Back 2 back -- ship swap

BarbaraM

We have a Nautica cruise booked for next summer and are considering taking a Marina cruise that leaves the same day we disembark at the same port. Different class ship and itinerary sounds like fun, especially since its our first time on Oceania. I assume this has been done before, just having trouble searching for it on my IPad. So, if you don't mind a question that may have been asked and answered-- I have a couple. Is it possible to luggage drop well before boarding time? What is the absolute latest you can stay on board? Is there anything to do in Southhampton for the 6 hours or so before we can board the Marina? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The latest you can stay onboard is usually 9am sometimes 9:30

I would think you could leave your luggage at the port except for carry-on

not sure about checking in early they usually have a time set up for check-in for the suites around 11 am

I would book a tour to Bath or Stonehenge rather sitting around the port building hoping to board early (unless you are in a top suite)

YMMV

Lyn

We have a Nautica cruise booked for next summer and are considering taking a Marina cruise that leaves the same day we disembark at the same port. Different class ship and itinerary sounds like fun, especially since its our first time on Oceania. I assume this has been done before, just having trouble searching for it on my IPad. So, if you don't mind a question that may have been asked and answered-- I have a couple. Is it possible to luggage drop well before boarding time? What is the absolute latest you can stay on board? Is there anything to do in Southhampton for the 6 hours or so before we can board the Marina? Any other tips would be appreciated.

I wouldn't count on having the kind of restful turn around day which one experiences with a typical back to back cruise, but after you have shepherded your belongings through Customs, you will certainly have the time for a very full day of touring Southampton and it's environs.

Southampton-England-001.jpg

The Concierge staff on the two ships will take care of luggage custody, checking in on the Marina, etc, but only you can represent you at the Customs desk.

Get that done, and you will virtually be able to write your own ticket for the rest of the day. ;)

Interesting, thinking about the same thing. We are on the Nautica that arrives Southampton on Aug 2. At this time we are booked on the Marina leaving Southampton on the same day for Baltic Thanks for the idea. Thinking and checking on doing this.

Curious--do you get the usual b2b benefits if you change ship?

What ARE the usual b2b benefits? We've never done a b2b before, though we're booked on a "grand voyage" next year. Are there some unwritten perks that we should be aware of?

What ARE the usual b2b benefits? We've never done a b2b before, though we're booked on a "grand voyage" next year. Are there some unwritten perks that we should be aware of?

Not sure what perks you get on a B2B other than the 5% discount on the cruises

We have done a few B2B's if there were extra perks we missed them

A Grand voyage I believe already takes into account the discount

Lyn

Not sure what perks you get on a B2B other than the 5% discount on the cruises

Lyn

I enquired about the B2B discount last year when looking at doing 2 cruises but on different ships disembarking & then embarking on the same day and was told to get the discount both cruises had to be on the 1 ship. So check with your TA as things may have changed or maybe I was just given the wrong information.

I have done 4 B2B's with O and like Lyn did not get any other perks besides the 5%.

Rhonda

I wouldn't count on having the kind of restful turn around day which one experiences with a typical back to back cruise,

It's less stressful than the alternative.... Flying home !

Is there anything to do in Southhampton for the 6 hours or so before we can board the Marina? Any other tips would be appreciated.

BarbaraM,

Doesn’t look like anyone has expanded on your question about how to spend the day.

If you are so inclined, I would echo the suggestion that you hire a private guide with transportation and hit the nearby highlights. Finding a company that offers that is easy on the Internet. Here's an alternative for you:

DW and I are on a cruise that embarks in Southampton. We are going 3 days early since we have never explored the southern part of England. While there are some nice things to see in Southampton itself we are going to visit Salisbury & Stonehenge on one day and then Portsmouth & Winchester on the next. Both will be DIY adventures.

A 40 minute train ride from central Southampton (10 minute taxi ride from cruise terminal) to Salisbury puts us in the station where we will get on the HoHo bus that takes you to 3 sites: Stonehenge, Old Sarum and Salisbury Cathedral. The total cost including round trip train, tour bus and entry into the 3 sites would run about $180 for two people (this year’s prices). If you got off the ship reasonably early this round trip is doable in about 6 hours. Here are the links to the train info and the Stonehenge HoHo tour:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/times.shtml

Thanks PT, that is a great idea!

You could also visit the New Forest area which is close to Southampton. Winchester is a lovely place to visit, although I wouldn't visit Winchester and Portsmouth on the same day...opposite directions, but as always it's personal choice.:)

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk

http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk

Archived