Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Or maybe they were just giving the local mosquitos a heads up as to what would be on the weekly buffet?

On another thread on this SS Board, there is a discussion for what health question the cruise line might be asking, including, maybe in some cases, the blood type, etc.

This above cute, funny comment come from JP. Great insight for us since we are getting ready in ten days to board the Silver Cloud for an adventure ride up and back along the Amazon River. Mosquitos gets "personal" for us in being mentioned since these and other bugs there are supposed to bigger . . . or, as they say . . . AMAZON-sized. Great, humor by JP.

I checked on My Silversea log-in site to see what health questions came to me versus my wife. No pregnancy question for me!! Shockingly correct. Yes, they did ask my wife. But given her mid 60's age, I noted "NO" on her form! If there was any answer of yes, then they did followed up with a question on the number of weeks into the pregnancy.

No blood questions for us. But, I am sure the bugs of the Amazon and Caribbean will be checking the web to see which of us will be the most tasty. We've just stocked up on lots of Deet, etc., to keep them away. The mosquitos will find those on our ship from the UK to be more fun and enjoyable. That's my story and I am sticking to it. We'll pass on those honors.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 92,619 views for this posting.

Busy weekend - everyone else must have been too, as the cooler seems empty...

We were up in Quebec City for the long weekend. We took last Friday off, and had the Monday Holiday for MLK's Birthday. So the driving was not too strenuous.

Fresh off the Paris trip, I was excited to see if I could do a little better with communicating in French. In the past I've had a lot of trouble understanding the Quebecois, because their speech is a little different from the Parisians. But this time, it was better. Very exciting! Able to understand about half of what is said to me, though it still takes me a second to translate in my head.

We drove to Montreal after work on Thursday and spend the night in our favorite boutique hotel there - Hotel Nelligan, right in the Old City near Notre Dame. Our friends from Toronto flew in Friday AM and we drove off to Quebec City together. We've been to Montreal a few times but never as far as QC, so we didn't plan to see much in Montreal this time.

Arrived Friday afternoon, in time to get a great view of the Montmorency Falls, in the last of the afternoon sunshine. It was pretty chilly already, but nothing compared to what was in store for Saturday! Our Antarctic parkas from Silver Explorer sure came in handy this weekend!

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-09.jpg

Friday evening we went out walking - climbed up to the old town, enjoyed the view from the promenades along the cliffs. Lots of snow up here!

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-24.jpg

Our hotel was really great - we stayed at the Auberge Saint-Antoine, right near the dock in the lower town. Petit-Champlain was nearby and the Old Town a short climb upstairs. We had a tasting menu with wines to match on Friday night that was really spectacular.

There was some frigid weather this weekend! Saturday, we awoke to -17F with wind chill down to -39F! The river was still flowing somewhat, but it was steaming! Here's the view from our hotel window.

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-25.jpg

We mixed indoor and outdoor activities for the day - the tour of the Citadel was great but unbelievably cold. I felt bad for the poor guys standing outside of Parliament:

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-39.jpg

Still, the landscape was beautiful - especially from the heated Observatory of the Capital.

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-42.jpg

Saturday we had an early dinner at a local pub and then retreated to our hotel for the night. We stayed up for a few hours, as the hotel has a very cozy fireplace in the main lobby. Lots of wine and good fun with our Canadian friends!

Sunday was a bit warmer, approaching 10 degrees (a positive number) in the morning, then nearly 30 degrees as the day wore on. We walked further today and spent more time outdoors, enjoying the cityscape. We had brought our ice skates so we were able to stop at one of the outdoor rinks, slip them on, and enjoy a leisurely skate - the ice was in pretty good shape after yesterday's deep freeze!

We ended by visiting the Hotel de Glace (Ice Hotel) for a tour. It's a few minutes' drive north of the city. I thought it would be a tourist trap but we ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It's really well-done and worth seeing, even though it's expensive. The rooms are nicely embellished with ice carvings, and many of the suites have interesting themes. We ended up in the bar for a drink, which is served in an ice glass:

2015_01%2520Montreal%2520and%2520QC-88.jpg

We dropped our friends off at the QC airport for their flight home and drove to Montreal for a rest stop Sunday night. Great dinner in the Old Town, then home yesterday morning. The lines at the border crossing were long, but we have Global Entry so we can use the Nexus lanes to re-enter the US. We were through in less than 60 seconds. Awesome!

It's really nice to have a piece of Europe so close to us. Both Montreal and QC give you that feeling of being in France, but we found QC to be more quaint and charming. Too bad it's another 2.5 hours further than Montreal...

Edited by jpalbny

Busy weekend - everyone else must have been too, as the cooler seems empty...

It's really nice to have a piece of Europe so close to us. Both Montreal and QC give you that feeling of being in France, but we found QC to be more quaint and charming. Too bad it's another 2.5 hours further than Montreal...

Appreciate these postings and fun pictures from JP and Jeff. Just back from four days in Charlottesville, Va. (home of Mr. Jefferson, their great university, etc.). Plus, most important, seeing our two cute grandsons, family, etc. Mostly sunny and high's in the 50's. Lots of pictures to share, plus doing all during the upcoming final four days to be packed and ready for our long trip on the Silver Cloud. More later.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,399 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good day all ......

JP, I've always wondered why soneone with a French name isn't more fluid ....:D

I loved your piccies, particularly the snow and the Ice Hotel and oddly I've been spending time with Stacey Kent's albums overnight on our flight. I really urge you to give them a go. Many tracks ... but on the "Breakfast on the morning tram" album two tracks ...... "The Ice Hotel"and ""I Wish I Could Go Travelling Again" and "Breakfast on the Morning Tram" and to help with your French .... "La Saison des Pluies" an old Serge Gainsbourg song. She is a lovely lady with an extraordinary voice and I had the chance to chat with her by chance when we were at the same place during her visit here last year. She has the most unbelievable voice andd sings in English and French and so will help you JP! She use to study at Guldhall which ovelooked our flat in Barbican which she claimed she could see me having a scratch .... I doubt it.

Terrry, good to hear your close to your trip .... you are clearly looking forward to it.

BA had obviously heard we were travelling and decided to give us a brand new 380 and our normal 2k and 3k were more spacioius than both the 777 or the 744. Concorde Room at Heathrow was as bad as normal, and they had a few interesting people in last night including Tracey Emmin with her team of female helpers.

Wifey and me have just returned to the hotel after a wonderful pile of freshly grilled satay in Satay Street. We had satay pepper prawns, beef and duck and chicken and pork satays and a jug of beer. We tried #8 today ... "Best satay" an old established family Singapore stall.

Singapore is as usual hot and humid and wifey and I are knackered after a long day or so of travel.

:)

Terrry, good to hear your close to your trip .... you are clearly looking forward to it. BA had obviously heard we were travelling and decided to give us a brand new 380 and our normal 2k and 3k were more spacioius than both the 777 or the 744. Singapore is as usual hot and humid and wifey and I are knackered after a long day or so of travel.

Glad to know of Jeff's adventure to Singapore. Wonderful for you in flying in a new Airbus 380. Need pictures, especially if you were in those fancy single-digit first class seats. Plus, like to see more for that part of the world. Have not visited there and need to see more visual, food samples.

It's now less than 24 hours till we depart on Delta Air early Saturday am, Columbus to Atlanta to Barbados. Board the ship mid-day on Sunday. Got to print out my boarding passes next. Not yet totally packed, but getting closer, finalizing some work stuff, finishing and taking care of other business, etc. This gets me thinking of and playing this week two of my favorite songs:

"Leaving on a Jet Plane" as written by John Denver and recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary. It went on to become PP&M's biggest hit, #1 on the Billboard charts and one of the ultimate #1 single of the 1960s. It had these great words:

"All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go

But the dawn is breaking, it's early morning

I'm leaving on a jetplane

I don't know when I'll be back again"

But, the good news, I won't be leaving my wife; she'll be along!!

Then, there is the famed song that Frank Sinatra made famous with some of these words:

"Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

It is perfect for a flying honeymoon"

Love that music and the thrill of taking off, looking forward to adventure, etc.

Below are a few fun pictures from our Virginia fun last weekend.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 94,667 views for this posting.

It was super sunny in Virginia last weekend. Got up into the 50'sF in temperature. Made things so much nicer with this sunshine. Here's a leafy holly tree with great berries and texture!:

Jan15AA34_zps7aa3ac94.jpg

It's always fun seeing our two grandsons in Virginia. Here are four of my photo samples from that visit. One is now two and a half years old. The other is four years old (plus about four months). He just started pre-school this week. Wonderful to see their growth and development!! Am today doing enlargements on these pictures in order to have them posted and up in the room/suite during our 26-day cruise adventure.:

Jan15AA32_zps316ad7e1.jpg

Jan15AA31_zps1f6973d7.jpg

Jan15AA33_zps70add0ff.jpg

Jan15AA30_zpsf0ef9f7b.jpg

Hi Terry .... as requested.

No decent pictures of the new 388 F seat, basically the same as the usual seat but more storage and a bigger buddy seat than the 777 or 744 to seat wifey in when I feed her. Concorde room food as bad as normal and I wish someone would straighten the lampshade on the horses head!

I have also included the first "find the cashew" nutcam of the Season. A prize to anyone seeing a bleedin' cashew.

Lovely reception from the hotel. Our normal suite all prepared as we like it. They even bought in some special sauvignon into the lounge just for my stay and not given to other guests. They even had my mini bar set up as I like it and as required I empty it each day ......

Great morning in Botanic Gardens ....

9B1DE316-800B-44D8-B4E0-0360098BB67A.jpg

D2967582-4FD4-49AA-A7D7-04EEEA9EAE3C.jpg

1D35B484-2D16-438F-B385-FF7278921BE8.jpg

D446F208-F075-4467-86B0-3FB1F3C80063.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

Hi Terry .... as requested. No decent pictures of the new 388 F seat, basically the same as the usual seat but more storage and a bigger buddy seat than the 777 or 744 to seat wifey in when I feed her. Concorde room food as bad as normal and I wish someone would straighten the lampshade on the horses head! I have also included the first "find the cashew" nutcam of the Season. A prize to anyone seeing a bleedin' cashew.

Appreciate Jeff's wonderful pictures and updates. Seeing the food makes me hungry!! Like to see the faces, for your wife, at least. In Atlanta's airport now. All going smoothly. Will board in about a half hour for our 4.5 hour flight to Barbados. Will get lunch on the flight. Always good to be flying and seated in the "single-digit" rows that board first, have more room, etc.

Need to get some airport/airliner pictures here for our two grandsons. They like that kind of "thing"!

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,743 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Safe travels Terry! I know how much you've looked forward to this trip. Glad it's finally here for you.

We'll be connecting through Atlanta too, but not until tomorrow morning. By then you should be enjoying Barbados.

Have a great time!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Enjoy your time aboard Terry. Relax and have fun.

jpalbny: Safe travels Terry! I know how much you've looked forward to this trip. Glad it's finally here for you. We'll be connecting through Atlanta too' date=' but not until tomorrow morning. By then you should be enjoying Barbados. Have a great time! [/quote']

Appreciate these nice comments, especially about "Relax and have fun"!!! Will "work hard" to make sure that I am relaxed and enjoying things. Will do a live/blog once I get on the Silver Cloud. Will have lots of pictures and details on the ship, its condition, staff, etc. Fun doing that "reporting".

For JP, everything was super smooth and easy in Atlanta. It's the world's busiest airport, but we arrived at Concourse E and our Barbados flight went out of this same area. Made things easy and simple.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 94,815 views for this posting.

It is all beginning to happen now! Do hope you have a wonderful time, Terry and Mrs. Terry, and lovely to get piccies from Singapore from Jeff. How wonderful to be able to go on the new plane - we did business to Singapore a few years ago with Singapore, and it was the first time I had managed to get some sleep on a plane apart from getting a full inside row to lie down on going to Rio on Varig (now I am sure defunct).

Jeff - you must have a good reason for spending quite a bit of time in Singapore, apart from the wonderful cheap food. For a tourist a couple of days is enough. I imagine you have family or friends, or business out there? Feel free to say MYOB. My DH went out quite a lot some years ago, for work, and I enjoyed my trips there too, including meeting some family by marriage and his colleagues, but otherwise found it less than exciting after a few days - and hated the humidity. It was sad that they got rid of so much of the old character of the city. Enjoyed Hong Kong more, though no doubt that is now very different since the Brits left. I have just acquired a gorgeous book of the

great luxury railway journeys and love the look of the Bangkok to Singapore one. Anyone done this?

It is pretty cold here, though sunny, so Terry and Jeff have done the right thing going to tropical climes. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Jeff love your food photographs .

We were in Singapore four years ago and loved the street food, Husband had the best Satay ever and we will go back for more!!

It is all beginning to happen now! Do hope you have a wonderful time, Terry and Mrs. Terry, and lovely to get piccies from Singapore from Jeff. How wonderful to be able to go on the new plane - we did business to Singapore a few years ago with Singapore, and it was the first time I had managed to get some sleep on a plane apart from getting a full inside row to lie down on going to Rio on Varig (now I am sure defunct).

Jeff - you must have a good reason for spending quite a bit of time in Singapore, apart from the wonderful cheap food. For a tourist a couple of days is enough. I imagine you have family or friends, or business out there? Feel free to say MYOB. My DH went out quite a lot some years ago, for work, and I enjoyed my trips there too, including meeting some family by marriage and his colleagues, but otherwise found it less than exciting after a few days - and hated the humidity. It was sad that they got rid of so much of the old character of the city. Enjoyed Hong Kong more, though no doubt that is now very different since the Brits left. I have just acquired a gorgeous book of the

great luxury railway journeys and love the look of the Bangkok to Singapore one. Anyone done this?

It is pretty cold here, though sunny, so Terry and Jeff have done the right thing going to tropical climes. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Thanks. To answer ....

I was taking the wife down to Sydney each January for an extended stay simply so we could go for a daily walk. It was -6 yesterday in the garden at my home base .......

6530C203-7953-456E-9300-B06BD7A1665A.png

So we'd take a large suite overlooking Circular Quay get up every morning onto a ferry and go for a long walk. We'd have a stop off in Singapore both ways. More and more we realised that we didn't really like Sydney that much, apart from the ferries and walks. The food was dissapointing and very expensive and service not very good andf we had been extending our stopovers in Singapore for longer and longer.

You have to understand we don't reallt feel we'ree on holiday. We have just relocated home for a while. So whilst there isn't much to keep you excitede in Singapore, we can walk and eat, it's warm and we're really well looked after. The hotel really looks after us and have become friends. We send christmas cards to staff here including a lovely young man with "learning difficulties" and we're proud the hotel gives him a career. Anyway back to topic.

As you know I'm also really intersted in food and learning about it. Singapore is really the place in the world that is genuine fusion food. Malays, Chinese, Inidians all learning from each other and producing what I think ios the finest food in the world. People do not thiunbk twice about taking breaks in Hong Kong or Bangkok but overlook Singapore. It isn't a place for holidaymakers but in my view is a great place for extended "second-home" stays.

I started a thread as a theme for this some years ago on the Singapore forum on Flyertalk headed "Singapore is more than just a stopover ...." if you'd like a bit more.

They have found some lovely sauvignon for me in the lounge last night and are keeping some just for me. Happy bunny.

And today's Nutcam fails to show the elusive cashew .....

Apologies fopr uncxorrected typos ... just off for brekkies ....

1A609E93-8E9E-40DB-AF26-5521CAE632EE.jpg

A9C6F773-1A92-47C1-929C-9D5374867D64.jpg

BBDE57DA-3AE5-48C9-B1EC-873F3157F716.jpg

LOL… I could say something totally not PC

Jeff,

I may have missed this earlier in the thread but which hotel are you in?? Looking for a post "Holiday Cruise" next year. I've booked the Shang Valley pre but I want a change. I am considering the the Four Seasons and stayed there last year, but I'm always shopping for a new place to try. I love to walk around and despite the heat (maybe our humidity here helps) find it a good option for anywhere we go.

You are right there's actually a lot in Singapore that is hiding from the general tourist. We have expat friends there (for 15 years) and it never ceases to amaze what is can be found in different places, especially food in the "suburban" areas and not just the Hawker stalls. It took them a while to find the hidden gems because the majority of the population is so transient.

Hi,

Happy to help.

We only stay in The Intercontinental and prefer one of their four Shophouse Club Garden Suites. It has a small garden which we have them put a small table and a couple of chairs. Afternoon reading spot and a place to watch any passing storm as it is semi-covered. . It's all done in the traditional Peranakan Shop House style and I'd advise ensuring a club access suite or room to give privacy and benefits. The hotel connects to Bugis MRT by an air conditioned shopping mall. Bugis MRT now has a new direct line to Bayfront and Chinatown .... and Downtown is a few yards to Lau Pa Sat and Satay Street. We taxi to Botanic Gardens but if you prefer number 7 is door to door for less than S$1. The staff are lovely.

We're just off to Marina Bay and Gardens by the bay for a wander. It's now on a direct line from Bugis.

And the food around the hotel ......

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

It is all beginning to happen now! Do hope you have a wonderful time, Terry and Mrs. Terry, and lovely to get piccies from Singapore from Jeff. It is pretty cold here, though sunny, so Terry and Jeff have done the right thing going to tropical climes. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Sunny does help, but it is hard to deal with the cold, as Jeff has noted in his posts. What's worse, as we had several days during this past week, is the Midwest grey and cold. Boring and bland. It will be a high of 84F or 28.9C in Barbados during the next couple of days. The low tonight will be 75F or 23.9C. We can deal with those "challenges".

Landed ahead of time in Barbados. Got settled, went to the beach for sunset, had dinner, etc. This is our first time on this island (really for all of the Caribbean). Below are a few visual samples. Getting on the Silver Cloud Sunday afternoon.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 46,659 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

As we walked to the nearby beach, here was colorful flower. Then, here is my beach sunset picture from our first time in Barbados.:

JanBarbadosA1_zpsrztk46ar.jpg

JanBarbadosA2_zpsqxdjdjd6.jpg

Got to have some food??!! Here is the sign for this "local" place nearby to our hotel. Then, these are some of the samples on fish "puppy" pre-dinner dish. Beer? Yes, it's the local brew. Then a fish wrap for dinner. Not as fancy as Jeff's treats, but worked well for us.:

JanBarbadosA6_zpsda8erkvf.jpg

JanBarbadosA3_zpskmlrunpz.jpg

JanBarbadosA4_zpseqcrfnfr.jpg

JanBarbadosA5_zpsewagedrf.jpg

Terry,

So pleased your trip has started ...... our house was named after a house that we use to use in Paynes Bay called Old Trees! It's now a big development.

If you get a chance to go to the fish fry at Oistins Beach .... it's party time .....

As I said really pleased your much anticipated trip has started and you keep your eye on that lovely wife of yours with all those Bajans around ....

Jeff

Many thanks for your reasons for Singapore, Jeff. It sounds as though one of your main ones is that feeling of 'home from home' that your lovely hotel and suite provide. We feel a bit like this when we return to our favourite ships - no need to have to get used to new things. Love the piccies of the Botanic Gardens - and, yes, you are right about there being more different varieties of food around than in other places. We did feel that in Sydney, though, particularly when we spent 4 weeks there in an apartment, self catering mainly from David Jones basement, and also with some lovely restaurants within walking distance, and of course great wine. In those days lots of places were BYO, which made for a cheap evening. One bistro was opposite a wine cellar, so we used to check the menu and then DH popped over for a bottle or two, with something like 50p. charge for opening it and the glasses! I don't think that is so prevalent now, alas.

Not sure if I would regard it as a blessing or not to share the airport lounge with Tracy Emin! One of those celeb/artists I have completely taken against - not very nice of me I admit.

Looking forward to the next lot of food pictures from you and Terry.

LL

Terry, So pleased your trip has started ...... our house was named after a house that we use to use in Paynes Bay called Old Trees! It's now a big development. If you get a chance to go to the fish fry at Oistins Beach .... it's party time ..... As I said really pleased your much anticipated trip has started and you keep your eye on that lovely wife of yours with all those Bajans around .... Jeff

Appreciate Jeff's wonderful tips, suggestions and ideas for Barbados. Glad to know he had a "connection" here. Keep sharing such excellent thoughts and specifics. We'll be back in Barbados for a full day on Feb. 11 as we "change out" some passengers from our first 17-day Amazon River sailing to the B2B remaining nine-day Caribbean cruise highlighted with stops in the Dutch ABC islands, Dominica, St. Barts, etc.

Did a June 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 193,061 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Not sure if I would regard it as a blessing or not to share the airport lounge with Tracy Emin! One of those celeb/artists I have completely taken against - not very nice of me I admit. Looking forward to the next lot of food pictures from you and Terry. LL

Don't worry, LL, about being HONEST!! Everyone is entitled to their opinions. YES, lots more food pictures to be coming from me, especially during our Silver Cloud sailing. I'll do my reporting for the "State of the Food" with Silverseas these days.

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 94,920 views for this posting.

Terry, hope you and your wife are still asleep. That beautiful flower is the bougainvillea and they are so vibrantly gorgeous in those colors. Be careful, they do have thorns. We have them in our yard, and almost, but I say almost, take them for granted. We have green all year long and when I travel to other colder climes, I am always struck by the grey of everything in winter.

Enjoy the day today and begin the unwinding process. The sun will refresh your spirit!