Visa,s

Do Australian Passport holders need visa,s for onshore excursions in Cambodia, Vietnam & Hong Kong or do that country's officials come on board & give blanket visa's.
You might need to check with the cruiseline. Which cruise is it?

No visa required for Hong Kong. Vietnam you do, but I think most ships organise them for you and charge your on board account. Don't know about Cambodia. You would be best to check with the cruise line to see if they process them for you. I do know if you are only having single days in port in Vietnam the cost is around $35, but if you intend to spend overnight ashore you will need to have a passport size photo and the cost is around $70. Both these visas types are multi entry. I have just gone through this process with Celebrity for my upcoming Asian cruise on Millennium.

Thanks for your reply as we are getting nowhere, but have until next March to sort it out.;) as I said we were in a similar position & told by TA we needed them off a Costa Cruise.... Well we were the only people with Visa's for Vietnam the rest had them stamped by Customs on board. So don't want to get caught again, one way or the other.

Visas are not required for Hong Kong. We have been on a Princess cruise that went to Vietnam and Cambodia and didn't get visas before we went. Required visas were organised by the cruiseline and costs were debited to our on-board account.

Close to your cruise your Cruise Personaliser (or whatever it is called with Holland America) should tell you what visas are required.

Thank you very helpful and as we thought but like to sure would hate to be stuck on board.

Also check with the Department of foreign affairs and/ or the Department of Immigration. Here is a link which you may find useful.

http://australia.gov.au/topics/tourism-and-travel/passport-and-visa-information

cheers :D

Just confirmng as above .We have been with Princess to Cambodia once and to Vietnam three times. On each visit the ship arranged any Visa and charged our on board account. We paid around $25, but I have heard of some lines that charge up to $50 . The amount seems to vary for each cruise line .

Just confirmng as above .We have been with Princess to Cambodia once and to Vietnam three times. On each visit the ship arranged any Visa and charged our on board account. We paid around $25, but I have heard of some lines that charge up to $50 . The amount seems to vary for each cruise line .

Thanks for the info, I wonder why the cruiselines charges differing prices. Would it be due to a service fee?

Thanks for the info, I wonder why the cruiselines charges differing prices. Would it be due to a service fee?

I think it just depends on whether a directive has been issued from Head Office , or if its left to the Officer in charge of Guest Services to decide how much to charge , once they have done the paper work with the local authorities.

I think it just depends on whether a directive has been issued from Head Office , or if its left to the Officer in charge of Guest Services to decide how much to charge , once they have done the paper work with the local authorities.

Fair enough. I thought that if the visa is $25 per person, the cruise line may decide to charge something on top for facilitating the application.:D

Yes, but apart from that, like if the particular country is passing on fees to one cruise line but not the other due to a deal. :D

Sounds dodgy as. Wouldn't be very likely, unless there was dodginess going on.

The cruise lines themselves have quite variable pricing for such things though e.g. how some lines will pay for the shuttles themselves, whereas others will pass the cost on, and then others again make a significant profit. :D

Sounds dodgy as. Wouldn't be very likely, unless there was dodginess going on.

The cruise lines themselves have quite variable pricing for such things though e.g. how some lines will pay for the shuttles themselves, whereas others will pass the cost on, and then others again make a significant profit. :D

All the cruise lines are in it for the profits, it may just be how much they are prepared to make.:D

Can we please get back to my original query. In case it has been forgotten do the Holland America do Visa's from the Ship for the likes of Vietnam.

Have you posted on the HAL board? Maybe not a lot of Aussies have been to Vietnam on a HAL ship. I have been on a Princess ship and they organised the visas, but I can't assume it will be the same on HAL, although it is likely. :)

Can we please get back to my original query. In case it has been forgotten do the Holland America do Visa's from the Ship for the likes of Vietnam.

Sorry, we went off on a tangent. Perhaps HAL is best positioned to answer that when they know, until then you may just have to wait. I am sure HAL will not leave it until it is too late.:D

HAL themselves can't give an answer until closer to the date so I thought I'd give it a try here, thanks for your input.

These threads may be of help to you ..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1886238&highlight=visa+vietnam+hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1695599&highlight=visa+vietnam+hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1287973&highlight=visa+vietnam+hal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1178212&highlight=visa+vietnam+hal

Archived