Differences between Oceania and Celebrity

Karynanne

Celeb it a has 2 to 3 times the passenger load, nickel and dime extras everywhere. Caters to kids and adults under 50 for the most part. Constant sales pitches, and hype ..they even charge you to see a movie or cd in your cabin !! Fixed dining, formal nights

Having more passengers also means more potential for more problem passengers. The shows are great but the design of their ships is to please people who don't really like being on a ship with lawns and gardens. People who would love vegas and Orlando rolled into one was my take. The ships are too massive for me... they give me the creeps.

Oceania caters to those over 50 and not family friendly has open seating, no formal nights. outstanding variety in cuisine, no extra charges, rt air, small number of passengers feels like a country club than a resort. Seems to attract a very well traveled, well mannered/considerate more interested in conversation than shows.

Celeb it a has 2 to 3 times the passenger load, nickel and dime extras everywhere. Caters to kids and adults under 50 for the most part. Constant sales pitches, and hype ..they even charge you to see a movie or cd in your cabin !! Fixed dining, formal nights

Having more passengers also means more potential for more problem passengers. The shows are great but the design of their ships is to please people who don't really like being on a ship with lawns and gardens. People who would love vegas and Orlando rolled into one was my take. The ships are too massive for me... they give me the creeps.

Oceania caters to those over 50 and not family friendly has open seating, no formal nights. outstanding variety in cuisine, no extra charges, rt air, small number of passengers feels like a country club than a resort. Seems to attract a very well traveled, well mannered/considerate more interested in conversation than shows.

I'm fully aware that I will be well below the average age of a typical O cruise being in my early 40's. However, with that said, I fit well into the mindset of the older passenger as described by many of the posters. I would like to think that the level of service for us younger middle-aged cruisers won't be overlooked.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

I'm fully aware that I will be well below the average age of a typical O cruise being in my early 40's. However, with that said, I fit well into the mindset of the older passenger as described by many of the posters. I would like to think that the level of service for us younger middle-aged cruisers won't be overlooked.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Not to worry. O treats all passengers extremely well. There are always passengers under 50 aboard, and I've never talked to any of those folks who felt they were being slighted in any way.

Go and enjoy!

Our 40 year old daughter and her significant other who is 46 were on our Alaska cruise with us and they loved it. For them the only down side was not much going on after 10:30, but they survived. The met a couple of other people who were around their age. They were treated excellently by everyone!

He said when the trip was over that this the only vacation he has been on that he wished wouldn't end. I think that speaks loudly.

x also charges for fitness classes (and adds an 18% service charge as well), non alcoholic drinks (i read these are no charge on o).

just to set the record straight

X charges for some fitness classes, not all

O is no different

Edited by pacheco18

just to set the record straight

X charges for some fitness classes, not all

O is no different

Nice to know. Since it is my first cruise with O, I was not aware. I did find it nickel and diming when X and many others started charging for classes, which were below average IMO and conducted by cruise staff. Then to add a service charge on top was really adding insult to injury.

I enjoy a good yoga or pilates class but take these regularly at home. I will stick to the gym on our O cruise.

Edited by caviargal

We are doing a Celebrity Century in December 16 days to Hawaii and as you say..the difference in price is huge for a sky suite and Stu and I have fun whatever we do..

Jancruz1

We loved the Century (except for the beds but that may have changed since 2010). Had all the amenities but never felt crowded and I don't recall standing in any lines. We loved that Hawaii RT from the mainland. I know you will enjoy :)

The Century is the best ship Celeb has because of its size and traditional lay out. You made a good choice , but keep a close watch on your wallet I found it easy to spent and additional cruise fare per person with them.

If you know their game you can not fall for all the little charges.

• 2 months later...

IMO Oceania compares to NCL in as much as there has many restaurants, is total resort casual, and total freestyle. I would say X is more like crystal. Sort of dress up, fixed and reservation dinning, and shows fixed around fixed dinning times.

IMO Oceania compares to NCL in as much as there has many restaurants, is total resort casual, and total freestyle. I would say X is more like crystal. Sort of dress up, fixed and reservation dinning, and shows fixed around fixed dinning times.

Celebrity has Select dining, which you can select, and walk in anytime during dining hours. You can make a reservation but there's no need to.

IMO, Oceania is not in the same universe as NCL nor is Celebrity in the same universe as Crystal. Crystal is a luxury cruise line -- Celebrity a premium cruise line. Oceania is a "luxury lite" cruise line while NCL is main stream.

IMO, Oceania is not in the same universe as NCL nor is Celebrity in the same universe as Crystal. Crystal is a luxury cruise line -- Celebrity a premium cruise line. Oceania is a "luxury lite" cruise line while NCL is main stream.

I know how the lines are classed, however I was referring to the style of the service provided on the ship. The OP was trying to see a comparison of Oceania to a mass market line. To those who like to downgrade NCL, have you ever traveled in one of there Haven rooms?

The ONLY way Oceania compares to NCL is that they are both cruise lines. That is where the similarities end :D

• 3 weeks later...