Waiter and Chef parade in Blu on last Formal (or Semi-Formal) Night

helpthejuggler

Count me in the camp that finds it tacky and something I would expect to see on Carnival, not Celebrity and certainly not Blu. It seems humiliating for the staff and they work hard enough as is to not have to do this charade. Saw this once and that was enough; since that time I try to exit the MDR if I am dining there on the night where this happens. Last couple of cruises I have been either in Blu or mainly in specialties, so have managed to avoid.

Please, please, Celebrity if you read these boards don't start introducing this in Blu.

Here are my reasons;

How would it work when seating is open?

Which Blu guests are you aiming to please? Isn't Blu marketed as ' refined, peaceful, exclusive ' etc ?

Most of the staff find it embarrassing, you can tell by their faces and they are already busy enough IMHO.

And most importantly........It gives some guests the impression they have thanked the staff by shouting and waving napkins! Lets stick to using inside voices and manners.

Please, please, Celebrity if you read these boards don't start introducing this in Blu.

Here are my reasons;

Which Blu guests are you aiming to please? Isn't Blu marketed as ' refined, peaceful, exclusive ' etc ?

Most of the staff find it embarrassing, you can tell by their faces and they are already busy enough IMHO.

And most importantly........It gives some guests the impression they have thanked the staff by shouting and waving napkins! Lets stick to using inside voices and manners.

Well said!

Here are my reasons;

....and tips - of course that is the best way to show appreciation!

I agree not to add it to Blu for the reasons mentioned that apply specifically to that venue.

But another point of view on the MDR. When I look back on my 25+ years of cruising one of my fondest memories is thinking about my mother-in-law and her two sisters sitting in the dining room the next to last day and twirling their napkins over their heads laughing and having a great time. The strains of Auld Lang Syne (which they have now discontinued to my chagrin) bringing a tear to one's eyes as you sit there with family and wonder how many more times you would be able to do that.

My dear mother-in-law is now gone, and my two aunts are too frail to travel. I only wish I were in that dining room enjoying the big parade with them. I love the quiet elegance of Celebrity but sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone for a little while and don't be afraid to let your hair down. This is really a harmless, fun way to do that without adding a lot of 'Carnival' to your cruise and I for one would hate to see it gone. If this thread is any indication I may be in the minority, but so be it.

An old tradition that has seen it's time pass.

Yuppers! Totally agree! Just like all those people who think this is still the beginning of the LAST century, and think everyone should have to get all dressed up in fancy clothes just to go eat dinner! :rolleyes:

Funny, I don't care on way or the other about the parade in the MDR, but wouldn't miss it at all if it went away. It's that dreadful napkin twirling :eek: that is absolutely vile! Appropriate for a sporting event if you must, I suppose, but what's the relationship with a nice dinner?

I'm tempted to pre-load my napkin with peas, and then release at the appropriate moment...oh, wait, I'm not twelve, and this isn't a junior high cafeteria.

So in summation, keep yer darned napkin' twirlin' and gang man dancin' parade outta' Blu!:cool:

Andrew (;) )

Does that mean "the other way" is the off way?

From the words of yer post, it sounds to me like you might be one these young bucks who just wants to cause trouble whenever you don't like somethin.

Yuppers! Totally agree! Just like all those people who think this is still the beginning of the LAST century' date=' and think everyone should have to get all dressed up in fancy clothes just to go eat dinner! :rolleyes:

Does that mean "the other way" is the [u']off[/u] way?

From the words of yer post, it sounds to me like you might be one these young bucks who just wants to cause trouble whenever you don't like somethin.

Nope. A 50-something curmudgeon-in-training!:D

(Who can't type that well in his phone...)

I, too , remember the days of the flaming Baked Alaska parade, and, as a child, loved it. I liked Auld Lang Syne, but really liked it when the music reflected the cruise line- Greek music on a Greek ship, Italian music on the Old Italian line ships...Arrividerci, Roma was a fave on a crossing. But modern music? Not so special.:(

But I'll live...:)

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I agree not to add it to Blu for the reasons mentioned that apply specifically to that venue.

But another point of view on the MDR. When I look back on my 25+ years of cruising one of my fondest memories is thinking about my mother-in-law and her two sisters sitting in the dining room the next to last day and twirling their napkins over their heads laughing and having a great time. The strains of Auld Lang Syne (which they have now discontinued to my chagrin) bringing a tear to one's eyes as you sit there with family and wonder how many more times you would be able to do that.

My dear mother-in-law is now gone, and my two aunts are too frail to travel. I only wish I were in that dining room enjoying the big parade with them. I love the quiet elegance of Celebrity but sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone for a little while and don't be afraid to let your hair down. This is really a harmless, fun way to do that without adding a lot of 'Carnival' to your cruise and I for one would hate to see it gone. If this thread is any indication I may be in the minority, but so be it.

Thank you for sharing this moving story, you and I are simpatico! I actually teared up. Time passages, lives lost, even memories fade (thank goodness for photos, I'm at the point if I don't have a photo of something, it never actually happened, if my memory were the touchstone!)........all the best to you and enjoy your next adventure on Celebrity, in Blu - I guess withOUT the parade, or in the MDR, WITH!

Archived