Is Norwegian Cruise Line too "casual"

Pink Bon Bon

In a word, no.

Shorts are not allowed in the main dining room. Some people dress formally. It is just not required.

It is a more relaxed atmosphere. You are not required to eat with people you do not know and wait for them to eat slowly, wait while they send food back, wait while they are late for dinner, wait while they order extra courses, etc. etc.

That was my experience on RCCL. Not all bad for sure but I just booked 28 day back to back Panama Canal on the Star. DH is thrilled not to have to pack a suit. He will bring ties and dress shirts for formal night. I will take the same clothes I wore on formal night on RCCL and HAL as well as NCL.

You are partially incorrect. Shorts are not allowed in the AFT main dining room. They are allowed in the Mid Main Dining room. I thought our NCL Epic cruise had more casually dressed people than our Carnival Cruises. We dressed up once to eat on Dress Up or Not Night in the Manhattan MDR. That was the most dressed up we saw the passengers. On the other nights we ate at Taste and it was definitely more casual with shorts, jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops.

The "freestyle" dress code (or lack thereof) is definitely the biggest drawback for us on NCL, as we love to dress up for dinner (as you would for an upscale restaurant on land), but the other aspects of the freestyle module appeal to us at this point since we have very young children (ie choices for speciality restaurants, time flexibility, etc). If you're looking for the majority of the boat to be dressed on any given night, NCL may not be the right choice. What we do to mitigate, is choose only to eat in specialty restaurants where patrons tend to "dress" a bit more, and also just come to peace with the fact that we will most likely be among the most dressed up groups onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Freestyle dress code is one of the biggest draws for us on NCL. We like the option to dress up if we want to or not if we not. If we dress up we will eat in the AFT dining room to be with others dressed similarly so we won't feel out of place. If we don't we will head to the Mid dining room where you find a definite more casual feel. I think it is great to have that option based on what we want to do.

May come off as rude but why would any one care how one dresses while on vacation? Everyone is there to have a good time. You do you and they do them and everyone should be happy:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

AMEN !! Too many people sweat the small stuff!! P.S. not rude at all!!

You are partially incorrect. Shorts are not allowed in the AFT main dining room. They are allowed in the Mid Main Dining room. I thought our NCL Epic cruise had more casually dressed people than our Carnival Cruises. We dressed up once to eat on Dress Up or Not Night in the Manhattan MDR. That was the most dressed up we saw the passengers. On the other nights we ate at Taste and it was definitely more casual with shorts, jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops.

I was thinking that shorts were allowed in one of the main dining rooms. I think your post clears that up for me. We are traveling with a large group in October and November and some don't wait to pack long pants at all for a Caribbean cruise. One of the many things I love about NCL.

I have to wear a suite to work everyday

Why on earth when im on vacation would I want to dress like I'm at work

Having said that I do like to see people dressed up getting there photos taken

I also don't care if someone wants wear shorts and a baseball hat

We are fortunate enough to be able to afford some of the more expensive cruise ships but not on my life would I pay extra to be told I have to dress a certain way for dinner

I love just sitting with my own family on our vacation eating at our speed and not having to make polite conversation with people I don't want to know

If I want to sit with someone outside my family I can request to share

The reason we love Ncl is we can do what we want wear what we want and not be worried about breaking the rules

Other people can do exactly the same if the people beside us what to wear evening gown and tux that's up to them as long as there enjoying the vacation that they have paid for

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question. I was thinking of booking a Panama Canal cruise on Norwegian Sun, however, someone mentioned this cruise line is too casual. I have sailed on RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival. Even on Carnival people did dress up on the formal nights. I have visions of people running around the ship wearing flip flops and tank tops everywhere. Even in the main dining rooms. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

I sailed 2x this past year with NCL and yes the passengers dress very casual even for dinner at the mid dining room. Shorts and tee shirts were worn in the MDR.

On most nights I wore a suit or sports jacket with tie and dress shirt. On a few occasions, passengers would stop me and ask for info or directions. My wife said its because you are in a suit and you look like staff.:D

It think the OP's inquiry could be made of any of the cruise lines.

I first noticed a huge move to more casual dress on my RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise. I only saw a few (and I mean very few) tuxes/gowns for both formal nights...certainly less than 6 or so couples. I saw a few more in suits/sports coats/summer dresses. The vast majority of people were wearing button shirts or polo shirts with nice "docker type" pants and women in pants suits/casual dresses.

On the Breakaway, dress was pretty typical of what I saw on the Allure and Epic, but didn't see anyone wearing a tux or gown.

This trend will continue and grow as it seems fewer and fewer people want to pack/wear more formal clothing on a cruise.

Why do people even care what others wear? Not that I wear one, but how does a guy in a baseball cap bother anyone? How do shorts detract from your meal? Some people worry about nothing thats important.

Well said!

I do not understand the people who complain about NCL dress code... There is a simple fix for this, dont sail NCL. I do not go onto Carnival, RCCL and complain about the dress codes. I know what there dress code is and I chose not to sail those cruise lines. The last thing I want on vacation is have to worry about a jacket and tie for dinner. I wear one 5 days a week, and frankly on vacation I am glad to see it go. I love the choice if I want to wear nice jeans and polo I can do it, if I want to wear khakis again I can... So take my advice it really bothers you about the dress code dont sail NCL.

I first noticed a huge move to more casual dress on my RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise. I only saw a few (and I mean very few) tuxes/gowns for both formal nights...certainly less than 6 or so couples. I saw a few more in suits/sports coats/summer dresses. The vast majority of people were wearing button shirts or polo shirts with nice "docker type" pants and women in pants suits/casual dresses.

On the Breakaway, dress was pretty typical of what I saw on the Allure and Epic, but didn't see anyone wearing a tux or gown.

This trend will continue and grow as it seems fewer and fewer people want to pack/wear more formal clothing on a cruise.

Because the airlines are charging for luggage, per suitcase & weight, people will tend to pack lighter. This might result in formal wear being replaced by a more casual wardrobe.

Only on our first cruise did I bring a gown, and DH a dark suite. Now, I might bring dressy tops & pants, and he'll wear a dress shirt and slacks.

I do not understand the people who complain about NCL dress code... There is a simple fix for this, dont sail NCL. I do not go onto Carnival, RCCL and complain about the dress codes. I know what there dress code is and I chose not to sail those cruise lines. The last thing I want on vacation is have to worry about a jacket and tie for dinner. I wear one 5 days a week, and frankly on vacation I am glad to see it go. I love the choice if I want to wear nice jeans and polo I can do it, if I want to wear khakis again I can... So take my advice it really bothers you about the dress code dont sail NCL.

FWIW Jacket and Tie is never required on Carnival anymore...even on Elegant night. Shorts and jeans are allowed on Casual nights.

The reason I LOVE NCL is the free style and relaxed attire, If I want to dress I can or I can just go comfortable,...so much easier and more enjoyable

Me too..:D

We dress casual all day onboard..and cruise casual for dinner...(if we want to be casual for dinner..we go to the buffet....NCL gives us the choice..;)

FWIW Jacket and Tie is never required on Carnival anymore...even on Elegant night. Shorts and jeans are allowed on Casual nights.

Key word there is "casual nights" every night on NCL is casual... Cruise like a Norwegian!

And people don't want to have to pack for and maybe pay extra baggage feed for formal.

That being said I always pack a few skirts and cute sandals with maybe a kick heel. I feel that is appropriate.

On the Dawn we were celebrating so I packed a dressy longish dress and my Louboutins. Felt great at dinner at LB. My mom dressed up and my nephew wore a suit jac but no tie. We did not notice others as we were enjoying ourselves.

I like freestyle. Yea NCL.

I believe NCL started the freestyle and casual wear for dinner and other cruise lines are now following suit so that tells me that NCL is doing something right and I am sure the casual trend on cruise ships is becoming the norm. Life at home is more stressing, busier and up tight now than 50 years ago, people actually enjoyed vacationing and doing the dress up, now more and more people just want to get away and relax which is more important than attire.

And people don't want to have to pack for and maybe pay extra baggage feed for formal.

That being said I always pack a few skirts and cute sandals with maybe a kick heel. I feel that is appropriate.

On the Dawn we were celebrating so I packed a dressy longish dress and my Louboutins. Felt great at dinner at LB. My mom dressed up and my nephew wore a suit jac but no tie. We did not notice others as we were enjoying ourselves.

I like freestyle. Yea NCL.

Define casual, even on Cunard you can wear shorts, ballcaps and jeans during the day....at night you can eat the buffet and not have to worry about what the dress code for the evening is, unless you plan on going to other activiites other than sitting in your stateroom all evening.:D

Archived