Need some help with white wines..

Windsailer

I'm writing a letter to HAL suggesting some changes to the wine lists. I have the reds covered, but since I don't drink white wine (except champagne) I need some help. Looking for white wines in the $6-8 retail range that are good. White wine drinkers - let me know!

We don't spend high money on our wines at home, but truthfully in our state, there isn't much drinkable in the $6 range.

Yellowbird has a few okay (sort of) wines in the $10 range but that is about the lowest we have anything decent in MA that I've seen.

There are some great New World wines at very reasonable prices....Santa Rita Sauvignon Blanc from Chile, Trapiche Astica Sauvignon from Argentina, Two Oceans Sauvignon from South Aftrica (Sauvignon Blanc is my favourite!) All under $10 and I live in Ontario and taxes are high!

My two favourites are both from New Zealand. The first is Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and the second is an amazing wine, Kim Crawford also a Sauvignon Blanc. Both in the mid to upper teens in price here in Alberta.

My two favourites are both from New Zealand. The first is Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and the second is an amazing wine, Kim Crawford also a Sauvignon Blanc. Both in the mid to upper teens in price here in Alberta.

OOH love the Oyster Bay but have not tried the Kim Crawford, might head over to the LCBO after work:D

There are some great New World wines at very reasonable prices....Santa Rita Sauvignon Blanc from Chile, Trapiche Astica Sauvignon from Argentina, Two Oceans Sauvignon from South Aftrica (Sauvignon Blanc is my favourite!) All under $10 and I live in Ontario and taxes are high!

Great suggestions!!!!!

Great idea as the wines they feature are pretty dismal. Two whites that come to mind that are often on sale retail in the $8-10 range are the Husch Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay-both from Mendocino County in California. HAL would no doubt pay $6-8 for them, mark them up by a factor of 4 or 5 and their customers would have some good quality wines at a reasonable price instead of the overpriced stuff (I was tempted to say swill) they currently offer. You said you had the reds covered but a very good red to consider in the $8 on sale retail price point is Bogle Petit Syrah from Northern California.

I don't think HAL gets it that a big reason many of us bring wine on board is because of the quality of the stuff they feature. It is bad and overpriced. Another questionable presentation is offering a 2008 or so Brunello for what I recall was around $125, which is not an unreasonable price for an excellent Brunello. Problem is the 2008 is not drinkable for about 2-3 more years.

Gary

I'm writing a letter to HAL suggesting some changes to the wine lists. I have the reds covered, but since I don't drink white wine (except champagne) I need some help. Looking for white wines in the $6-8 retail range that are good. White wine drinkers - let me know!

My good Friend enjoys Kendall Jackson Chardonnay & we always buy her a bottle for her birthday...But it's not in the $8.00 bracket..It's more like

$11 up to $20. depending on the year... Total Wine's price is less than our Supermarket price but I'm sure it has to do with the year....

This is the way total wine describes it..

Quote California- Tasty tropical flavors such as mango, papaya and pineapple with citrus notes, delicately intertwine with aromas of green apple and pear to create depth and balance throughout. A hint of toasted oak rounds out the finish. Unquote

Cheers...Betty

I enjoy Bogle, Hess Select, Chateau St. Michele (sp?),Clos du Bois, and Columbia Crest Grand Estates...all chardonnay - buttery & oaky.

HAL has some of them....they are all in the same price range but that range varies depending upon location: Total Wine = $7.97 give or take. Here in MA, from $8.99 to $13.99 - $8.99 the lowest sale price I've seen.

My favorite is the Columbia Crest Grand Estates Chardonnay which costs from $11 (on sale) to $13.99 here. $7.97 at Total Wine as recently as February.

I've had it in the Pinnacle Grille by the glass and it's $14. Not sure of the bottle price.

They do need to work on their markup as they are gouging us at those prices...and that's why a lot of us bring our own and happily pay the corkage fee.

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Chardonnay - that's a heck of a mark-up. It's $7.07 in Total Wine today - for the bottle.

I can't find the bottle price on the HAL list but it's probably between $45 and $55. That's a 700% mark up! Give or take.... Outrageous. They need to stop gouging. :mad:

Looks like HAL is going to be restricted to California whites by the sounds of the suggestions. I don't mean to insult our neighbours but I have never tasted an $8 bottle of US white wine that I like. There are several in the $12 to $18 range that I like but that doesn't fit the criteria you established.

I do know that Total Wines carry Chilean, Argentinian and Australian white wines for under $10 that are O.K.

When sailing on HAL we tend to avoid California whites and stick to what we know, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Australian. Chardonnay, Italian Pinot Grigio.

We do purchase California whites at home but in the $15 to $20 price range. (Lots of taxes in the price of wines in our government controlled liquor stores.)

Blue Fin, Estancia, Rodney Strong Chardonnay. La Crema is $15---discovered that on Celebrity. That will be my mission---finding inexpensive wines. I could be good at that!

I will keep adding from time to time when I find something good.

My favorite is Woodbridge.....it is CHEAP, and for whatever reason, I like the taste. Sometimes Chardonnays can be too Oakey.

I like this idea---hope HAL is receptive. We have one more "wine free" 16 nighter in 2014.

Charles Shaw makes an excellent Chardonnay. They call it 2 buck chuck. The price I think is around $3.00 a bottle. Unfortunately, I think it is only sold at Trader Joes. And believe it or not...Walmart sells a Chard called Oak Leaf Chardonnay. Can't beat the price $2.97. I am a Chard drinker and prefer the California whites. Fat Bastard is a good one, around $9.00 Blackstone, $8.00.

My good Friend enjoys Kendall Jackson Chardonnay & we always buy her a bottle for her birthday...But it's not in the $8.00 bracket.

HAL already carries Kendall Jackson for about $52.00. I buy it for $10.00 retail.

I personally like the entire Mirassou line of wines.

Australia has some great wines as well (though I find many of their Chardonnay over oaked).... Wolf Blass Red Label Semillion/Sauvignon Blanc a little higher prices $12.95, Yellowtail Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc, Lindeman Bin 65 Chardonnay

Blue Fin, Estancia, Rodney Strong Chardonnay. La Crema is $15---discovered that on Celebrity. That will be my mission---finding inexpensive wines. I could be good at that!

I will keep adding from time to time when I find something good.

My favorite is Woodbridge.....it is CHEAP, and for whatever reason, I like the taste. Sometimes Chardonnays can be too Oakey.

I like this idea---hope HAL is receptive. We have one more "wine free" 16 nighter in 2014.

I like oakey. There in lies the problem...we're all different! :D La Crema is very good - $20 in this area. I like Rodney Strong as well.

Archived