Do the menus specify when there is alcohol in something?

MtnBikerFallDown

OK, strange question of the day... in the MDR, do they list when something has alcohol in it? I am allergic to a specific part of the alcohol that doesn't burn off, even if they light it on fire in the dish! So, if I'm eating buffet, etc, I just pick carefully and try to hit things that are hard to hide alcohol in!

Luckily, I can take a Benadryl and not do too badly. But, prefer to be upright on the cruise, if i can. LOL!

If they don't label carefully, I'll just send in an allergy form, which I did on Carnival and they were WONDERFUL about it. We even did the Chef's Table and they had a special drink for me and a special non-alcoholic desert, too.

From what everyone has said on here, I feel sure Princess would go that extra mile, I just thought I'd ask and see if I had to do that, or could muddle thru on my own!

They will usually state it if it's in the sauce or the smoothie "soups". Your waiter and/or head waiter will be able to tell you otherwise. Talk to the head waiter ahead of time (like at the first dinner) and tell them about your issue. He'll be able to point to things within your dietary restrictions.

They will usually state it if it's in the sauce or the smoothie "soups". Your waiter and/or head waiter will be able to tell you otherwise. Talk to the head waiter ahead of time (like at the first dinner) and tell them about your issue. He'll be able to point to things within your dietary restrictions.

I have read several times to talk to the head waiter or maitre 'd. They are trained to help people with allergies. The waiters are NOT.

The sauces and soups are the ones they sneak it by me most often! I have us signed up for the Anytime dining (hope I used the right name, this is my first Princess cruise), but even with that, they can keep track of a listed allergy, right?

Thanks to everyone for the help on this! Just to be on the safe side, I'll probably go ahead and let them know about my weirdo allergy ways. I'll post the response, just in case anyone ever has this issue (it's such a rare allergy, I've only ever heard of one other person having it... and it was on a cruise ship!).

I have seen people order dinner a day in advance with the help of maitre'd to accommodate allergies. It seems once you connect with him and make arrangements he will come to the dinner table, no matter where you sit, and help you order for the next evening.

Let your waiter know as soon as you are seated the first night. He will bring over the Table Captain or Maitre d' who will advise you the first night and then each night, bring you the next day's menus (breakfast, lunch and dinner.) You can then pre-order anything or ask to have a dish modified for the next day. I've often cruised with others who are allergic and this is how it's done.

It's easier with Traditional dining but as you have Anytime, try to eat in the same dining room at night. With Anytime, you'll need to let your waiter know you've pre-ordered dinner and he will check with the Table Captain. You can do the same thing for breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

I actually met a couple on the Ocean Princess last September waiting to see the maître 'd on the first day. The husband had an alcohol allergy. The maître 'd actually remembered them from a previous cruise. As soon as they approached him, he said "Alcohol allergy"!

All was taken care of from that point forward.

Amusingly, the wife was sipping the glass of mini-suite champagne while waiting their turn. I wondered if she ever planted a kiss on her husband during an argument after sipping a drink ;o)

Let your waiter know as soon as you are seated the first night. He will bring over the Table Captain or Maitre d' who will advise you the first night and then each night, bring you the next day's menus (breakfast, lunch and dinner.) You can then pre-order anything or ask to have a dish modified for the next day. I've often cruised with others who are allergic and this is how it's done.

It's easier with Traditional dining but as you have Anytime, try to eat in the same dining room at night. With Anytime, you'll need to let your waiter know you've pre-ordered dinner and he will check with the Table Captain. You can do the same thing for breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

Everyone on the boards is right... you are a font of knowledge!!! ;) I put my allergy in on the personalizer (we aren't traveling 'til February 2014), so I'll tell the Maitre d' as well, and then remind the waiter. Phew... isn't it funny that my diabetes is MUCH easier dealt with than this? Funny thing, though, is that most people look at me as if I've announced I have a terminal illness when I tell them about the alcohol allergy, but don't bat an eye at the diabetes. LOL. Guess we know they like their pints more than their cakes. :D

I actually met a couple on the Ocean Princess last September waiting to see the maître 'd on the first day. The husband had an alcohol allergy. The maître 'd actually remembered them from a previous cruise. As soon as they approached him, he said "Alcohol allergy"!

All was taken care of from that point forward.

Amusingly, the wife was sipping the glass of mini-suite champagne while waiting their turn. I wondered if she ever planted a kiss on her husband during an argument after sipping a drink ;o)

How funny! I wonder if it was the same guy as we met ages ago on a RC cruise!

My hubby is a drinker, and he always threatens (jokingly! I promise!) to breathe on me if I'm not nice! He gets no smoochies 'til he brushes his teeth!! I'm taking him on this cruise for his birthday (as a surprise, he has no idea right now), so I'm pretty sure I'll have to get him to brush his teeth frequently. ;)

I can not drink or eat alcohol and the thought that you add it to your allergies in the pre-cruise allergy form is excellent. I would also speak with the head waiter and then double check when you order, particularly desserts or soup. A lot of things do list that they are made with alcohol, but some don't. A couple of years ago I ordered an apple turnover or tart (don't recall exactly) and it was LOADED with rum. I was talking when it arrived, so didn't give it my usual 'sniff test'. I took my spoon and put a nice helping in my mouth and then literally spit it out (discretely of course). I always ask at least once per meal if there is alcohol in something I'm ordering. Since allergies react more strongly and swifter on each successive exposure, it's better to be safe than sorry. Someday that benadryl might not be enough, and you sure don't want to have that happen while out to sea and far from a hospital. Nor would having to be evacuated from the ship be a great way to spend vacation.

Maureen

If you sometimes have meal in the Lido Buffet, do be sure to ask to speak to the buffet manager. We became friendly with one who told us he wished people with allergies, special diets, etc. realized they could also meet their needs in the buffet if people would tell him.

LuLu

~~~~

The number of people with food allergies is surprisingly common. My daughter has a shellfish allergy as does a friend. The friend is so allergic to shellfish that she could literally die so cruising with my daughter and then my friend and her husband was educational about how Princess handles allergies. You'll be taken care of.

I find Princess to be great at accommodating allergies of all kinds.

In a past cruise, I had to see the maitre 'd about switching my table, and there were about 10 guests in front of me waiting to see what they could do for their allergies.

However, it would be easier to do it ahead of time, in my eyes.

As mentioned earlier, all you have to do is speak to the Head Waiter in the dining room. He will go over the next day's menus with you (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and answer any questions. They will also be happy to make something without alcohol that normally uses alcohol.

I don't know whether or not listing it in advance helps. But I've seen the Head Waiters work with people with lots of different kinds of allergies. That is a part of their job that they take seriously.

With anytime dining, you may also want to reserve a table in a specific dining room at a specific time if you are ordering something specially made.

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many so there is alcohol served with the meals. I mean, children order off the adult menus all the time. Alcoholics order off the menu. I've been on lots of cruises and I'm just stunned they put hard liquor in the food with never a warning.

So what food would have alcohol?

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many so there is alcohol served with the meals. I mean, children order off the adult menus all the time. Alcoholics order off the menu. I've been on lots of cruises and I'm just stunned they put hard liquor in the food with never a warning.

So what food would have alcohol?

It's not the served WITH (as in, a drink), it's the cooked IN. For example, what made me think of this was someone's description of the black and bleu onion soup. It's made with whiskey. Even thought it is cooked, a certain amount of alcohol remains. Therefore, it will trigger my allergy. Anything that has a butter sauce called beurre blanc almost always has white wine in it. Often, steaks are served with a wine based sauce. Desserts are often made with liqueurs. I have had reactions to food I would never have thought had alcohol in it. Then, as I'm wheezing, the person I asked before I ordered it is usually apologizing profusely and saying, "But they said it cooked off!" :rolleyes:

Also, my particular allergy isn't just triggered by hard liquor. I've had two very bad reactions so far. One was to honey mead (the very first reaction I had, they had to give me epinephrine and were about to intubate me when it subsided. Yay for drugs!), and the other was to a very small amount of white wine in a dessert. I couldn't even taste it, and the waiter had no idea it was in the dessert. Luckily, I had liquid benadryl on stand-by and got to the ER in time to get an epi-pen (I carry one now. Live and learn).

I wasn't doubting your allergy - or the severity. I truly was curious as I've never seen it mentioned on any menus and there are plenty of children that are eating those meals. I don't like the idea that my 3 YO was ingesting booze. Recovering alcoholics probably wouldn't be too happy to know that either. I have to say, it really is something that I've never thought of and if there really is alcohol in foods served than there should absolutely be an comment on the menu.

With anytime dining, you may also want to reserve a table in a specific dining room at a specific time if you are ordering something specially made.

They will save your request by name and cabin number, so it is not necessary to keep using the same table.

Using the same anytime dining room is suggested so you can work with the same headwaiter each evening to plan the next day's meals.

I wasn't doubting your allergy - or the severity. I truly was curious as I've never seen it mentioned on any menus and there are plenty of children that are eating those meals. I don't like the idea that my 3 YO was ingesting booze. Recovering alcoholics probably wouldn't be too happy to know that either. I have to say, it really is something that I've never thought of and if there really is alcohol in foods served than there should absolutely be an comment on the menu.

Truthfully, there usually is some indication on the menu if there is alcohol in a dish. My big concern is generally dessert and coffee, because neither of these are cooked off. OP can't even have it if it's cooked off, as least I can do that much, but I still try to avoid it. I cooked with alcohol forever and I believe most restaurants do as well. when cooked off, it just leaves a flavor, not alcohol. I don't worry about a youngster eating it. Plus, everyone has children's menus and that food is NOT cooked with alcohol. I only had one time when they did me the 'favor' of adding extra wine to the liver and onions after it was cooked! Yes, they had to make me a whole new dish, and this was at a DINER not a ship or fancy restaurant.

Oh, I didn't take it that way. Sorry if I came across as thinking that! :eek:

I think for those purposes (kids, recovering alcoholics) there simply isn't even enough left after cooking to register. But, it does kind of make me think. I just look at it from the allergy point, but others probably see it rather differently, depending on their issue (kids, addiction, etc).

Thanks to all the other posters who have helped me know what to do! I've already gotten a little notice from Princess that they will work with me on my food, and will contact me closer to cruise time. Super cool!

Archived