Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Princess rescinded their original new wine policy and allows one bottle per port for those researching/comparing

I don't see any exceptions for ports of call in the Princess policy:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

Edited by Boytjie

We all have things that are important to us, so please don't patronize us by telling us "it's only wine".

<snip>

You know what?

YOU ARE RIGHT !

I should not have said that and I apologize.

Here's the best part:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies

(e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

I'm amazed that this is the best policy that HAL management could come up with in order to create more onboard revenue.

Signature of Excellence, 2013 version.

Edited by oysterdam

I have no problem with HAL changing the liquor policy, what I have a problem with is the way it was done.

I would think that an ethical company would provide the goods and services agreed upon in the contract.

I haven't read the contract in a great many years, but I doubt very much if there's anything in there about how much wine you are allowed to bring.

However, I agree that slapping the new policy in with no prior notice was a very poor thing to do from a PR standpoint.

I don't see any exceptions for ports of call in the Princess policy:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

Peter - their policy is not well worded. For whatever reason they don't seem to include wine as an alcoholic beverage. There standard policy is to charge a $15 corkage fee on wine brought on in ports. Apparently, it is not always charged. I did call to check and also found this on the Princess boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1880669&highlight=wine+policy

According to the Princess boards - Princess has still not amended their equivalent of 'know before you go'. The correct policy is printed on the boarding docs when you have booked and paid.

Edited by kazu

You're still missing the point. It's not the wine, it's the arbitrary and arrogant way HAL has dealt with this. Reading many posts, I think others, like me, would happily board without wine. HAL is in the process of damaging their brand - a complete no-no in the business world.

My main objection is how abruptly they instituted a major policy change. I think they should have provided 60 (approx) days prior notice.

so, no more HAL for me. HAL has become the line of 'no more', 'no longer, and 'thou shalt not, or else'. and suddenly enforced. why would i consider a HAL cruise a vacation any longer? HAL has become a 'police state.' threatening, not providing. i would feel threatened coming aboard any HAL ship, for fear of somehow transgresssing their 'policies' and being punished. and even their 'policies and punishments' are vague. even if i just stayed in my cabin, i would not be immune from their policies. it is just plain scary, imho. they take for granted their loyal pax and treat us no better than cattle to the slaughter -- read, money. for myself, this is the time to stop. HAL has nothing to offer these days over other cruise lines, which are MUCH MORE welcoming and accommodating. HAL, IMHO, is in suicide mode, and going fast.

My main objection is how abruptly they instituted a major policy change. I think they should have provided 60 (approx) days prior notice.

I would actually respectfully suggest it should have been longer than that. Final payment is usually with 75 days is it not? and many pay a few days early.

When they changed the smoking policy they gave something like 6 months notice.

I am sure more people on HAL bring on wine than those that smoke:rolleyes:

Only 60 days? That doesn't even match the notice given to smokers of the change in that policy.

And when all's said and done, what notice did they actually give to their clients? We found out about it through a TA on here who had connections at HAL. My TA still has not received a notice, and nor have I with a cruise one month away.

.... I hope HAL loses a TON of business over this. I love Prinsendam, but it will be cheaper for me to sail in a balcony on Regent. .......

How does the math work on this?

Eg: 14 day cruise x $20 bottle of carry-on wine per day for in cabin use = It costs you $280 to bring your own wine on board, which you can no longer do. (Obviously this changes with the value of the wine you choose to bring on board)

Versus the cost of a Regent cruise where the wine is "free"; vs the cost of a HAL wine package.

Appreciating of course, HAL wine packages may not be equivalent to the wine you choose to drink. Nor knowing what wines Regent includes in their inclusive alcohol packages.

Unless Cruise Critic hasn't updated Azamara's Wine Policy it appears to be similar to HAL's.

Azamara's Wine Policy as posted on CC.

"Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers can bring two bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, there is a $10 corkage fee per bottle.

Purchasing liquor in port: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call will be stored by the ship and delivered to passengers' cabins on the last day of the sailing.

Purchasing liquor in ships' duty-free shop: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from Azamara's onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to passenger cabins on the sailing's last day. "

That has changed since they became more inclusive and started including wine and colas with the cruise fare. There is no 2 bottle restriction. They charge a $10.00 corkage fee if you want to bring your own bottle to the MDR.

Edited by Jade13

How does HAL go from the most liberal wine policy to the most restrictive with no advanced notice.

Their wine policy has been one of the things that we liked about HAL. We always brought wine on board, NEVER brought a glass of our own wine to a lounge or MDR, always paid a corkage fee in the MDR and also bought from their wine list in bars and MDR.

Their wine list is awful with very high mark-ups and, recently, poor service. We especially liked bringing wine back from ports in South America and Europe. What a waste, to be near great wines and then be subjected to HAL overpriced wine list.

HAL will no longer be our first choice.

HAL will no longer be our first choice.

As of this moment, HAL moved from #2 on our preferred list of cruise lines to #4.

A positive change in policy and/or a significant upgrade of their on-board offerings and prices would change that.

I posted earlier that land based vacations are looking better to us.

We enjoy a good meal and a good wine at home most evenings. Why should we contemplate less on vacation? We carry on wine to be assured that we have a wine we will enjoy with food that someone else prepares. If you rely on the cruise line, the wine list is limited and often runs out of the one you prefer. We happily pay the corkage fee in the dining rooms and never drink in the cabin.

My point is that each persons desires or needs are different. But the sign of a great travel provider is flexibilty to meet many needs. If it's a matter of money, just price the option to make it profitable and then the customer decides if it is worth it. But to not provide the option, will close out people. Most of the main stream lines are starting to offer drink packages that include wine by the glass which will make many happy. However, we do not enjoy the wines that are offered by the glass so the packages do not work for us.

The best option is carry on with corkage fee for us. If it is not available, then we need to move on.

The cruise line does not have to revolve around each person desires. But the more folks they can accomodate, the larger their base is.

For all of us, time will tell how the policies and their enforcment will affect us.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't take wine aboard, however it does seem to me that HAL has shot itself in the foot. The situation has become a PR nightmare for them.

If I have friends on any particular sailing I guess I will be in demand as a mule. That's OK as I am happy to oblige.

As of this moment, HAL moved from #2 on our preferred list of cruise lines to #4.

A positive change in policy and/or a significant upgrade of their on-board offerings and prices would change that.

What is 1, 2, and 3?

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't take wine aboard, however it does seem to me that HAL has shot itself in the foot. The situation has become a PR nightmare for them.

If I have friends on any particular sailing I guess I will be in demand as a mule. That's OK as I am happy to oblige.

Us, too, Sapper.

We'll be happy to take someone's two bottles aboard.

We don't bother for ourselves but if we have friends who want a little more wine, we will offer to carry it.

Does everybody really believe that all wine toters,just sipped their wine on their balconies like quiet little church mouses or

Some people brought their own wine to the show,crows nest,lido,dining room,etc.

To think they didn't have meetings after meetings about this and all the scenarios that could play out (including bad pr) is just ludicrous

I just called Holland reservations and asked about the wine change. The agent told me there had been no change- I asked him to read the policy- he read about one bottle, etc. I told him it sounded like a change to me, and he said it "might" be.

Not a smart way to run a business- HAL has not even told their own agents

wow!

over 700 posts

more than 24,000 "hits"

my first thought when I read the numbers was "HAL cancelled world cruise, eliminated smoking, turned the MDR into a buffet and eliminated turn down service"

then I read the title!

you can't bring a tractor trailer to the port and load on your own wine!

Holy Napa Valley!!:eek:

sure this will keep Seattle up all night .. :rolleyes:

now, if Elliott Avenue eliminated drinking, that would be one thing

but to require a passenger can only bring 2 bottles per couple on board ..

c'mon

IMHO, its really enough

now to get back something of health .. when will HAL get rid of smoking:D

I have also emailed Hal about this new policy. I was not able to email customer service on the web site ....when I clicked on submit....it never did anything. I suppose it was due to the fact I used a TA. I decided to use the email that was provided by another person on here. While this does not affect me or my DH as we do not drink, I am appalled at the way it was implemented. My brother will be sailing along with his DW next month with us to Alaska. He does drink wine and he was happy with the "old" policy. He has never cruised before and I suggested this cruise to him and we are all exited to be leaving next month. I let him know about the "new" policy and he is not happy but said he had no choice now as it is too late. I am sure if he decides to cruise again it will not be on Holland America.

We are planning a cruise in November to the Caribbean and may choose another line...just for the fact of the way Holland has handled this policy change. If they can do it with wine, then I am sure they will do it with other changes in the future.

I do love Holland....but have never tried another line......just going by my one cruise with them and reading all the reviews by others on here.

I told my TA about this on Saturday and she had not heard of it. I also told her to let them know our feelings on this since they have prohibited me from contacting them on their website. I am still not happy about that. After all, I paid for this cruise...not my TA and she did not get us a discount or onboard credit....that was all offered on their website.

Hope you all have a Blessed Day!

I have also emailed Hal about this new policy. I was not able to email customer service on the web site ....when I clicked on submit....it never did anything. I suppose it was due to the fact I used a TA. I decided to use the email that was provided by another person on here. While this does not affect me or my DH as we do not drink, I am appalled at the way it was implemented. My brother will be sailing along with his DW next month with us to Alaska. He does drink wine and he was happy with the "old" policy. He has never cruised before and I suggested this cruise to him and we are all exited to be leaving next month. I let him know about the "new" policy and he is not happy but said he had no choice now as it is too late. I am sure if he decides to cruise again it will not be on Holland America.

We are planning a cruise in November to the Caribbean and may choose another line...just for the fact of the way Holland has handled this policy change. If they can do it with wine, then I am sure they will do it with other changes in the future.

I do love Holland....but have never tried another line......just going by my one cruise with them and reading all the reviews by others on here.

I told my TA about this on Saturday and she had not heard of it. I also told her to let them know our feelings on this since they have prohibited me from contacting them on their website. I am still not happy about that. After all, I paid for this cruise...not my TA and she did not get us a discount or onboard credit....that was all offered on their website.

Hope you all have a Blessed Day!

YOu can contact HAL anytime on their website with email -you don't need your TA - I think what happened (as mine timed out twice) is that there were a few of us emailing (good - the more the better);) and they were having system problems. I actually had to switch search engines to get it to go through. The address you used was probably far more effective;)

This is isn't exactly about the new wine policy, I've already posted my feelings on that. But I am a bit tired of reading about cases of wine brought onboard as over the top, and people bringing their own wine into the MDR. I think some readers are making some false assumptions.

1) HALs previous policy was to allow as much wine as you wanted to bring onboard. 1 bottle or 3 cases, whatever, it was allowed. There was nothing wrong with this and those of you who think it over the top should just shuit up about it. It was an allowed option; some used it, some didn't. we all get to make our choices. We took a Panama canal cruise 2 years ago with a large group of family and friends. We got to Florida a week before the others and offered to buy wine for all to share at night before and after dinner. We brought on 2 cases of wine (for 10 people for 16 days). And we all bought wine with dinner each night.

2) The wine service in the MDR is painfully slow, so most nights, we would buy a glass of wine at 1 of the bars on the way to dinner, so we could at least have 1 glass while we ate. many times, this was the only glass of wine we could pry out of HAL during our 2 hour dinner.

I think people could be a tad less judgmental about how much wine people bring on and where the wine that they bring into the MDR comes from. I don't post about the people who always manage to work into any post that they always book a suite, or are 4 star Mariners, or only eat breakfast in the Pinnacle or any number of other annoying little notes that aren't pertinent to the thread. if you don't have something helpful to contribute, then don't.

ML