Driving around

Hi All

How hard is it to rent a car and drive around the city and the Blue Mountains.etc.....

Depends whether you mind driving on the other side of the road.

In the city I would prefer public transport with no parking and toll road worries.:(

I am assuming you mean in Sydney. You can drive around the centre of the city but parking is very difficult and very expensive. Sydney has an excellent rail network and combined with ferries you can see a lot.

To see the Blue Mountains and areas outside Sydney, a hire care would be excellent. The car rental offices won't be in the middle of the city so it would be fairly easy. If you are used to city driving and don't mind driving on the left-hand side of the road, you should be OK.

If you are really comfortable with driving in foriegn countries (differing road rules and navigation issues) then would hire a car from the airport on your arrival and stay at a nice hotel outside the Sydney CBD but not too far (perhaps Surrey hills/Central/Redfern area). One that is located near the rail system for easy access into the city and has parking available. That way you can drive to the blue mountains and tour around, as well as not needing the car in the CBD.:D

Hi All

How hard is it to rent a car and drive around the city and the Blue Mountains.etc.....

Wow, that is a very broad question. I could answer by asking an Aussie how hard is it to drive around New York?

Are you familiar with driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

Car rental is probably easiest done from the airport although there are some agencies close to the city. We assume you are referring to Sydney.

Car drivers around Sydney are generally very impatient and the saying goes "he who hesitates, loses". The drive out to the Blue Mountains is relatively easy if you stick to the Motorways getting out of the city via the Harbour Bridge but of course that is the least interesting drive.

The circle drive through Richmond/Bilpin/Bell/Mt Victoria/Blackheath/Katoomba etc is much more interesting.

The roads in the Blue Mountains are mostly single with some double lanes and an average speed limit of 80 KPH. Highway speeds are mostly 100 KPH (60mph) and some 110KPH max speeds on the motorways.

Hugh

For my 10 cents worth - driving in central Sydney (CBD) is a total nightmare even to a NZ Couple (whose DH is a professional driver)!!!!!

We hired from the airport, drove to Canberra for 5 days and back to Sydney to stay overnight before joining the cruise. All went well, until we tried to return the car to the rental company after dropping our bags off at the hotel. It was nearly divorce material, and it was quicker to walk back to the hotel once we eventually dropped the car off!:o

I agree with MargoK driving in Sydney is a nightmare.

It terrifies me and I don't have to adjust to driving on the other side of the road or different road rules .

We live north of Sydney and when we have to go to cruise terminal for our upcoming trip in October we will be getting the train the day before and stay overnight in a motel in preference to getting a hire car to drive to the cruise ship terminal on the day of our departure.

You can always get around Sydney on Trains ,ferries and buses and you can pick up a coach tour to the Blue Mountains.

I agree with MargoK driving in Sydney is a nightmare.

It terrifies me and I don't have to adjust to driving on the other side of the road or different road rules .

We live north of Sydney and when we have to go to cruise terminal for our upcoming trip in October we will be getting the train the day before and stay overnight in a motel in preference to getting a hire car to drive to the cruise ship terminal on the day of our departure.

You can always get around Sydney on Trains ,ferries and buses and you can pick up a coach tour to the Blue Mountains.

This is the best plan for you but the OP would like to get out to the blue mountains. They could get the train to Katoomba and see the three sisters but they wouldn't get to many of the other natural wonders and sights in the area and along the way.:D

Archived