Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Def not better! More suite perks, yes, and amazing all inclusive beverage package, persian gardens nice too, great wine list. Thats it for me, in other ways they are not better.

If HAL inproved wine list and bev package, (and didn't implement this after people gave them money in good faith under the old policy)

like if they advertised it for all new cruises booked moving forward) then we would stick w HAL...

There would be nothing wrong w it.

I don't think it s/b an expectation that Hal or any other cruise line will not change policies just because you book and pay with them unless its something serious like a smoking policy change. Things change, I think we all know that.

So I am not seeing much reason to cruise any longer, limited carry on wine/beverages. Food starting to down grade. Entertainment being downgraded. Stretched service.

Cruises always beat land vacations for the value provided, if it is not there then back to land vacations.

Land vacations may be in my future.

Well... 30 pages on this CC forum in a day and a half... obviously this is important to some.

I'm wondering why a distinction between wine and liquor?

I have not brought wine aboard (yet) because I only enjoy perhaps one drink a day, in the cabin, while getting ready for dinner. My other alcoholic drinks, I much prefer to order when I want... by the pool, at dinner, after dinner, in a show, etc. I don't want to have to go back to my room to have a drink... except for the one.

So, for me, a pint of vodka is all I need, and rarely drink all of that. For one glass of wine per day on a 7 day cruise, I'd have to bring 2 bottles of wine... so the pint makes much more sense to me.

My problem with new RULES is that it seems to just be a blanket rule without a lot of thought. One bottle for a 7 day cruise... and one bottle for a longer cruise... same policy? Non sensical to me. :confused: A reasonable rate of consumption, per day of ANY kind of liquor is more reasonable to me. A policy that allows for some personal discretion as well as enjoyment would be better... in my view.

I presume they want to improve their bottom line while preventing people from being sloppy drunk on board. I support both goals... but think an small amount of liquor should be allowed; if you allow wine, why not a modest amount of liquor?

Edited by Kenito

I don't think anyone made that statement Lorene:confused:

But I could have missed something.

the point is there are mass market lines and upscale lines that permit wine.

The point is that things have been changing on HAL. I've been pretty tolerant all along (I think I have been called a cheerleader) but this is not something I support. Remember, we tend to sail in Europe.

The whole concept that the rule would be the same for a 7 day cruise or a 30 day cruise or a 60 day cruise or even a world cruise is ludicruous.

anyways, we can agree to disagree - you know i didn't like Celebrity - but you know what? the N Amsterdam was a huge letdown too. Not at the bottom of the barrel but I certainly wouldn't have recommended anyone be on that cruise.

We have lots of loyalty numbers - NCL, Celebrity, Princess and one pile of points with a couple - so why not try one of them or go upscale - after all if I have to pay top dollar for a lower level wine all the time (not just at dinner or in the bars) - and, if I am not going to book a suite on HAL - then that changes a lot of things.

Each to their own - we all have choices - and if this policy remains as is, we have made ours!

Jacqui,

Surely I have missed it but what is the connection between not being able to bring unlimited wine aboard and no longer booking a Suite? What does one have to do with the other? :confused:

Why is the suite less desireable because the Wine Policy changed?

So I am not seeing much reason to cruise any longer, limited carry on wine/beverages. Food starting to down grade. Entertainment being downgraded. Stretched service.

Cruises always beat land vacations for the value provided, if it is not there then back to land vacations.

Well, there is always that drinking and driving problem when you travel by land to as many places as ships take you. :cool:

I don't think it s/b an expectation that Hal or any other cruise line will not change policies just because you book and pay with them unless its something serious like a smoking policy change. Things change, I think we all know that.

Ya but i think people are upset with the non communication, and implementation, as well as lack of choices. Had it been done differently, and there were more choices that compared with other premium lines, people would not be so upset.

I do agree with you to an extent. I like land travel in Europe very much, as it offers things one cannot get on a cruise (e.g., the ability to enjoy evenings -- and dinners -- in the actual location rather than aboard ship). Apparently wine will now be one of those things.

On the other hand, I took a cruise that primarily did the Greek isles and the Adriatic a few months ago. We had beautiful weather and it would be difficult to duplicate the wonder of cruising the Bay of Kotor, for example, or enjoying the seas like glass in between Greek isles that one wouldn't necessarily get to otherwise (Monemvasia, Ithaca), or soaking up the wonderful sail-in to Venice.

I really don't want to abandon cruising altogether. But it has always been one of several choices for me, not the only vacation choice. There are still some lines that use smaller ships, provide a personalized experience, and treat cruisers like adults. I guess I should enjoy them while I still can....

Well, there is always that drinking and driving problem when you travel by land to as many places as ships take you. :cool:

I don't drive in Europe. No worries enjoying a nice dinner with copious wine in Rome and walking back to my hotel.

Ya but i think people are upset with the non communication, and implementation, as well as lack of choices. Had it been done differently, and there were more choices that compared with other premium lines, people would not be so upset.

The lack of communication is sorta shady. If I remember correctly Princess just had it print on your luggage tags so no better. You could be correct about doing it differently but you know some folks would not be happy no matter what. I really feel Hal will do adjustments.

It just seems to me that folks just think that every line is so much better. Or the great suggestions to drain the pool etc. I'm a put your money where your mouth is person. There was a time several years ago that I was fed up with Hal. I didn't step for on a Hal ship for a few years. That's a long time for me. I don't blame people one bit for being upset about this policy but to carry on to the absurd is another. You never entered my mind for one second so these comments don't have anything to do with what you've said.

I don't think anyone has actually said that, Lorene (I may be wrong, but can't go back and check every post:eek: - I just don't recall). The whole issue is not that HAL is bad, but that the way they have done this, is. They've basically shafted the clientele who are about to cruise.

Just got off a 21 day cruise on the Rotterdam, and just made the wine old policy, and took advantage of it!

We brought wine to drink in our stateroom, and to bring to the MDR for corkage fees! It was a big savings for us.

We ALSO put down a cruise future deposit, but now we are not sure we like that new policy, and may just get it back

So we may just go back to Azamara, which we liked, and get free wine with lunch and dinner. We also liked Princess, which I guess also now has that policy!

Hope you didn't get rich from all the money you saved by not having to purchase wine onboard. :eek::eek:

To some of us it is exactly "as serious" as the smoking policy change...

I don't think anyone has actually said that, Lorene (I may be wrong, but can't go back and check every post:eek: - I just don't recall). The whole issue is not that HAL is bad, but that the way they have done this, is. They've basically shafted the clientele who are about to cruise.

There is one poster on here that always saying how great Celebrity is so great because they have free drinks for the higher level folks. That doesn't do anything for me I'd rather have good service and decent food. Clearly for some folks alcohol is king. It's just not that big of a deal for me so I don't get it. I don't see it as such a breach but clearly other folks do. So be it.

The lack of communication is sorta shady. If I remember correctly Princess just had it print on your luggage tags so no better. You could be correct about doing it differently but you know some folks would not be happy no matter what. I really feel Hal will do adjustments.

I hope so! If it had not been for the way they handled it, and if they had a better assortment, and importantly a better all inclusive package, we would be fine.

Now, here is hoping after moving mountains, and investing alot to take this cruise, they will be more than happy to work on my special order, and give us decent pricing.

Im still livid about being on a b2b and not being able to bring 2 bottles on turnaround day. People who booked 2, 7 days can do just that.

It just seems to me that folks just think that every line is so much better. Or the great suggestions to drain the pool etc. I'm a put your money where your mouth is person. There was a time several years ago that I was fed up with Hal. I didn't step for on a Hal ship for a few years. That's a long time for me. I don't blame people one bit for being upset about this policy but to carry on to the absurd is another. You never entered my mind for one second so these comments don't have anything to do with what you've said.

I honestly think that HAL has one thing that is separating them apart , it is their unique itineraries. That's what is keeping me now from going to their competitors. Well , that's good !

And like they say : each to their own.

I have lived in the Lower Mainland for 42 years and have never heard of Bear Mountain, Victoria. Didn't know there was a mountain in Victoria. Kindly enlighten us. Thanks.

http://bearmountain.ca/

We love it up here:D 15-20 min to downtown Victoria. I was born in Vancouver and lived most of my "young" years on Locarno Beach where my dad had a boat rental. Moved to Haney (now Maple Ridge) for High School and have been on the move for 40 yrs (DH with Canada Parks - last position Gwaii Haanas) retired to Victoria in 2000 and moved up to Bear Mountain in 2006!

Lots of mountains in Victoria - Mt Tolmie, Mt Doug, Mt Work and best of all, Bear Mountain!!

Edited by Christine Frances

I hope so! If it had not been for the way they handled it, and if they had a better assortment, and importantly a better all inclusive package, we would be fine.

Now, here is hoping after moving mountains, and investing alot to take this cruise, they will be more than happy to work on my special order, and give us decent pricing.

Im still livid about being on a b2b and not being able to bring 2 bottles on turnaround day. People who booked 2, 7 days can do just that.

well said. I don't like the change but I think it is up to HAL to decide what policy they want to implement. I am most annoyed about the instant rollout, especially for those of us who are cruising in the next few months. Not much communication there. No major change like this should happen overnight.

But after reading all these posts (yes, I read every one of them on this thread:)), I am starting to think that Lorene is correct--HAL will back off. I wonder if some of us weren't too quick to say we would gladly pay corkage when we board as long as we can bring our own wine on. That may have played into HALs hand. Now they can say, 'OK, no more unlimited wine; the limit is <x> bottles per port per person (or whatever) and you have to pay $20 corkage, no matter where it is consumed'. And they will stick with crappy over-priced wines as the onboard choices.

Stay tuned for more updates from HAL...

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typo's

well said. I don't like the change but I think it is up to HAL to decide what policy they want to implement. I am most annoyed about the instant rollout, especially for those of us who are cruising in the next few months. Not much communication there. No major change like this should happen overnight.

But after reading all these posts (yes, I read every one of them on this thread:)), I am starting to think that Lorene is correct--HAL will back off. I wonder if some of us weren't too quick to say we would gladly pay corkage when we board as long as we can bring our own wine on. That may have played into HALs hand. Now they can say, 'OK, no more unlimited wine; the limit is <x> bottles per port per person (or whatever) and you have to pay $20 corkage, no matter where it is consumed'. And they will stick with crappy over-priced wines as the onboard choices.

Stay tuned for more updates from HAL...

ML

Good point.

it will be interesting to finally get some first hand reports about the implementation of the policy, as well as changes in the onboard wine offerings. Unclear still is the ability to bring wine/champagne on board at each port - language of policy unclear, really.

Disney Cruise Line allows you to bring onboard (on embarkation and at port calls) what ever beverages you wish. As much as you wish. As long as it's in your carryon bag, not checked.

Considering the cost of a cruise on DCL, they ought to.

it will be interesting to finally get some first hand reports about the implementation of the policy, as well as changes in the onboard wine offerings. Unclear still is the ability to bring wine/champagne on board at each port - language of policy unclear, really.

My rep at HAL said it was happening at embarkation yesterday.