity enough to sail them in place of the cruise line they have been sailing (HAL). Quite a different cirumstance.

Many of us do sail on Celebrity with some regularity. The compensating factor that balanced HAL's weak wine list was the liberal bring aboard policy. I, and many others, are capable of selecting good wines to bring aboard. That means I have enjoyed great wine aboard HAL regardless of their generally weak offerings. This new policy severely limits my ability to compensate for their wine list. If they don't greatly improve the quality and pricing of their list, it becomes a deal killer for me. If they had a wine list as good as RCI or Celebrity, this wouldn't be an issue for me.

This post makes sense to me. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Personally, I don't like breaking rules or expecting someone to look the other way. neither does DH. So, unless the policy is changed, we would follow it:(:(

of course, that's assuming we continue to sail HAL:rolleyes:

Choices - it's all about choices;)

Although not a drinker, I can understand your frustration at the new policy. But your statement, I think speaks volumes towards your character. Well said.

Perhaps HAL should co-ordinate their wine policy in the same manner as their pricing.

Mariners could be permitted to bring one bottle each on board. Newbies could be permitted to bring in a case if they so wished.

This would encourage new customers while no doubt keeping the older, loyal customers.