18% is for what ?

brian_uk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/9628308/Cruise-tipping-guide.html

My Question is having been charged 18% service charge on everything except breathing,we are then expected to pay an eye watering $14.50 PP a day gratuity on top.

Can somebody explain to me why we have to pay this top up charge on top of the service charge as to me they are one and the same.

To me this is a stelf tax adding to the cruise lines bottom line and not the employees pockets!!!

This is a very valid question.

Does it mean that anyone who works in a specific department, eg in a bar like Martinis, that they do not share in the daily gratuities and only get anything if given a tip directly by the guest, or do they only get the 18% service charge (or a share with the other bar staff in that bar, or is the 18% shared with all the staff who work in all the bars on the ship?)

Or is it the case that all crew share the pot of the daily gratuities, and the bar staff, for example, get an additional gratuity via the 18% s.c.?

I don't "really" need to know, but now the question has been asked, it would just be interesting to find out how the gratuities are distributed. Not in specific crew position, by crew position detail, but just so that we know that our daily gratuities are going to all the crew who look after us, not just the ones we see. For example, I would like to think that some of the gratuities were going to those who work so hard in the ship's laundry, day in, day out, enabling us our wonderfully comfortable nights' sleep in the beautifully laundered bed-linen.

My Question is having been charged 18% service charge on everything except breathing,we are then expected to pay an eye watering $14.50 PP a day gratuity on top.

Can somebody explain to me why we have to pay this top up charge on top of the service charge as to me they are one and the same.

To me this is a stelf tax adding to the cruise lines bottom line and not the employees pockets!!!

I am just guessing

On other lines the daily charge ($14.50) in this case it pooled by the wait staff, housekeeping staff

The 18% added to the bar bill is pooled between all the bar staff

Butlers have a separate pool (I think)

When you break it down it is not really a lot that each person may get ..rooms cleaned twice a day by 2 staff members

3 + meals a day served by several waitstaff

What would you leave for a tip if you were in a restaurant ashore for the same service :confused:

Of course you can always adjust the tips if you feel that you are not getting the service that is expected

Another link on the page you posted may also explain some things

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9579284/Cruise-ship-staff-paid-1.30-an-hour.html

Things change across the continent quite drastically....for example in Switzerland you would only round up to the next Franc - anything else is seen as quite gauche.

Gauche - maybe, but never refused :D

On all the lines the daily charge and added charge is really a surcharge to pay the crew. On all lines it is a point of dispute. I really don't understand why all lines do not just pay the crew, adjust the ticket price and let a tip be a tip!

Actually, if you do not drink, do not buy anything and do not use the spa (true for many passengers) you never pay 18% for anything - including breathing.

Thus the $14.50pp gratuity is for the staff that you DO use (waiters, cabin attendants, etc) but you DO NOT tip 18%.

Does that make sense?

I really don't understand why all lines do not just pay the crew, adjust the ticket price and let a tip be a tip!

I agree...just add the daily charge to the cruise prices

have NO TIPPING REQUIRED

just like the old days on HAL People will get used to the higher prices & will either pay the fare or go elsewhere Regent includes everything (not that I want an all inclusive Oceania) but for the gratuities it is one less thing to deal with

Actually, if you do not drink, do not buy anything and do not use the spa (true for many passengers) you never pay 18% for anything - including breathing.

Thus the $14.50pp gratuity is for the staff that you DO use (waiters, cabin attendants, etc) but you DO NOT tip 18%.

Does that make sense?

I See your point but most people drink more than a coke on a holiday, and what a sad holiday they must have not having a drink!!!

Why does the Hilton Hotel not charge $29.00 a day extra gratuity on top of the room charge the answer is

No one would pay it !!!!

This charge is a tax to boost the bottom line nothing more in fact this year Oceania have given free gratuities on many of their cruises.

On a ten day cruise it comes to $290.00 Just add it to the price it will not only simplify the pricing this small sum will make no difference to most customers.

Paul we are on the same cruise I think in January Let me buy you a drink and have a laugh about this thread.

The world cruise is a good example, room tips are included, if not the charge to your onboard account would of been at least 5400$. I am sure the crew salary has been adjusted and the fare has it in it. IMO this system hurts the crew. As a example if I spend 300$ in the spa no matter how great it was when I sign and see a 54$ tip is already there I will not give more. If the bill was just say 325$ then I would add what I consider a tip for the service I got. Is not that what a tip should be? Oceana wants to be a upscale line, I think doing away with the surcharges would make them more upscale.

I See your point but most people drink more than a coke on a holiday, and what a sad holiday they must have not having a drink!!!

As a non-drinker, through choice, I find your comment that non-drinkers must surely have a "sad" holiday, quite, eh sad actually! :eek: :p

People do not drink alcohol for all sorts of reasons; not all of them are friends of BillW - and believe me it took us a long time to work that one out!!

At least you'll never find me crying in my beer, nursing a hangover or looking ridiculous when I've had one too many - sad, no! I have the best of times, all perfectly sober and to boot, I was presented with all sorts of interesting non-alcoholic cocktails on our recent Regatta trip - that made a welcome change from the usual!

My DH does enjoy his beer, wine, GnT, etc., so the prestige package worked out well for him. A least one of us can steer a steady path back to our stateroom! LOL! ;)

Hotels already include service charges i.e. labour or wage costs - it's just not broken down as an additional charge as they do on cruise ships.

I do wish they would just include a "service charge" and not call it gratuities and it would put an end to these endless tipping discussions. Then the fare is the fare, and if you want to tip, then you can do, or not, as you so please. It would certainly suit me and I'm sure many more - from both sides of the Atlantic!:)

You described exactly what happened to me when I had a spa treatment on Regatta in 2011. I was presented with a bill and there was a proper area where everything should have been filled in by the staff. Instead, they moved the charges and gratuity up higher, leaving a big blank space, so that it appeared as if one should add a tip. I thought it was odd, but I added a tip.

Once back in our stateroom, I noticed what happened, and I immediately called the salon to report the error and that I wanted the additional gratuity that I had added removed.

They said they would (and they did.) My husband, a tax accountant who checks our accounts daily, verified that the charge was removed, and then the next time we went through the spa area to go to the front loungers, I spoke to the manager in person. I calmly told the manager that I didn't think it was good practice to move the description and gratuity higher on the page, and I hoped no other passenger would be tricked like that. The manager said it was a mistake of the masseuse and she would advise her not to do it again. Nevertheless, I decided I did not want to have another treatment based solely on that incident. I did not feel I would be able to relax comfortably for another massage.

Now I read that the exact same thing happened to you, so I believe it is their common practice and frankly, I think it is shameful.

I hope that Mr. Del Rio or Mr. Kamlani will put an end to this practice.

It was very secretively presented that there was a 18% surcharge already added. I think it is common practice with this spa, as it isn't really mentioned hardly anywhere. As I had said, we added a 20% tip on the already 18% included tip, amounting to a 41% tip overall. In my wife's case, it was a lower priced service, so it was no big deal. We went for 2 more treatments, but we were also careful to not get burned again. I'm sure we aren't the only ones to have been upset by double tipping without knowing. I've seen it on other lines as well. The spa adds on the gratuity without telling you directly. Pretty deceptive IMO, and not cool . :mad:

A reflection ... on our last Med cruise it appeared that a good number of passengers were from European countries. Since the tipping etiquette is different in these countries than the US, could this be the reason for some of the postings on CC about tipping on O?

It was very secretively presented that there was a 18% surcharge already added. I think it is common practice with this spa, as it isn't really mentioned hardly anywhere. As I had said, we added a 20% tip on the already 18% included tip, amounting to a 41% tip overall. In my wife's case, it was a lower priced service, so it was no big deal. We went for 2 more treatments, but we were also careful to not get burned again. I'm sure we aren't the only ones to have been upset by double tipping without knowing. I've seen it on other lines as well. The spa adds on the gratuity without telling you directly. Pretty deceptive IMO, and not cool . :mad:

No big deal but you have repeated this a couple of times? Seems to me that you feel very strongly about this and it has unfortunately tarnished your cruise experience. A comment on-board to Canyon Ranch management may have yielded you some satisfaction or at least the opportunity to be heard.

In my case there was a line for an additional tip on the bill (it was a standard printed bill and not handwritten) but it was not a secret and printed right above the line where I am to write in the total and below the line with the 18% auto tip. In fact it was pointed out to me that the auto tip was already added on and anything further was appreciated but optional.

(personally I do not like anyone asking/remarking for a tip but the employee had a pre-printed form in their hand so either had to mention it or keep it secret. ) I did not return for more.

Paul we are on the same cruise I think in January Let me buy you a drink and have a laugh about this thread.

Roger,

you can buy me a Perrier, as that is what I drink :D

I don't have any cruises booked for January, but maybe we'll have a laugh another time. Enjoy your cruise in January.

I do agree with many above posters that the gratuity should just be included in the price.

But, would those of us that receive free prepaid gratuities (via TA or as elite bonus) get a better discount from TA or larger OBC from O instead of prepaid gratuities?

Roger,

you can buy me a Perrier, as that is what I drink :D

I don't have any cruises booked for January, but maybe we'll have a laugh another time. Enjoy your cruise in January.

I do agree with many above posters that the gratuity should just be included in the price.

But, would those of us that receive free prepaid gratuities (via TA or as elite bonus) get a better discount from TA or larger OBC from O instead of prepaid gratuities?

Oh no not another "Sad" cruiser??? LOL!

A reflection ... on our last Med cruise it appeared that a good number of passengers were from European countries. Since the tipping etiquette is different in these countries than the US, could this be the reason for some of the postings on CC about tipping on O?

Yes time and time again! :)

"As a non-drinker, through choice, I find your comment that non-drinkers must surely have a "sad" holiday, quite, eh sad actually!

People do not drink alcohol for all sorts of reasons; not all of them are friends of BillW - and believe me it took us a long time to work that one out!! "

I fully agree. Let me put it this way....some people do not need alcohol to have a wonderful vacation.

No big deal but you have repeated this a couple of times? Seems to me that you feel very strongly about this and it has unfortunately tarnished your cruise experience. A comment on-board to Canyon Ranch management may have yielded you some satisfaction or at least the opportunity to be heard.

In my case there was a line for an additional tip on the bill (it was a standard printed bill and not handwritten) but it was not a secret and printed right above the line where I am to write in the total and below the line with the 18% auto tip. In fact it was pointed out to me that the auto tip was already added on and anything further was appreciated but optional.

(personally I do not like anyone asking/remarking for a tip but the employee had a pre-printed form in their hand so either had to mention it or keep it secret. ) I did not return for more.

YoHoHo: It was not a big deal in that it was 20 or 30 bucks extra as compared to the entire cruise price.

I mentioned this "a couple times" because i was responding to the poster who was responding to me.

Now I am mentioning it again, in response to your post about my post.

That is how forums work.

Your experience was different from ours. It clearly was a hidden charge on our receipt.

I understand the required 18% gratuity is there, and I think it is a good idea to let the customer know that an 18% gratuity has already been added, but no comment about additional tips should me made at all, and that includes the "appreciated but optional" statement.

I understand the required 18% gratuity is there, and I think it is a good idea to let the customer know that an 18% gratuity has already been added, but no comment about additional tips should me made at all, and that includes the "appreciated but optional" statement.

I agree. "personally I do not like anyone asking/remarking for a tip ..."

oceania should reduce the "gratuities" to 15 %

18 % is on a cruise ship simply exuberant:(

we are on a duty free ship not in the center of manhattan or near Rodeo Drive

the wine and drinks prices are already VERY high on Oceania -

I've been to the spa many times for hair, nails, massage, etc. and was told the 18% was a tip. At the prices they charge, I would not leave more tip money, unless it was shipboard credits I was trying to use up before leaving the ship.

Archived