Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

They have refused additional bottles for collectors sailings, they have refused to allow clients who already have bookings, or final payments to cruise under the old policy. Just as of right now.

If they can not get the wine/Sangria/Sparkling wine we want special order, then we will cancel our cruise. Lets hope they put the effort into getting what we need, (they always have in the past), or we are gone and somewhere else.

Customers should have been given a choice to give HAL $, therefore been warned that it was coming. Instead of the "we already have your money" game.

Edited by surfergirle

I went to the HAL website. At the bottom of the page you can click "contact us" and you will then have the option of sending them an email.

I used that forum to express my disappointment with the new policy and the implications for my future cruising choices.

Did the same thing. Very interesting timing for us, as we were seriously considering booking a 21 day cruise very soon.

I just sent a highly critical e-mail to HAL. Now . . . any bets as to whether a Customer service rep will actually call?

O.K. and of all of you who have complained, has anyone besides me e-mailed their displeasure? Who know, the squeaky wheel might bring some results.

I have sent one - I am willing to put my money where my mouth is;) I also invited them to look at my past bookings and my past on board spending:D

I am also willing to let my wallet do the talking - I know HAL cruises traditionally cost more and I like HAL - but part of my justification was the wine policy - so... I'll wait and see what they say. Again, Caribbean - don't care - Europe - different kettle of fish

As we are another couple that have already booked the October 5 repo Montreal to FL, and have already made the final payment, I am disturbed by this arbitrary and ridiculous move on the part of HAL. We are four-star and one of the benefits of going with this cruise line was their generous, realistic and civilized wine policy. Never bringing on a case(s), our pleasure was in seeking out different wines in different ports for an enjoyable sip on our balcony before dinner or bed. Of course we always enjoyed daily cocktails in the lounges and the occasional beer with lunch so our modest few bottles of wine really won't affect their bottom line. But I refuse to pay their outlandish prices for their very mediocre, dull wine and will be totally re-thinking any more 30+ day cruises. This increasingly penny pinching attitude of theirs is really going too far and after twenty plus years of cruising with HAL, perhaps it's time to look at other options for our vacation dollars.

We are not happy about this, since we do enjoy our wine pre/post dinner on the balcony. We also purchase the wine packages, but did enjoy tasting the local wines in Germany( Rostock ), so any itinerary that would allow for this would be impacted. We cruise as a party of three, so will have to ration our consumption on our Alaskan cruisetour in 2014. The Explore4 promotion is nice, and I did send an email to our PCC re: our upcoming Canada/New England in October. Hopefully, we can be included in this, at least.

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Would love to know the ramifications of this new rule. Will they loose more customers then making more money by selling more wine on board. I have a feeling I know the answer, time will only tell.

Could be a big mistake on Hal's part as I think more and more customers are getting fed up with all the nickle and diming going on.

The ramifications (at least from our group contemplating another Alaskan cruise in 2015) is that we will take a long, hard look at Oceania as their liquor policy treats people like adults i.e. while unlimited of both wine and alcohol, they expect you to act like an adult in return as in not bring in a pallet of wine per person. We intend to keep our end of the bargain if we move to Oceania.

We loved our HAL Alaskan trip in 2010 and really wanted to do it again. Now, we have hard choices to make. Many of us were in "the trade" and have either collected or been gifted many bottles of fine wine and we all enjoyed them during our dinners. We also bought HAL wines to complement them but were extremely disappointed in their wine lists. In any case, those of us growing up in the wine business, it isn't a meal without wine.

I am so unhappy about this development. And yes, I will express my unhappiness to HAL :(

I went to the HAL website. At the bottom of the page you can click "contact us" and you will then have the option of sending them an email.

I used that forum to express my disappointment with the new policy and the implications for my future cruising choices.

I just went to the website and sent my e-mail of displeasure although we only took 7 bottles it was our favorite and they don't carry it. I will certainly look at other options in the future. Anyone know what the limit is on RC or Celebrity?

Rick & Harriet

I just went to the website and sent my e-mail of displeasure although we only took 7 bottles it was our favorite and they don't carry it. I will certainly look at other options in the future. Anyone know what the limit is on RC or Celebrity?

Rick & Harriet

All I know about is Celebrity, and they have the exact same policy as HAL's new one :(

Okay,

I followed suit and went to HAL's website and sent an e-mail expressing my displeasure at this new policy. Guess we really can't expect any results unless we all make our voices heard. I'm usually not one to make waves, but let's all of us let HAL know what we think about these new changes. What do we have to lose?

Paula

It boils down to a customers right to choose, what is for them and what is not.

Had HAL disclosed this, customers could have chosen, instead they take the money, implement the policy, and those who have already paid or are far into the cruise planning with flights etc are screwed. Integrity, honesty, is all that i am asking for. If a customer books under a certain policy, it should be adhered to for the particular sailing. Then moving forward customers can choose another line if they see fit.

I really feel like i was done dirty.

Edited by surfergirle

Dear Hal

Thank you very much for adjusting your alcohol policy. I found it incredibly disturbing to see so many people acting in a very inpropriate way at so many occasions. I also thank you for taking action against all smokers causing a disturbance to so many people, so did the drunks.

With your action all cruisers thinking they can take unlimited alcohol on board it will be a joy to enjoy a "no nonsens" cruise and enjoy an "alcohol free" environment which will be for the better of all of us cruisers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

A non alcoholic Andrea ;)

Is it likely that two bottles of wine/champagne could be packaged together with a party of two, or will the bottle be checked as per pax. We use a wine caddy built for a few, so then we would need to separate them at the security checkin.

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Rick & Harriet

The issue goes beyond the limit for me. RCI and Celebrity limit you to two bottles per cabin. The both have high corkage fees. That's only part of the issue. Both RCI (for sure) and Celebrity have far superior wine lists and pricing.

Basically, if you are going to limit what can be brought aboard, and have a high corkage fee, then you must provide an attractive alternative onboard! Both RCI and Celebrity do that. And, that's where HAL, at the moment, fails miserable, IMO.

All I know about is Celebrity, and they have the exact same policy as HAL's new one :(

Well . . . so much for Celebrity! Is this a conspiracy?

Re the wine packages - 3, 5, or 7 bottles: Can anyone tell me how I can find them on the website? We are booked on the Ryndam TA in November, and I initially did find the correct page, giving the prices and brands. But now when I try to pull it up again, all I get are bottle of hard liquor. No wine packages. What gives? Or, dire thought, has HAL also done away with those packages, too, and had just not gotten around to taking it off the "Indulgences" beverage list?

For the poster who was asking if any lawyers out here - although I fall into that category, contract law is not my field. However, unless the contract specifies our right to bring in unlimited quantities, I would doubt that we have a case. Come to think of it, I have never looked at a HAL contract. Now is a good time.

I to have sent an e-mail to Hal expressing my displeasure with this new policy. My dw and I are leaving Aug 4 on the Noordam for 22 days. I was indeed looking forward to sampling some wines form the ports we are stopping at. We have always brought a 5 or 6 bottles with us to enjoy on the balcony as well as purchasing a bottle on occasion for dinner.This perk was one that kept us coming back to Hal. Now we shall see.

I’m nearly a 4 Star Mariner with HAL, but pretty much signed off any future plans to sail with them a year ago. One of the things that kept me coming back was their unobtrusive policy towards personal alcohol. I like to have something at hand in my cabin for a pre-dinner drink; beyond that, I usually buy one or two of the premium wine packages (depending on the length of the cruise), and enjoy several cocktails through the day. HAL certainly hasn’t suffered any “loss” when it comes to my bar tabs! This new policy is nothing more than a ploy to snatch that one, last remaining nickel that may still be lurking in someone’s pocket. HAL was once a gracious, quality cruise line. This is just the most recent (and, for me, last) nail in its Carnivalization – which, over the past few years, has seen the quality for which HAL was once known badly eroded – from food, to linens, to overpriced insipid wines. I guess that all Carnival “brands” now have to squeeze their patrons by every means possible to recoup the losses incurred because of their disastrous PR incidents – which, many believe, were largely the result of mismanagement and corporate greed. For anyone worried about finding paper towels in the washrooms, I remember when HAL was famous for the magnificent bouquets of fresh flowers adorning its public spaces – including restrooms! Yes, I’m THAT old!!

... and enjoy an "alcohol free" environment which will be for the better of all of us cruisers.

I'm afraid you've missed the whole point of the policy change: they want ro sell more of their wine on board.