When do you pay for excursions?

MtnBikerFallDown

OK, forgive me if this has been asked a million times before, but I tried searching and didn't find an answer.

I've reserved 2 excursions, and from what I can gather on the personalizer, you won't be charged for these until you are on the ship and it goes on your onboard account. Am I correct in that? The wording is a little fuzzy and I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't suddenly have charges hit my debit at some random time!

Thanks so much!

OK, forgive me if this has been asked a million times before, but I tried searching and didn't find an answer.

I've reserved 2 excursions, and from what I can gather on the personalizer, you won't be charged for these until you are on the ship and it goes on your onboard account. Am I correct in that? The wording is a little fuzzy and I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't suddenly have charges hit my debit at some random time!

Thanks so much!

The charges will go on your on board account. You will have a time frame, such as 24hours, before an excursion to cancel and the amount will be refunded to your on board account. Check the daily Patter (newsletter) for the exact date you must cancel for a refund.

Thanks so much!

The charges will go on your on board account. You will have a time frame, such as 24hours, before an excursion to cancel and the amount will be refunded to your on board account. Check the daily Patter (newsletter) for the exact date you must cancel for a refund.

One of several things that I really appreciate about Princess.

I love it when I actually understand something correctly. :D

Thanks so much for your reply! That helps a lot!

Your tour tickets will be delivered to your cabin when you board or shortly afterward. The tickets will include the meeting time and place for the tour. I've found that the meeting time is usually the latest you should be there as often, tours leave earlier.

If you choose not to take the tour or change your mind and want to take another one, you don't have to wait until the Shore Excursion Desk opens. There is a big box near the Desk and all you have to do is drop off the tour tickets and/or a tour form before the tour closing time. Tours generally close 24-48 hours before the tour. There will be notices in the Patter with the tour closing times. The Patter will also have any updated tour meeting time if that's changed. You don't actually pay for tours until the end of the cruise.

We just back from our Princess Black Sea cruise and the excursion tickets for our entire cruise were in an envelope in our room when we boarded. Included in the envelope was a list of all the excursions for this cruise and the date and time by which they had to be cancelled if you wanted a refund.

We did, in fact, cancel one of the excursions we had booked and it was easy-peasy. Only the excursions we took showed up on the final accounting and you don't pay for them until the end of the cruise.

On one occasion when I cancelled an excursion the day before I was supposed to go on it, I was told at the excursions desk that I would still be liable for the cost if they were not able to resell it to someone else, and that if that was the case I would have the tour ticket returned to my room so I could still use it if I wanted. It didn't happen, and no charge showed up on my statement for it, so I would assume they were able to resell it.

On one occasion when I cancelled an excursion the day before I was supposed to go on it, I was told at the excursions desk that I would still be liable for the cost if they were not able to resell it to someone else, and that if that was the case I would have the tour ticket returned to my room so I could still use it if I wanted. It didn't happen, and no charge showed up on my statement for it, so I would assume they were able to resell it.

I have never heard of this before; there is nothing about being able to resell in the literature and I've never heard of anybody being told this. I think you had a seriously misinformed desk employee; or worse, running a scam: let you think you might be charged and turn around and sell the tickets off the books and pocket the $$.

I love it when I actually understand something correctly. :D

Thanks so much for your reply! That helps a lot!

Emily .... You understood everything perfectly! :)

Do check the Patter for the exact closing time to cancel! ;)

LuLu

~~~~

I have never heard of this before; there is nothing about being able to resell in the literature and I've never heard of anybody being told this. I think you had a seriously misinformed desk employee; or worse, running a scam: let you think you might be charged and turn around and sell the tickets off the books and pocket the $$.

I had the exact same thing happen - they offered to try to resell the tickets... unfortunately, they didn't sell and I got charged. But a generous offer from Princess, I thought.

And no... I don't think it's any kind of "scam".... besides - how could anyone make money if the original person was not charged for the tickets??

Just wondering if this happened to have been a Bungalow on Princess Cays?

LuLu

~~~~

My only question would be, how can you be sure they didn't sell under the table?

That's not what your initial response was... The original person stated that he/she was not charged for the tour. Even if they resold the ticket, how could they 'pocket' the money?? Tour company has to be paid!!

My case.... entirely different since I was charged, and they still could have resold the tickets.... However, the tour company would have known that 2 people were missing.

Neither have I, and I've certainly cancelled excursions from time to time.

Neither have I, and I've certainly cancelled excursions from time to time.

While 98% of all excursions I have seen or booked have a 24 hours cancellation period, I have seen a few excursions that are marked that they can't be cancelled or the cancellation period is well over the usual 24 hours - something like 4 weeks out. One I remember in particular was involving a private car and driver. Can't remember any of the others, but they were excursions with a very small number of participants.

One cruise we were on had one particular excursion with a 36 hour cancellation period, also.

On one occasion when I cancelled an excursion the day before I was supposed to go on it, I was told at the excursions desk that I would still be liable for the cost if they were not able to resell it to someone else.

I would suspect the you cancelled the excursion after the deadline for doing so.

Cancel before the deadline and there is no charge.

Cancel after the deadline and there will be a charge unless the tickets can be sold to someone else.

Your tour tickets will be delivered to your cabin when you board or shortly afterward. The tickets will include the meeting time and place for the tour. I've found that the meeting time is usually the latest you should be there as often, tours leave earlier.

If you choose not to take the tour or change your mind and want to take another one, you don't have to wait until the Shore Excursion Desk opens. There is a big box near the Desk and all you have to do is drop off the tour tickets and/or a tour form before the tour closing time. Tours generally close 24-48 hours before the tour. There will be notices in the Patter with the tour closing times. The Patter will also have any updated tour meeting time if that's changed. You don't actually pay for tours until the end of the cruise.

So, if I want to cancel a tour that leaves the very next morning after we embark, I need to cancel before I even get on the ship?

So, if I want to cancel a tour that leaves the very next morning after we embark, I need to cancel before I even get on the ship?

No, but the posted cancellation deadline will be early in the evening on embarkation day, possibly as early as 5 PM.

Thanks to the OP, as we too, were a little uncertain. In fact, I just called Princess yesterday to clarify, but good to hear that it really does work that way. You know how misinformed we have been on occasion when we call Princess. :confused:

Archived