Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I was hoping that the post you were responding to was tongue-in-cheek.
Could be, but after reading it a few times I decided it was said in earnest. I know if I had posted something meant to be sarcastic I'd have finished with :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

It's under indulgences.

If you were responding to my earlier post about the wine packages, please re-read it. I was searching under indulgences and could not pull up anything on wines - just hard liquor. That was on the second try. On the first try, the wine packages did show. Or maybe the Ryndam cruise doesn't have any wine packages. Is that possible, anyone?

It is done.

Our only hope is that HAL show some smarts (very small chance of this) and improve their wine offerings substantially (hint...take a look at Celebrity's wine offerings) and price competitively.

As it stands now, HAL expects $50. for a bottle of two buck chuck mouthwash.

Poor selection, high price will not cut it HAL...if you are listening.

BTW...the official Celebrity policy is two bottles per stateroom. Our experience and practice...we take two bottles each and never an issue. Port stops vary. Last fall, in Madiera, we brought 3 bottles on board with no issue. We have, though, had wine in past cruise port stops, held and given to us on the last day.

It is not such a big deal for us. We are not committed to any one cruise line. On the last few cruises where we were considering HAL the pricing was not competitive.

Edited by iancal

Celebrity allows 2 bottles per stateroom in a carry on. However, some have reported that both people in a stateroom have each brought 2 without any problems. That would be 4 bottles. Also,I believe Celebrity does allow you to bring wine to MDR for a $25 corkage fee.

Sue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Celebrity also relaxes the rules about bringing wine on in ports on some itineraries. I'm taking a 9-night coastal wine cruise in September, and as far as I know they will allow wine to be brought aboard in port from the various vineyards.

This will be my first Celebrity cruise...the wine list is fantastic, and because we have the Premium drink package we can get a 30% discount on any bottle on their list.

I second what others have said about Royal Caribbean's wine list. It has improved a great deal over the past few years, and is now very good. They have a partnership with Caymus, and feature all their wines as well as many other good selections. You also have the option of a fantastic selection of wines by the glass or bottle at Vintages (the wine bar).

Edited by Cindy

<snip>

BTW...the official Celebrity policy is two bottles per stateroom. Our experience and practice...we take two bottles each and never an issue. Port stops vary. Last fall, in Madiera, we brought 3 bottles on board with no issue. We have, though, had wine in past cruise port stops, held and given to us on the last day.

If you are flying and they give you back three bottles of wine last night, what do you do with them? :eek: They would make a suitcase heavy and I'd never risk breakage of red wine with all our clothes.

If driving, of course, not an issue.

Our cruises are always bookended by land trips however I understand the dilemma. Notwithstanding that....who wants to carry wine OFF the ship when the purpose of buying it and bringing it on board is to enjoy it on our balcony.

Mr and Mrs Joseph S Schmoe (representing the Schmoes of Tallahassee) are curious as to whom comments on the new wine policy should addressed.

The Schmoes tried to send a comment on through the server link on the web page and the server timed out.

Life's not easy when you're a Schmoe.

Celebrity also relaxes the rules about bringing wine on in ports on some itineraries. I'm taking a 9-night coastal wine cruise in September, and as far as I know they will allow wine to be brought aboard in port from the various vineyards.

This will be my first Celebrity cruise...the wine list is fantastic, and because we have the Premium drink package we can get a 30% discount on any bottle on their list.

I second what others have said about Royal Caribbean's wine list. It has improved a great deal over the past few years, and is now very good. They have a partnership with Caymus, and feature all their wines as well as many other good selections. You also have the option of a fantastic selection of wines by the glass or bottle at Vintages (the wine bar).

If they would just improve the offerings, level out the pricing to compete, do something closer to X where the package is concerned, there would be a lot of happy campers. You could taste a wine make sure you like it before u buy a bottle! Xs unlimited package is a real winner.

Then the only issue would be taking $ and booking cruises under the old policy, and imputing at new one, after money has been handed over in good faith...

Think i can change my policy before my clients event? Hell no. I would get sued.

Edited by surfergirle

Absolutely get your point. On the other hand it is about time people moaning about us smokers get a bit of their own medicine in respects to enjoying alcohol how and when they want to enjoy it. Maybe and just maybe it shuts them up for a bit when it comes to a whiff of smoke on a balconcy because they are worrying about their intake of alcohol ;)

I think you missed the point about being limited as to how many cigarettes you could take onboard, and then only being able to purchase extortionately expensive brands that are not ones you enjoy.

And why should I put up with your whiffs of smoke when my wine has absolutely no detrimental affect on you?

EDITED TO ADD.... I didn't intend to turn this into a smoking thing, just responding to your comments. Now back to normal programming, LOL!

Edited by startwin

I did send an email expressing my unhappiness with the new policy. I also said I hoped the would do something to improve the onboard purchase options (more extensive list, better quality, and prices in line with other cruise lines).

I bet they are getting a ton of emails this weekend:rolleyes:

I have a cruise in August - well past final payment date. Not happy at all about them changing the conditions.

Here's a thought..... perhaps they will now increase the number of wine waiters again, in the MDR. After all, if you take something away, you need to replace it with something else. It;'s already difficult enough getting a glass of wine, let alone a bottle, in the MDR since they cut back on the wine stewards.

I have a cruise in August - well past final payment date. Not happy at all about them changing the conditions.

Like i said above, if i did that to my clients, i would be SUED. People have the right to choose, and to disclosure honesty and integrity. After you take my money and i have some major plans in place? Very very shady.

People like me : newbie w HAL. Final pay in nov and with their recent horrible , ignorant customer service and on top of that sticking it to their mariners, I hold the upper hand w HAL.

HAL,

You'll lose my business if you don't straighten up your " SHIP"

The issue goes beyond the limit for me. RCI and Celebrity limit you to two bottles per cabin. The both have high corkage fees. That's only part of the issue. Both RCI (for sure) and Celebrity have far superior wine lists and pricing.

Basically, if you are going to limit what can be brought aboard, and have a high corkage fee, then you must provide an attractive alternative onboard! Both RCI and Celebrity do that. And, that's where HAL, at the moment, fails miserable, IMO.

Exactly! I usually bring a variety of split/piccolo bottles of champagne on board to enjoy on the verandah. It takes some looking but there are some really great things available in the split / piccolo volumes. I accept that I will no longer be allowed to do so (although, really, I would much rather pay a higher fare and enjoy the niceties of cruising past). What I don't accept is the lackluster selection / cost of wine aboard Holland America. Celebrity (can't speak for RCI, but I take your word on it) is soooo much better! True for the X beverage packages as well.

For our NCL haven suite, we can take as much wine as we want as long as we pay the corkage. That makes us very happy, we can take it anywhere on the ship and have what we want, as it is wine that we know they do not have.

For as great as HAL is, when they fail to compete with other lines (beverage packages, suite perks etc) , they will fail to book cruising's newer generation and when the older generation stops cruising, they will slowly start to fail, and then have to offer $399 cruises. Hum, they already have.

Edited by surfergirle

I think you missed the point about being limited as to how many cigarettes you could take onboard, and then only being able to purchase extortionately expensive brands that are not ones you enjoy.

And why should I put up with your whiffs of smoke when my wine has absolutely no detrimental affect on you?

EDITED TO ADD.... I didn't intend to turn this into a smoking thing, just responding to your comments. Now back to normal programming, LOL!

I can reassure you we already pay an extortionate price. So therefore this does not even come into it. And I don't quite frankly care how much alcohol is as I don't drink. Just like the smokers don't care how much I pay for ciggies. And I disagree with you regarding the impact of alcohol on other people. It destroys actually marriages, friendships and so on...I think you understand what I am saying. I don't appreciate other people drinking just like others don't appreciate me smoking. I stay out of their way, I expect others to stay out of my way. ;)

And again I don't either want to turn this into any smoking thing, just like you. The habitual moaners on here don't really help the cause anyway, they just get boring and more boring. I do however like a civilised conversation just like with you.

Andrea

I am sitting here in shock over this. We are on the Prinsendam in October, going around the Black Sea and were looking forward to buying wine in the different ports. I have been reading about wines from the different countries. This is such a disappointment and we are way past final payment, so have no recourse.

I am off to the the HAL web site to add my displeasure to all the others. I doubt it will penetrate though.

We are thinking of a big family cruise next year--HAL has done a nice job of shoving us toward Celebrity.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typo's

I remember my one and only HAL cruise, a long one. We brought 2 cases wine on in a chrome hand cart. Hal was not for us. We are Elite on Celebrity and enjoy the daily 2 hour free cocktails,

. Speciality coffees in a private breakfast, free 90 minutes internet, 30 pieces free laundry. Best of all to us; excellent food. Come on over! PS, consider Rumrunners; they do work.

Edited by zoncom

I can reassure you we already pay an extortionate price. So therefore this does not even come into it. And I don't quite frankly care how much alcohol is as I don't drink. Just like the smokers don't care how much I pay for ciggies. And I disagree with you regarding the impact of alcohol on other people. It destroys actually marriages, friendships and so on...I think you understand what I am saying. I don't appreciate other people drinking just like others don't appreciate me smoking. I stay out of their way, I expect others to stay out of my way. ;)

<snip>

Andrea

You've taken quite a leap from a person enjoying a glass or two of wine on their verandah to being a raging alcoholic. There is a middle ground and there are responsible drinkers. ;) I assume you are citing the extreme purposefully. :D

All the years we have been with HAL - they have treated their passengers as adults - the wine and all other drinks were loaded aboard.

Never heard of any problems with passengers getting over-drunk.

However every drink brought onboard is less to help the bottom line.

I wish that the BOGO Happy hour had helped keep this from happening.

But it is not the non-drinkers that keep the profits from tanking -

they were already Zero profit folks - it's the drinkers that they need

to entice.

Hope it all works so everyone is happy with the new ideas.

M.A.

As someone who drinks very little wine this policy change doesn't affect me much but I think that this sudden change is not a fair one from HAL.

I can understand them not wanting people bringing crates full of wine onboard for a 7 day cruise but surely to limit to one bottle a cruise is going much too far.

I don't think this will be a good move by them at all and will cost them business. Their more liberal policy for bringing wine onboard was one of the things that set them apart.

You've taken quite a leap from a person enjoying a glass or two of wine on their verandah to being a raging alcoholic. There is a middle ground and there are responsible drinkers. ;) I assume you are citing the extreme purposefully. :D

just like the non-smokers betray the smokers ;)

I am sitting here in shock over this. We are on the Prinsendam in October, going around the Black Sea and were looking forward to buying wine in the different ports. I have been reading about wines from the different countries. This is such a disappointment and we are way past final payment, so have no recourse.

I am off to the the HAL web site to add my displeasure to all the others. I doubt it will penetrate though.

We are thinking of a big family cruise next year--HAL has done a nice job of shoving us toward Celebrity.

ML

Yessssss!!!!

HAL is working hard to give celebrity some serious Clientele. 2 things come to my head :

1- celebrity might have plans to buy HAL and straighten up their " ship"

2- HAL is acting like a government cruise line. Like a cruise line owned by the Chinese government or something from that sort.