Parents can't walk far

Sherlocked

Cruising Dec 8. One of the ports is Nassau Bahamas. Want to go on the Catamaran. Problem: Parents are fairly able bodied, able to snorkel etc but cannot walk the appox half mile from cruise ship to catamaran and the last time we didn't see any sort of short distance shuttle or transport. They cannot take their scooters because there is no where to store them until our arrival back. We need some sort of golf cart, taxi, bus, whatever because they can't walk a half a mile. Can a taxi or something pull up beside the ship, or is there some sort of small shuttle that would take them; we don't care if we have to pay, that isn't a problem and I realize the short distance will be a pain in the neck for some people but the fact is, they cannot walk that far; it's a hop, skip and jump for the young and able bodied but too far for some with mobility issues who are otherwise healthy enough for watersports etc. Last time, people walked really fast and it was very hurried and my parents just aren't that fast. The rest of the catamaran experience was wonderful, we just need to be able to get to the catamaran.

It is a very long walk just to get out of the terminal building. It is set up so that you have to walk past many shops and stands selling all kinds of 'stuff'. . If they can make it that far then a taxi should be the best way for them to get to the catamaran.

It annoys me in Nassau the way they do not let you go the shortest route from ship to street but force us to go through the terminal to look at all their stalls and try to sell us souvenirs and trinkets. For people who cannot walk far, it makes it very hard for them to be able to go ashore at all. If they would open the metal gate and let those who wished pass directly to Bay Street, it would be appreciated by many.

OP..... I, too, have noticed the golf carts INfrequently carrying people from ship to the terminal but have no idea how you can arrange to have one for your parents. Maybe ask at shore excursion office once you board? Perhaps they can help you.

It annoys me in Nassau the way they do not let you go the shortest route from ship to street but force us to go through the terminal to look at all their stalls and try to sell us souvenirs and trinkets. For people who cannot walk far, it makes it very hard for them to be able to go ashore at all. If they would open the metal gate and let those who wished pass directly to Bay Street, it would be appreciated by many.

This totally annoys me too! :mad:

Gosh, I remember when it was easy without that big metal gate ....

LuLu

~~~~

OP..... I, too, have noticed the golf carts INfrequently carrying people from ship to the terminal but have no idea how you can arrange to have one for your parents. Maybe ask at shore excursion office once you board? Perhaps they can help you.

Or try contacting the cruiseline's Shore Excursion department or Special Needs department for info in advance.

It really hacks me off too. There was one little shuttle that I saw, but it was for a particular ship and not just for anyone. I use a scooter also, because I can't walk much at all. Plus, I had luggage because my mom had to be evac'd off the ship because she fell and broke her hip. So, try dragging luggage with a scooter---the freaking cruise line was of absolutely no help to me. So here was mom and my sister, in the ambulance, and me struggling to get outside the terminal to get a taxi. Not fun at all.

I would suggest calling your cruine line excursions and set up something in advance. If yu have already booked the excursion,, or when you do also let the Company know in advance too. I have seen a small bus, and golf carts brining people to the ship, when they were running late, so perhaps it is a customer service problem and should be addressed in advance. Good luck, and cruise happy.:)

You may be able to rent a scooter or a wheelchair to take on the cruise. Try Care Vacations at 1-877-478-7827. From what I gather, they will have it waiting for you at embarkation.

Cruising Dec 8. One of the ports is Nassau Bahamas. Want to go on the Catamaran. Problem: Parents are fairly able bodied, able to snorkel etc but cannot walk the appox half mile from cruise ship to catamaran and the last time we didn't see any sort of short distance shuttle or transport. They cannot take their scooters because there is no where to store them until our arrival back. We need some sort of golf cart, taxi, bus, whatever because they can't walk a half a mile. Can a taxi or something pull up beside the ship, or is there some sort of small shuttle that would take them; we don't care if we have to pay, that isn't a problem and I realize the short distance will be a pain in the neck for some people but the fact is, they cannot walk that far; it's a hop, skip and jump for the young and able bodied but too far for some with mobility issues who are otherwise healthy enough for watersports etc. Last time, people walked really fast and it was very hurried and my parents just aren't that fast. The rest of the catamaran experience was wonderful, we just need to be able to get to the catamaran.

You need to contact the shore excursion people for your cruise line and see if they can arrange a golf cart to come out to the ship to pick you up.

Can your parents handle a walker/rollator? They fold up and can be stored on the catamaran.

You may be able to rent a scooter or a wheelchair to take on the cruise. Try Care Vacations at 1-877-478-7827. From what I gather, they will have it waiting for you at embarkation.

They apparently already have scooters, just can't take them on the catamaran and have no where to leave them.

If you go back and read OP's post renting a scooter is not an option. In fact they already have scooters but there is no where to securely leave them while on the catamaran. Think the same applies to the wheelchair.

Archived