Can I use a US TA without an address in the US

Some Cruise line have an agreement that you can only book through a U.K. agent

Some will allow you to book with a North American TA

You have to ask the agents if they can book your cruise

Always thought I could not book a cruise using a US TA when I am resident in the UK with no US address. Is this correct?

There's no legal reason why not.

As LHT's post, it's some of the cruise lines which will only accept bookings via US agencies for folk who live in North America (incl Canada). And some agencies ignore this ruling.

If you know what cruise you want to book, e-mail a couple & ask.

Or make a general enquiry. They're efficient in getting back to you by e-mail or phone (and not at three in the morning :D).

Don't contact more than a couple - they're way more efficient & helpful, and persistent, than many this side of the Pond. You'll regret casting the net too wide.

Be aware that base figures quoted by US agents may not include port fees/taxes.

And commitment will be in USD, so between booking & paying you'll be at the mercy of currency fluctuations.

Your payments will be at risk - not covered by ABTA etc, so only use a credit card to pay.

Cancellation terms are much more generous.

Savings used to be huge, not so good now - esp late bookings which are very cheap in the UK. But if you don't ask you won't know.

Sorry, recommending travel agents' names is against Cruise Critic rules.

JB :)

Nothing sinister. We met a fellow named Ron who lives in Dorset on a cruise several years ago. Some might Diggle at the idea of a chance encounter. He's retired Royal Navy Anti-Sub guy.

I'm definitely not Ron - wrong sex to start with. I'm Chris from Weymouth - hello :)

Always thought I could not book a cruise using a US TA when I am resident in the UK with no US address. Is this correct?

Depends on the cruise line. Some are strict, others don't see an issue. Currency is the most serious issue. Not only are you going to have to add in taxes and port fees, but just about all banks/credit/debit cards charge for foreign currencies (1-5%) which you are going to have to factor in. You are also going to have to do your own air reservations (US agents can book only when the departure airport is in the US) as a general rule.

I routinely book through a US agent, but i have a US$ credit card.

Good luck!

-H

Depends on the cruise line. Some are strict, others don't see an issue. Currency is the most serious issue. Not only are you going to have to add in taxes and port fees, but just about all banks/credit/debit cards charge for foreign currencies (1-5%) which you are going to have to factor in. You are also going to have to do your own air reservations (US agents can book only when the departure airport is in the US) as a general rule.

I routinely book through a US agent, but i have a US$ credit card.

Good luck!

-H

All sounds a bit too much hassle for this pensioner. I'll carry on spending my kids' inheritance. We do seem to be getting a lot more discounted cruise fares in recent months - long may it continue :)

There's no legal reason why not.

As LHT's post, it's some of the cruise lines which will only accept bookings via US agencies for folk who live in North America (incl Canada). And some agencies ignore this ruling.

If you know what cruise you want to book, e-mail a couple & ask.

Or make a general enquiry. They're efficient in getting back to you by e-mail or phone (and not at three in the morning :D).

Don't contact more than a couple - they're way more efficient & helpful, and persistent, than many this side of the Pond. You'll regret casting the net too wide.

Be aware that base figures quoted by US agents may not include port fees/taxes.

And commitment will be in USD, so between booking & paying you'll be at the mercy of currency fluctuations.

Your payments will be at risk - not covered by ABTA etc, so only use a credit card to pay.

Cancellation terms are much more generous.

Savings used to be huge, not so good now - esp late bookings which are very cheap in the UK. But if you don't ask you won't know.

Sorry, recommending travel agents' names is against Cruise Critic rules.

JB :)

I agree about only using a credit card. And a good agency will ensure that your payment is made directly to the cruise line, not to the agency. So that offers further protection.

Hi there - I am also UK and from next cruise will be using a USA TA as the deals are far better!!! Like you I never realised that we could do this but a friend from England booked with Celebrity last week through a US TA and she got a far better deal both price wise and also OBC and other perks etc.

I am cruising in Sept and this week on the roll call a guy let everyone know about a price drop and all the US cruisers or those who booked with US TA's got upgrades etc and I called my TA and it was a disgrace what they were going to charge me for an upgrade so I for one am finished with UK TA's. Also i am really annoyed that Celebrity are treating us so badly and giving all the US cruisers a much better deal

I read before that European travelers have consumer protection laws or regulations that are more "generous" that those in the States. Would booking a cruise from a US TA void those consumer protections?

I read before that European travelers have consumer protection laws or regulations that are more "generous" that those in the States. Would booking a cruise from a US TA void those consumer protections?

Yes it would void them, as the TA needs to be a member of either ABTA or ATOL. That's why it's been advised to book with a credit card so you can make a claim if it all goes tits up......

Quick question for those from the UK who have used a US TA. Do you get a new cruiseline ID no. and have to start again at the bottom level or can they book you using your UK cruiseline ID no. and continue up the loyalty levels.
Generally one must start over and keep your new booking identity separate from your original UK identity. That said, I understand it also depends on both the TA you use and the cruiseline. Bearing in mind that you are circumventing the cruiseline polices (not a legal issue) by booking outside of their rules you don't want to bring attention to that fact.

here is a link to a helpful article written for the Aussie market, but much of it applies to your case in the UK.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

Archived