Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Travel bear oz & Vines...Of course the facts were checked..When HAL was called several of the Rep's quoted the new policy effective today..It was also posted on the New Amsterdam yesterday..Read Kirk's post where I asked him exactly what the sign said..In addition no one can bring a bottle of wine on board in any port even if they are willing to pay a corkage fee..The "know before you go" on line booklet was changed & the cruise contract was modified to show that the policy was effective immediately..HAL just today stated that the effective date is now Jan 31..The "Know before you go" WEB site was updated late this afternoon EST to show an implementation date of Jan 31, 2014

Obviously you did not read all 43 pages before you started hurling your accusations to posters here!.. Suggest you get your facts straight before judging others!:mad::mad::mad:

Great. Talk about judging. Just said what I know will keep on going. Keep the sad face, you earned it. Cheers.

HAL's says the same thing under policies on the Fork Booked Guests web page:

Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

In an effort to standardize our policies with industry practices,
Holland America Line has adopted the following policy regarding guests bringing alcoholic beverages on board their cruise, effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage.
Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age 21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior), may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

Updated: 07/29/2013

Standardize, that is such bull crap, they are actually now inflicting the most stringent rules in the industry on Hal passenger bringing wine/champagne on their ships of all the cruise lines. They must really think were stupid, don't they know we would check other cruiselines policy? Da!:eek:

I understand people's frustration with the new policy but I doubt sending individual emails, threathening cruise cancellations and alike will alter HAL's decision making. What is needed is a large scale peaceful demonstration on a dock where a HAL ship is berthed to attract media attention and arouse the cruise minded public as well. We might even be able to hire the Reverend Al Sharpton to organize such an event.

Love it! :p

My husband and I are not wine snobs, but we do find HAL wines very average. As such, we cruise HAL so we can bring our preferred bottles on board to enjoy in the room or the dining room. We also buy the equivalent of a bottle a day of HAL wine, so they still get a good fairshare of wine consumption from us. With this new change, for the first time, I will probably jump to an all inclusive cruise ship option. Disallowing the opportunity to bring one bottle in from a port is also a huge disappointment. Secondly, when in worldly places such as Italy, New Zealand, etc I also want to enjoy the opportunity to explore their unique wines. This new policy has me relegated to HAL wine, which means I'll probably pass.....

If you are real fast and go back to Lisa's original post, the KBYG document without the implementation date is still there. Not sure if that is still the active webpage, Or if I just alerted the webmaster to take it down.

It's still there. They boobed, big time.

So after all the outrage and nonsense that's been going on, the sky actually isn't falling?

Did anyone stop to check facts etc before hurling abuse at HAL? (Of course not)

If only HAL could limit the amount of whine (correct spelling) some people bring on board, it would make cruising so much more pleasant![/quote

Yes, I checked the facts. My Cruise Contract was modified to reflect the one bottle per person change. As well as the Know Before You Go brochure and the HAL alcohol policy. I did not hurl abuse.

Oh my goodness, you really haven't kept up, have you?

Alcoholic Beverages Brought on Board

Except for wine and champagne, alcoholic beverages

purchased in the ship’s stores or otherwise brought on the

ship cannot be consumed on the ship. Bottles and other

containers will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to

your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. The ship’s stores

sell liquor for take-home only at reduced tax-free prices.

These purchases will be delivered to your stateroom on the

last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$18.00 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages. (A 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added.)

This is what I printed up from the "What you need to know" sometime btx May 26th - June 24th when I was completing the online-check-in documents.

Alcoholic Beverages Brought on Board

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests

are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation

for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

This is what I printed up earlier today from the "What you need to know" today.

In an effort to standardize our policies with industry practices, Holland America Line has adopted the following policy regarding guests bringing alcoholic beverages on board their cruise, effective on sailings departing on or after January 31, 2014:

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found will be removed and returned on the last evening of the voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age 21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior), may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

Updated: 07/29/2013

And this is what is posted under FAQ - Shipboard Life - Onboard Policies - separate part of the website - not in the "What you need to know" pdf file. An obvious response to passengers complaints & questions.

I am assuming I can go with the first paragraph (policy) until January 31st, 2014. Certainly glad I copied it when I did. Will bring it with me in January to Ft. Lauderdale.

-Rose

The use of the word standardize makes me laugh! How can they use signature, excellence, and standardize in the same sentence?:rolleyes: Whose standard are they talking about? Cunard's or Carnival's?:eek:

I guess to me it's hard to look at very different cruise products and understand why they should offer the same thing. Why should a HAL collector's cruise to exotic locations allow the exact same number of bottles of wine to be brought aboard as a Carnival 4 night cruise to the Bahamas? Whatever happened to having a product that stands out in the crowd for offering something a little different?

We like to enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner when we cruise. Wine isn't our first consideration when we book a cruise, but if we're comparing two similar itineraries it will certainly come into play at some point in the selection process. When I take a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise I'm fine with only bringing on 2 bottles of wine. Their wine list has quite a few selections that DH and I enjoy, and their wine bar is excellent. If I was going to take a long HAL cruise and only be allowed to bring two bottles I would struggle. Yes, there are some things on their list that we enjoy, but not enough variety for our tastes on a longer trip.

Holland America has a unique product, which to me is distinguished by their excellent itineraries and their smaller ships in this age of bigger is better. I wish they would adopt a policy that is more reflective of their clientele and product, instead of just going along with the crowd.:(

Standardize, that is such bull crap, they are actually now inflicting the most stringent rules in the industry on Hal passenger bringing wine/champagne on their ships of all the cruise lines. They must really think were stupid, don't they know we would check other cruiselines policy? Da!:eek:

absolutely - you've hit that nail on the head

The use of the word standardize makes me laugh! How can they use signature, excellence, and standardize in the same sentence?:rolleyes: Whose standard are they talking about? Cunard's or Carnival's?:eek:

I guess to me it's hard to look at very different cruise products and understand why they should offer the same thing. Why should a HAL collector's cruise to exotic locations allow the exact same number of bottles of wine to be brought aboard as a Carnival 4 night cruise to the Bahamas? Whatever happened to having a product that stands out in the crowd for offering something a little different?

We like to enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner when we cruise. Wine isn't our first consideration when we book a cruise, but if we're comparing two similar itineraries it will certainly come into play at some point in the selection process. When I take a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise I'm fine with only bringing on 2 bottles of wine. Their wine list has quite a few selections that DH and I enjoy, and their wine bar is excellent. If I was going to take a long HAL cruise and only be allowed to bring two bottles I would struggle. Yes, there are some things on their list that we enjoy, but not enough variety for our tastes on a longer trip.

Holland America has a unique product, which to me is distinguished by their excellent itineraries and their smaller ships in this age of bigger is better. I wish they would adopt a policy that is more reflective of their clientele and product, instead of just going along with the crowd.:(

Well said - sounds like a good email to send to the Office of the President.

You don't mind if I 'steal' your last two lines do you:p:p

If the original policy was part of your passage contract or terms and conditions of booking, then legally they cannot change the policy without being in breach of the contract. And breach of contract would allow you the passenger to seek damages?

If the original policy was part of your passage contract or terms and conditions of booking, then legally they cannot change the policy without being in breach of the contract. And breach of contract would allow you the passenger to seek damages?

Don't think it works - somewhere in the fine print it says they have the right to change. The contracts are written in favour of the cruise company.

that's part of the reason I find this unfair - when I booked I booked under one understanding - now they have changed the rules. Would I have booked this trip with the rules in place? I honestly don't think so. I would have done more looking. And yes, I know I can cancel. I'm not sure what we will do but if the policy is not amended I will certainly be looking at other options;)

Corkage fee is one thing - not being permitted at all to bring wine in ports is another:mad:

Edited by kazu

The problem is the original posting on the website over the weekend didn't indicate that the policy would start with January 2014 sailings. The original posting implied the policy started immediately

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

It's still there. They boobed, big time.

They sure did and until it finds its way into the rolodex of answers for guest services it will continue to be. :D One of reason that when calling guest relations i always call 3 times to get verification. :confused: Probably should not pick on just HAL guests services though as each line seems to have the same problem from my experiences. :rolleyes: Probably a hope & prayer but whats the chances we can now get them to improve their wine offerings for their packages? :p Stupid question but one can hope.

Edited by Expo67

Happy that our cruise is now inside the timeline for the changes, we will bring back a couple of bottles to enjoy on the balcony now. Have just booked next cruise on the Amazara line, all inclusive onboard so we are heading to Hong Kong, Vietnam Thailand and Singapore next :)

Excellent post - I hope you email it to HAL;)

I am sure that HAL's leadership will look at this and think twice.Only one poster didn't seem to care. Since the policy doesn't become effective until Jan. 2014 there is plenty of time to back off. I think they will be looking at cancelled bookings and whether the frequent cruisers are booking with them after that date. I know I probably won't be. We are 4 star.

Great post, Cindy. I agree with all of it, especially the part I took the liberty to bold. It's good to see that there are others who understand the total process we use when evaluating a wine policy. It's not just the limiting of "bring aboard", but also the options available on the ship.

Edited by arewethereyet