Caribbean wine and food purchases?

limace

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone found interesting wine worth purchasing in the Caribbean? How about fabulous local ingredients to bring home for cooking? (And if this is the wrong board, I apologize). Thanks!

We purchased a nice botte of white on one of the islands, at the "recommended"store. It was a stretch ..... A pretty expensive bottle, that we had before. It had "corked"' so it was un drinkable. I'll take the wines onboard any day. At least i won't have to throw it away!

At about $3/pound, its worth bringing back several wheels of Gouda cheese. Dutch Gouda in the US goes for around $13/pound so a nice wedge would be a very nice gift to a friend.

Macaroni and Gouda cheese is incredible!

Anything from The Grenada Chocolate Company. Check out their inspiring story online. Grenada is the largest producer of nutmeg. Fresh whole nutmeg is easy to use, huge flavor, and lasts a long time.

I always buy spices when in Grenada. They suffered so severely for so long after that horrible hurricane, I like to do whatever to help their recovering economy. So much devastation but it's good to see them bouncing back. Their new cruise terminal and area are big improvement over what was there previously.

but have bought cheese and jarred pate's and spices from St.Martin and Martinique and even fresh baked French bread. I have bought pate for the cabin to go with the bread and cheese.

Bringing food onto the ship is not the same as bringing it off in port.

HAL Ships permit (most) food items within reason to be brought aboard but do not try bringing your fresh pate off in the next port. :)

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone found interesting wine worth purchasing in the Caribbean? How about fabulous local ingredients to bring home for cooking? (And if this is the wrong board, I apologize). Thanks!

Having recently spent a couple of weeks driving (and wine tasting) in your home state we think you would be very unhappy with any wine produced in the Caribbean. You already live in a wine paradise (we were amazed at the high quality of many of the wines we tasted at small wineries in Oregon) so why leave home :). We have actually tried a few of the Caribbean wines made from some of the local and regional fruit. If you happen to get to Trinidad or Tobago you might want to look for some of wines from a vineyard called Bellaforma! Trust me that you will quickly miss Oregon wines.

Hank

Having recently spent a couple of weeks driving (and wine tasting) in your home state we think you would be very unhappy with any wine produced in the Caribbean. You already live in a wine paradise (we were amazed at the high quality of many of the wines we tasted at small wineries in Oregon) so why leave home :). We have actually tried a few of the Caribbean wines made from some of the local and regional fruit. If you happen to get to Trinidad or Tobago you might want to look for some of wines from a vineyard called Bellaforma! Trust me that you will quickly miss Oregon wines.

Hank

P.S. Now Rum is a different matter. There are quite a few decent Anejo rums made in the Caribbean...that deserve to be savored like a fine Cognac.

Hank

but have bought cheese and jarred pate's and spices from St.Martin and Martinique and even fresh baked French bread. I have bought pate for the cabin to go with the bread and cheese.

Unopened wheels of cheese in the original wax covering can be brought back to the US and they last for years in the refrigerator. Flying with them in checked luggage (HAL roller bag) for up to eight hours is not a problem as they retain their internal temperature for a long time.

HAL will store the cheese for you until the evening before disembarkation. Upon receiving them from cold storage, I put the cheese wheels in large ziploc bags and ice them in the bathtub until just before placing them in the roller bag for midnight pickup.

We always go to the Guavaberry Emporium in St. Maarten. We used to only buy the liquor, but when we were there last year we bought some of their Jerk Seasoning and Guavaberry BBQ sauce. Best jerk seasoning we've ever had and the sauce is excellent. We will be stocking up big time when we are there in November! They have a nice variety of different seasonings and sauces to choose from.

We also love our spices from Grenada and the chocolate from there is so good!

Hank

P.S. Now Rum is a different matter. There are quite a few decent Anejo rums made in the Caribbean...that deserve to be savored like a fine Cognac.

Hank

Good point! I was thinking more of wine to drink on the ship, since we're fortunate to be sailing before the policy changes :). We are very, very lucky here in Oregon.

Rum is a great idea, and thanks everyone else. A whole wheel of gouda! That'd be fabulous.

Archived