Oceania with Kids

orgutierrez

Hello, I have look at some sites for a quote for an Oceania Cruise on the Marina, and, it is shown to me like my 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter, don't pay, does that happen always in Oceania?

Do you think Oceania would be too boring for our kids? They're used to sail Celebrity and HAL.

Thanks.

I like kids and used to teach them!

Short answer is yes, your children will probably be bored on an O cruise if they are used to having entertainment on board to amuse them. If they are content with the excitement of going ashore and having quiet time when they return then they should be ok.

Hello, I have look at some sites for a quote for an Oceania Cruise on the Marina, and, it is shown to me like my 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter, don't pay, does that happen always in Oceania?

Do you think Oceania would be too boring for our kids? They're used to sail Celebrity and HAL.

Thanks.

Since there will be very few, if any other kids, the answer is yes.

Use the search function at the top of the page for "children on O ships"

and you'll see comments. Many cruise with Oceania because of the great food, NO children and almost NO smoking.

We will more than likely be taking 2 kids on Oceania next Summer.

They do pay a nominal extra fare per child, as 3rd and 4th guest in cabin.

Also, I believe to sleep 4, you must start at the PH level for a cabin...at least that is what I found on "R" ships.

Further, the 3rd and 4th guest are not part of the included airfare; that will also be an additional charge.

We will more than likely be taking 2 kids on Oceania next Summer.

They do pay a nominal extra fare per child, as 3rd and 4th guest in cabin.

Also, I believe to sleep 4, you must start at the PH level for a cabin...at least that is what I found on "R" ships.

Further, the 3rd and 4th guest are not part of the included airfare; that will also be an additional charge.

If you are planning to go four in a room, I believe that you will have to stick with one of the R Ships. As I read the deck plans, Marina and Riviera don't have any cabins that sleep more than three.

Please read many of the threads regarding children on Oceania. There are many better choices for the children than O and many adults will appreciate it. I may get a lot of flak for being honest, but O is a better adult choice. The pools are very small, adults like to use them, too, and there is no entertainment for them.

Please read many of the threads regarding children on Oceania. There are many better choices for the children than O and many adults will appreciate it. I may get a lot of flak for being honest, but O is a better adult choice. The pools are very small, adults like to use them, too, and there is no entertainment for them.

I agree -- bring on the flaming

There are many threads on this issue if you do a search

O ships are not child friendly in the sense that there are no activities at all for children (except on a handful of Alaska cruises) and that most O cruisers favor O because there will likely NOT be children on board. Yes - there are folks who prefer to vacation away from children if possible. One poster a while back called it "selfish" to take kids on O. Not sure I would go that far but it's not entirely an unfair statement.

It certainly does not mean that your children will be treated badly by anyone on the O staff - even if some fellow cruisers do not find them adorable or ooh and ahh over them -- or even move away from them if they are less than perfectly behaved. If you are considering a holiday cruise (eg Christmas or Spring Break) you might find more children on board so a cruise during that time might be more "palatable" but not IMO a great choice. If your kids are accustomed to being involved in kid-oriented activities, and having kid -friendly venues --there will not be any. I do not think any kids on O have the fun they have on the mainstream lines that have programs designed for kids.

A number of cruise lines are designed to give young travelers a superb experience. As stated in other posts Oceania is not one of them. I believe your family will most enjoy cruising on the lines you are used to traveling with.

Oceania is not good for children or anyone that needs to be entertained.

Many on board will resent both you and your children as they are taking the cruise to be away from children and families.

The entire ship is geared toward adults and the staff and the ship make no accommodations for children or families

Since it will be like taking the kids to a chess match vs Disneyland.

Celebrity is a far better choice than Oceania or Holland.

Another point to consider if you are sharing a quad cabin is the extra bed is a sofa bed

You may have to get a larger suite or connecting rooms to accommodate you

If your children can entertain themselves Oceania may work but they may not have anyone their age on the same cruise

I take my grandchildren with us lots but I would never bring them on Oceania because a, there in nothing for them to do on the ship, b, they are unwelcome by many of the fellow pass. Go on Celebrity, they have great trips in Europe at half the price and are very family friendly. Many of their rooms will take 4.

Appreciate all the comments, although they may be addressed to the OP...but, we know what we are doing, just wanted to add what we found out when we investigated the trip.

The itinerary we are looking at has no sea days, so that lack of activities will not be an issue. The girls will eat and sleep aboard...we'll be out and about every day. They actually never liked the 'planned' kid stuff on other cruises they have taken... they prefer to be with us.

Many on board will resent both you and your children as they are taking the cruise to be away from children and families.

That's sad.

Not a bother, though. There have been grown-ups that I have not been very fond of, on other cruises. :p

The entire ship is geared toward adults and the staff and the ship make no accommodations for children or families

If this is your attitude towards children on board why don't you hire a private yacht if u want to sail with no children.

Unfortunately your topic as this topic usually does brings the Oceania child haters out of the woodwork.

Bottom line, I have brought both of my grandchildren on Oceania and they absolutely loved it, enjoying every minute of the cruise!

Worldspan

132 cruises strong

In looking over the postings to this thread most seem fact based. Specifically, Oceania has created an adult orientated cruise experience. Other cruise lines cater to families with children. When posters ask about the suitability of O for children they receive responses pointing out the fact of the adult orientation.

I suggest the original poster make their decision based on the facts.

If this is your attitude towards children on board why don't you hire a private yacht if u want to sail with no children.

There's a difference between one's "attitude toward children" and one's "attitude towards an expensive vacation in a confined space." I'm thinking that a lot of O pax (as we will soon be) spent 40+ years in the workforce, raised kids, paid for college and grad school, cars, weddings and so on, and guess what? Just maybe the time has come for some well-deserved peace, quiet, and pampering in an environment that's age- and behavior-appropriate with like-minded people who know how to observe rules, customs, and setting-appropriate manners. When people choose O they are paying a premium for a specific product, and desiring to receive that product/experience isn't selfishness.

Agree that Oceania is not for children but that does not make me a child hater. Not sure if Oceania has a special program for children during the summer and school breaks - some premium and luxury lines do. Crystal, for instance, was running a special for children and definitely have programs for them. If Oceania does not have such a program, it is an indication that they are marketing to adults.

Many of us who prefer sailing without children avoid the summer and school breaks.

Agree that Oceania is not for children but that does not make me a child hater. Not sure if Oceania has a special program for children during the summer and school breaks - some premium and luxury lines do. Crystal, for instance, was running a special for children and definitely have programs for them. If Oceania does not have such a program, it is an indication that they are marketing to adults.

Many of us who prefer sailing without children avoid the summer and school breaks.

I disagree, why would you want to discriminate children if they are allowed by the cruise company to travel on board their cruise ship if you can afford to take your child and the cruise line allow it.

There are cruise ships on the market that are adults only like the P&O Arcadia so if its your wish not to travel with children then why not choose that or a similar cruise ship offering adults only cruising.

I will be sailing on Marina this sat 10th Aug and it will not bother me if there are 100 children on board as they have as much right as I have. The colour of their money is as good as mine.

Unfortunately your topic as this topic usually does brings the Oceania child haters out of the woodwork.

I think you use Google or search within Cruise Critic in order to find every single instance of someone mentioning children onboard cruise lines that have traditionally been adult-oriented and when you read, to no surprise, that the majority of responders wish to enjoy an adult vacation geared towards adults say that children are not appropriate you bring out your tiresome "child hater" label. You were just over in one of the luxury lines labeling those of us responders who don't agree with you as "child haters".

I love being around children in a normal everyday environment, enjoy teaching them activities, etc. but I do not want to spend vacations with them, especially not on a cruise ship where they tend to gather in groups in prime spaces (the pool is usually where they meet up, even if they don't intend to swim) if they are a bit older, or others who tend to run and jump and bump into people or get into mischief in the hallways.

I am not a child hater, and your labeling of those of us who want an adult vacation as child haters is not only wrong but inflammatory and does not further your cause whatsoever.

There are cruise ships on the market that are adults only like the P&O Arcadia so if its your wish not to travel with children then why not choose that or a similar cruise ship offering adults only cruising.

With all due respect, you cannot compare the 4-star, mainstream P&O Arcadia in class or size or itineraries with Oceania. Arcadia carries 2,388 pax (double capacity) with a crew of only 880, has assigned seating, probably has a dress code, and from pictures, it appears to be a Vista Class ship such as Zuiderdam, Noordam, Westerdam, etc. We don't enjoy that class of ship at all, and furthermore, the vast majority of cruises are round trip UK and use British currency onboard.

If Oceania designated a ship adults only we'd love it, but P&O Arcadia is not an attractive alternative with the sole exception of being adults only.

The OP asked if their children would be board, now it is down to not liking children, being a child hater. As I said Oceania is not set up for kids however I do not think they hate them, in fact I read FDR took his grandchildren on his last trip.

I used to own one, but that is not my point.

There are times and places when adults seek out other adults without children. I raised my kids years ago but would not take them, out of respect for others and them, to purely adult environments.

I choose Oceana on the basis that I will not run into kids... as many do.

What is wrong with that?

Of, all the hundreds of ships that devote much of the ship to families , Why would they choose the only line to discourage families? Seems like a lady trying to join a long running traditional mens club or a girl insisting on being a boy scout... to make a point or what; A sense of entitlement ?

What P&O offers is not near the caliber of the cruise I seek totally a different product.

From the FAQ section on the Oceania website. Doesn't sound very warm and fuzzy!

Q. Can I bring children under the age of 18?

A: Infants must be one year of age as of the first day of the cruise. Guests traveling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from Oceania Cruises to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or any accompanying guests. Any guest under the age of 18 must be accompanied by and occupy the same stateroom as an adult 18 years or older. Oceania Cruises does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children.

Archived