Need some help with white wines..

Windsailer

I'm writing a letter to HAL suggesting some changes to the wine lists. I have the reds covered, but since I don't drink white wine (except champagne) I need some help. Looking for white wines in the $6-8 retail range that are good. White wine drinkers - let me know!

Hi:

As a red wine drinker, I can't wait to see what your recommendations are for those...

Based on the responses you have received to your original post, most of you seem to be fond of the cheapest swill you can guzzle for the least amount of money, for the buzz, with no regard to what goes well with the food you are consuming with it. That's the concept of "wine pairing". An overly oaked wine doesn't go with ANYTHING, in my humble opinion, except for the apparently marginal food that HAL and Celebrity seem to be serving in the MDR these days.

Although you might categorize DW and me as wine snobs, we enjoy a good quality wine that goes with our food, but we don't want to pay a ridiculous price for it. We are realistically prepared to pay between $60 to $75 for something drinkable that would cost $40 or so at home, but that's the way we roll.

By the same token, we prefer imported beer over the Bud and Coors Light that are so popular. We refuse to drink crap!

So please feel free to suggest your wines to the F & B managers at HAL, but I wouldn't expect much to change. Let the flaming begin!

Thanks, Ned

Hi:

As a red wine drinker, I can't wait to see what your recommendations are for those...

Based on the responses you have received to your original post, most of you seem to be fond of the cheapest swill you can guzzle for the least amount of money, for the buzz, with no regard to what goes well with the food you are consuming with it. That's the concept of "wine pairing". An overly oaked wine doesn't go with ANYTHING, in my humble opinion, except for the apparently marginal food that HAL and Celebrity seem to be serving in the MDR these days.

Although you might categorize DW and me as wine snobs, we enjoy a good quality wine that goes with our food, but we don't want to pay a ridiculous price for it. We are realistically prepared to pay between $60 to $75 for something drinkable that would cost $40 or so at home, but that's the way we roll.

By the same token, we prefer imported beer over the Bud and Coors Light that are so popular. We refuse to drink crap!

So please feel free to suggest your wines to the F & B managers at HAL, but I wouldn't expect much to change. Let the flaming begin!

Thanks, Ned

And, this, my friend, is precisely why it's been lovely that HAL has allowed each of us to bring aboard the wines that suit us best!

And, this, my friend, is precisely why it's been lovely that HAL has allowed each of us to bring aboard the wines that suit us best!

Until recently, I guess...

I am very disappointed that we can't BYOB anymore -- would be happy to pay the corkage up front if they would be satisfied.

Looks like HAL is going to be restricted to California whites by the sounds of the suggestions. I don't mean to insult our neighbours but I have never tasted an $8 bottle of US white wine that I like. There are several in the $12 to $18 range that I like but that doesn't fit the criteria you established.

I do know that Total Wines carry Chilean, Argentinian and Australian white wines for under $10 that are O.K.

When sailing on HAL we tend to avoid California whites and stick to what we know, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Australian. Chardonnay, Italian Pinot Grigio.

We do purchase California whites at home but in the $15 to $20 price range. (Lots of taxes in the price of wines in our government controlled liquor stores.)

Well I certainly hope not! and dump the stuff in the PG too. If I want to drink North American wines I can do that here.

I don't cruise to buy wines I can buy here - I think that is part of the problem.

If those are the choices on HAL ships then please, let me bring my wine on.

I really don't get why they don't bring wines in port anymore - Our cellar master was certainly stocking up for his selections - hopefully the same rules will apply to them and then we will see a reaction.

My two favourites are both from New Zealand. The first is Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and the second is an amazing wine, Kim Crawford also a Sauvignon Blanc. Both in the mid to upper teens in price here in Alberta.

Yes I love the Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc as well, and this year the vineyard has released a low alcohol version, 7% which I really like. You can't tell the difference! Luckily we got loads of savs to choose from in NZ. You can also get unoaked chardonnay which I would have if I can't choose a sav.

I do like trying the Californian & Washington wines on HAL, and I don't mind Berringer as HAL sell them at a reasonable price. And although I am a white wine drinker I drink their white zinfandel as that is not common here. So American wines have their place as they are new for me.

And like has been said many times recently, HAL do need to have a more extensive wine list, it's not like there's a shortage out there!

Hi:

Thanks, Ned

What I am actually aiming for is 2 or 3 red and white wines that are decent and can be priced at a point where those of us who can't bring our own wines on will find acceptable, if we can't find a good wine without an outrageous markup.

You are not going to find a wine on HAL's list that will cost you $40 at home and $60 or $70 on the ship. It will be more like $80 or $90 if not more.

TJs two/three five buck chuck has gone downhill. My preferred wines at home are Rex Goliath Malbec, Cos d' Estournel 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988 (cases of it bought many years ago), Educated Guess Cab 2009, Worthy "Sophia's Cuvee" 2004 and while I don't drink white wines I will drink Veuve Clicquot Brut and J Cuvee Brut 20 NV. I've bought and taken the last 4 on ships leaving from FLL. TY Total Wines.

You don't have to drink the wines I'm eventually going to suggest to Mr. Kruse if you don't want to if they make it on to the HAL wine lists. But it give everyone more choice than they have now - if HAL prices it reasonably - and perhaps make people more accpeting on the new wine policy.

And am perfectly capable of paining the "right"wines with food. And when I do I try not to guzzle.

Could you share your red suggestions? Inquiring minds ...

Thanks.

Still in the gathering of info process. The wines can't be boutique wines or not widely available - I expect HAL focuses on those that they can buy in largish qualties.

And now I have to focus on my upcoming cruise. I'll get this done in September.

Still in the gathering of info process. The wines can't be boutique wines or not widely available - I expect HAL focuses on those that they can buy in largish qualties.

And now I have to focus on my upcoming cruise. I'll get this done in September.

Thanks, Windsailor. I'm going to check out the ones you mentioned in the previous post. Like you, don't drink white wine.

I'll have to throw in some Washington wines...Mr. Kruse likes them.

aren't there enough already???

the few I have had in the PG have been absolutely awful - maybe there too long or whatever - but I won't get them anymore on board.

I'd like to see more options there - If I want to go to Washington - I will - if I want to buy it here (and I don't) I will.

Washington wines do not compare in my humble opinion to others out there.

Again we are getting personal and subjective.

If Mr. Kruse likes them he can have them at home - the ship is for experiences not what he likes.

sorry, not trying to be difficult but since our last experiences in the PG with the wine, we just order in the MDR and ask for it to be shipped over.

Isn't that special too?

What I am actually aiming for is 2 or 3 red and white wines that are decent and can be priced at a point where those of us who can't bring our own wines on will find acceptable, if we can't find a good wine without an outrageous markup.

You are not going to find a wine on HAL's list that will cost you $40 at home and $60 or $70 on the ship. It will be more like $80 or $90 if not more.

TJs two/three five buck chuck has gone downhill. My preferred wines at home are Rex Goliath Malbec, Cos d' Estournel 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988 (cases of it bought many years ago), Educated Guess Cab 2009, Worthy "Sophia's Cuvee" 2004 and while I don't drink white wines I will drink Veuve Clicquot Brut and J Cuvee Brut 20 NV. I've bought and taken the last 4 on ships leaving from FLL. TY Total Wines.

You don't have to drink the wines I'm eventually going to suggest to Mr. Kruse if you don't want to if they make it on to the HAL wine lists. But it give everyone more choice than they have now - if HAL prices it reasonably - and perhaps make people more accpeting on the new wine policy.

And am perfectly capable of paining the "right"wines with food. And when I do I try not to guzzle.

I didn't want to appear rude before, and your post above is right up my alley. J is our go-to sparking and "the Widow's" Grande Dame is awesome.

I am a former tasting room manager in Sonoma County and DW and I love our California reds. We drink a lot of Pinot Noir (Russian River) and Zinfandel (Dry Creek) because we like fish and pasta, and not a lot of steaks and red meat. In less than 30 minutes, we can be in up-valley Napa, or Russian River, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek. Anderson Valley's fine Sauvignon Blancs and earthy Pinots are less than an hour. So, we have lots of experience with the local wines, and we rarely buy imports.

Our favorite Pinots are Williams-Selyem (such a selection of vineyard-designated). And we love just about everything from Forchini, which is a small family-run Dry Creek winery. When we drank Cabs, the old Silver Oak, Beringer, Sequoia Grove, Caymus. And for special occasions, Joseph Phelps Insignia is heavenly.

And in the end, it all boils down to what you like, be it a bottle or a box. Here's hoping that HAL wakes up!

I love vinho verde for a nice summer light wine, and it often can be had fairly cheaply.

Consumer Reports recently did some reviews on an inexpensive summer whites and one on reds...For chardonnays, they recommended a Bogle Chard for $9, a couple store brands (TJs, Kirkland, Whole Foods, Target)...all above a couple chards for about $30.

They recommend Yellow Tail Moscato as a sweet sparkler.

My two favourites are both from New Zealand. The first is Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and the second is an amazing wine, Kim Crawford also a Sauvignon Blanc. Both in the mid to upper teens in price here in Alberta.

Thanks for buying NZ wines, (you don't have to use a corkscrew.):D

Hi:

Thanks, Ned

I was reluctant to respond but since your subsequent post indicated you didn't wish to be rude, well here it is

1) if I was only drinking "swill" for the buzz, I would be doing Tequila shots with my dinner, much quicker

2) I enjoy a glass of wine at other times other than with meals, so it's not only about wine pairing

3) I work hard for a living, make a reasonable income and enjoy travelling, but am in no position to be paying $60, $70 or $80 for a bottle of wine per evening. So does this mean I should have to go without, or should I just discontinue cruising with HAL

My two absolute favourites!!

Thanks for buying NZ wines, (you don't have to use a corkscrew.):D

Love NZ wines, especially the screw caps.:D We asked this at a HAL winetasting: If there is a corkage fee for bottles with corks, what is it called for screwtop bottles? :p

Please add these to your list:

Red - 7 Deadly Zins. - Nice Zinfandel Blend

White - Chenin Blanc -

Beringer is quite good.

Vouvray V Grande Reserve, Loire, France is Wonderful!

All 3 are under $20 a bottle

Thank you

3) I work hard for a living, make a reasonable income and enjoy traveling, but am in no position to be paying $60, $70 or $80 for a bottle of wine per evening. So does this mean I should have to go without, or should I just discontinue cruising with HAL

Well, I am not independently wealthy nor retired, but am choosy about what I drink with dinner and budget accordingly. You are free to drink what YOU like, and unlike many of the cheerleaders on Cruise Critic, I would never advise to go find another cruise line. So, have at it...

Archived