Any tips on staying on the ship as long as possible the last day?

hova

We are sailing the Conquest on th 18th, and when we return to NOLA we will just be taking a taxi to a downtown hotel. As it will be much too early to check into the hotel, we may as well stay on the ship as long as possible. So...just a couple questions....

Should I put my luggage outside my door the night before, or keep it with me?

Do I ignore the calls for particular zones or decks to disembark?

Where do we hang out? Our room or do we go to a certain area?

How will I know that it is time for me to leave the ship? Do they have a final announcement for everyone to leave?

hova

We stayed as long as we could last November, which was like 10:30. Just hang inside, eat some food, then head to the Lido Deck. We stayed until there were only a few people left.

As far as luggage goes, do what you would normally do. We put out ours the night before, no problem. Actually, it was easier to find it when there's only a few people left to claim.

We are sailing the Conquest on th 18th, and when we return to NOLA we will just be taking a taxi to a downtown hotel. As it will be much too early to check into the hotel, we may as well stay on the ship as long as possible. So...just a couple questions....

How will I know that it is time for me to leave the ship? Do they have a final announcement for everyone to leave?

hova

The ship on the last day is very different. You have to be out of your cabin by 8:00 and there are no services open. Breakfast is only served until 9:00 AM or so. They will have you disembark by about 10:00 AM at the latest.

I would just go to the hotel, have them hold your luggage and ask for ideas on what to do until your room is ready.

We just got off the NCL Pearl on Sunday, and I told my DH, everyone looks so grumpy and sad. It is a very different vibe on the day the cruise is over.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

We've been on the Conquest several times. 10:00 should be about the latest, think we stayed till 9:30 one time. Put you stuff out the night before. It's very easy to locate your bags because almost all of the baggage is gone by then.

Most likely the hotel will hold your luggage. There is plenty to do in New Orleans to keep you busy.

Just remember the staff needs time to prepare for the next cruisers.

We usually try to stay on as long as possible, too. Usually because our flight doesn't leave until early afternoon and I would rather wait on the ship than at the airport.

You can do whatever you want with your luggage - put it out or keep it with you. It doesn't matter.

Yes, ignore the call for certain decks or zones.

We make sure we're out of the room on time (8:30 last cruise) and head to the Lido deck for breakfast. After breakfast, we find a spot outside and just hang out and enjoy the views. You can tell when most people are off the boat and then they make a last call. Last month on the Glory they said, "there are only about 50 of you left on board and we know where you are"! They said it in a joking way, but we thought we should leave then.

Also, remember that your hotel room may be available even though it's early. You never know! When we debarked in Boston on 4th of July I did not think our room would be ready, but it was!

hova

Most cruises we have waited for the CD to yell, "Will the last 100 of you PLEASE get off the ship!"

We wait in a public area. Lido, Promenade etc. When the Paradsie was in Long Beach debarking was always seems to be a disaster. We liked to watch the Atrium crowd from the levels above.

When they make more than one announcement of all zones, all decks, all passengers please proceed to the exit. They typically don't say final call or get off the ship.

However, they CANNOT clear the B2B passengers or the crew off the ship until you are off. Crew members that are ending their contract must wait until all passengers are off. Crew who might have a very small window of time off the ship for errands or appointments can not get off until you are off. Incoming passengers then can not start until the crew is cleared.

Once you hear all decks, get off ..

With debarkation procedures as they are you should have no worry. Our last cruise on Carnival we just walked down when we were ready. Nobody really checked anything. They were happy to get people off the ship. We had an early checkout because we took our own bags, but chose to wait and have breakfast and relax a bit. We stayed at a hotel and we just called them and they came and picked us up when we were ready.

Remember how excited you were to start your vacation and board the ship? Please don't delay leaving!

There a alot of people that are excited and waiting to board, be considerate to your fellow cruisers.

In a city like news Orleans there is so much to do. Drop your luggage at the hotel and head to

Cafe Du mond for beignets, and coffee, take advantage of the less crowded streets to get great photos of Jackson Square, and so on.

Remember how excited you were to start your vacation and board the ship? Please don't delay leaving!

There a alot of people that are excited and waiting to board, be considerate to your fellow cruisers.

In a city like news Orleans there is so much to do. Drop your luggage at the hotel and head to

Cafe Du mond for beignets, and coffee, take advantage of the less crowded streets to get great photos of Jackson Square, and so on.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :cool:

Well said!

This is exactly what I was going to say! All of it! LOL

We have always put our luggage out the night before. We had always been off the ship by 9 am. A couple years ago we booked a last minute deal and my husband had to put in some work while we were on the trip. He had to schedule a conference call for the morning we were to debark and he asked that it be scheduled for 10:30, thinking that would give him plenty of time to get our luggage to our car and start the conference call in the car. Of course that trip there was some kind of hold up and at 10:30we were nowhere near having our number called to leave. He had to take the conference call while still on the ship. He left me sitting with our carry-on luggage and wandered off to find a quiet spot to complete his conference call. Of course during that time our number was called. I sat waiting, and waiting. It got to the point that they were calling our names to debark and there was still no sign of him. I finally left the Lido deck and went down to guest services and explained that I was waiting for him and that he had to complete a conference call. They went ahead and "dinged" me out and called for him and announced that his party was waiting in the lobby. I felt bad that we were so late debarking, but they were still calling for others as we walked the gangway.

Ever since then we have just got off the boat as soon as we are called.

I concur!!!!

I think we got off the Fantasy in Charleston, S.C. around 9:00-9:30 a.m. on debark day - had one last breakfast on board and ITA with the others that the vibe is different and kind of makes you want to get off - it's a downer!

We stayed at the Aloft hotel the night prior to leaving for the cruise that provided a shuttle to/from the port, but we also planned to stay at the same hotel for one more night after the cruise. We arrived at the hotel no later than 10:30 a.m. and they let us check into our room, I was pleasantly surprised, so you never know.

This!

(Plus -- it's really no fun on the ship then -- very limited places to hang out, and all are super-crowded; and crew members are kind of stressed.)

Exactly what I was thinking, NOLA is a great town to explore. However, as long as you get out of your cabin and hang in public area, you should be fine.

We send our luggage out the night before. Leave our cabin by 8:00 and go to either dining room or lido for breakfast. Then we hang out on lido until final call. Love those last couple hours relaxing!

thanks everyone for your comments.... looks like we have a plan. I really don't like lineups and crowds, so I will let the majority of people debark, and then casually leave and take a taxi to the hotel.

hova

• 2 months later...

We will also be disembarking the Conquest in NOLA, but we are not staying at a hotel, we have an early evening flight out of town. And we will have bags (one large, two small, all on wheels). Any advice on how to occupy ourselves before we catch our flight between about 10 AM and say 3 PM?

If we get to the airport by by about 3:30 PM, we will be fine. I'd love to do some wandering around town, but with luggage in tow, it's not as easy. Insights appreciated!

We will also be disembarking the Conquest in NOLA, but we are not staying at a hotel, we have an early evening flight out of town. And we will have bags (one large, two small, all on wheels). Any advice on how to occupy ourselves before we catch our flight between about 10 AM and say 3 PM?

If we get to the airport by by about 3:30 PM, we will be fine. I'd love to do some wandering around town, but with luggage in tow, it's not as easy. Insights appreciated!

Use Luggage Express, if available. Or you can look into an excursion or tour.

Archived