Interesting article on Southwest

klfrodo

Interesting....We booked a couple of seats a couple of weeks ago. ((Not on SW) When we did, it said "3 seats left at this price". I just wanted to see if fares went up or down (they didn't) but today, for the price we paid, it still said "3 seats left at this price". Shouldn't it have been "one" as we got two of them?

Interesting....We booked a couple of seats a couple of weeks ago. ((Not on SW) When we did, it said "3 seats left at this price". I just wanted to see if fares went up or down (they didn't) but today, for the price we paid, it still said "3 seats left at this price". Shouldn't it have been "one" as we got two of them?

You bought a couple of weeks ago and re-checked today? Sounds like the airline revenue/yield management decided to add some more seats at the price you paid. Guess maybe they thought they weren't selling well enough over the past few weeks.

We had something interesting happen to us with Southwest. I had found some good prices on Southwest for a trip to Las Vegas. Because my husband is very tall we paid extra for Early Bird Check-in in order to get, hopefully, exit row seats. When we printed our boarding passes we were "A 58 & 59". I mentioned to the ticket agent that I thought it was unusual for our number to be so high. She said they do "Early Bird" according to the price you pay for the ticket. Just a heads up.

We had something interesting happen to us with Southwest. I had found some good prices on Southwest for a trip to Las Vegas. Because my husband is very tall we paid extra for Early Bird Check-in in order to get, hopefully, exit row seats. When we printed our boarding passes we were "A 58 & 59". I mentioned to the ticket agent that I thought it was unusual for our number to be so high. She said they do "Early Bird" according to the price you pay for the ticket. Just a heads up.

Never heard that. I was under the impression it was based on when you purchased early bird (which isn't always when you purchased your ticket).

When we printed our boarding passes we were "A 58 & 59". I mentioned to the ticket agent that I thought it was unusual for our number to be so high. She said they do "Early Bird" according to the price you pay for the ticket. Just a heads up.

She was only partially correct. Those with Anytime Fares (basically full fare tickets) get checked in first. Then it goes by the time you purchase early bird.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=earlybird_checkin

There have been reports that some with early bird check in have even had "B" boarding passes. The more who use it, the less likely one is to get a better boarding number.

She was only partially correct. Those with Anytime Fares (basically full fare tickets) get checked in first. Then it goes by the time you purchase early bird.

http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=earlybird_checkin

There have been reports that some with early bird check in have even had "B" boarding passes. The more who use it, the less likely one is to get a better boarding number.

I fly with SW about 4-5 times per year and only once reveived the B group when I had purchased the EB. This was on our return flight from FLL to Indy last April. It was right after Easter and on a Saturday which is a busy port day for cruise ships, hence a busy flight day, so totally agree that it may just depend on how many have purchased this option. Our family of 4 received B 13-16.

In most cases though, we (I) usually end up in the A group. I just returned from Tampa a few days ago and ended up with A-20 which is pretty darn good.

***** A little off topic, but there was a family with small children, Mom, Dad and 2 little ones that did not purchase the EB and thought that they would be boarding right after the handicapped and special needs guests. Mom & Dad had a meltdown when they realized that they would not be able to board until after the A group. They had wanted bulk

head seating. It was quite a loud scene with the Dad shouting at the helpless boarding agent. I belive that at one point, family boarding with small children used to go before A group but it is not the case now and they were not aware of the change. It made for a bit of pre-flight drama for sure.

I see lots of airline Web sites with "Only X sets left at this price!" and don't take it as an exact number. And, as noted, this can change over time.

Re the family with kids: let's face it, people will insist on "rights" (and privileges) most when it benefits them. I've seen posts here of entire families (including several adults) wanting to board early because they have children or someone needing assistance. Also people who feel an airline should do whatever it takes-- even moving other people-- to keep their family seated together, even if, like with Southwest, there aren't pre-assigned seats.

I've seen people who seem to walk perfectly well board early, with various airlines, when the gate agent says anyone needing assistance or extra time to board (hell, I'm out of shape so could walk slower). Just like people use handicap stickers on cars to get special spaces in parking lots when they don't need them (including when the card was issued for a relative).

Yes, those with "Wanna Get Away" fares, even with Early Bird, board after those with "Business Select" or "Anytime" fares. Business Select, of course, doesn't mean bigger seats, just more flexibility in cancellations, earlier boarding, and such. Highest boarding number I've had with EB was in the high 40s. Lowest I've had was in the mid-20s.

Archived