Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Terry, wonderful you are feeding the birds.

Yes, the objective is to feed the birds. BUT, we have savvy, pesky squirrels who also are very, very active and aggressive for enjoying and stealing this bird feed. I have lots of guards and devices to keep the squirrels away, but they out-smart these various devices.

Love the Turkish food visuals. Have lots of great memories from our first cruise in 2006 when we visited the Turkish coast, plus we had two full days at the end in amazing Istanbul.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days, here is the link below to that series of posts on my live/blog. Lots of great visuals from the Amazon and these various Caribbean Islands, etc. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 17,273 views for these postings.

Sorry. I am not a Turk. How do you make that? Looks delish.

Heading outside to the garden.

Thanks for confessing about the muffins Jeff. Not that you couldn't make a single muffin if you chose.

JP are we allowed to ask your specialty?

Terry, wonderful you are feeding the birds.

Oh ... dear ... I don't write stuff down .. so this is it approximately.

It is essentially a folded pizza. The dough has yoghurt and honey and olive oil added and starts with a poolish/biga ie a very lean sourdough.

The meat is lean mince, lamb mixed with blitzed and tea-towel squeezed and very drained and dried onion, garlic, red pepper, vine tomatoes, flat leaf parsley etc. This is mixed with the meat with with sumac, coriander, celery salt, chilli, smoked paprika, pine nuts, white pepper, etc ... what every you choose. The salad is used on top.

Try.

:)

Thanks. I don't write down either, but that gives me a clue. Was not sure what meat was...

Thanks ... I always feel bad because after I hit enter ... I always remember other stuff I added! Food is an adventure not a destination .....:D

We had some over ripe strawberries in the fridge so I've just got some strawberry madeira muffins in the oven. Don't know what they will be like. :)

Terry - this is the only one we've found that actually works. The squirrels are totally stumped even after a few years. It was so funny the first year or two, watching them try to grab on to the perch and they'd get spun around a few times and flung off. The visual alone was worth the price of the feeder - but it seems much more expensive than when we bought it.

Check it out: Yankee Flipper

Jeff - that food does look tasty. Always surprised how much I like the food in the Eastern Med / Middle East. The food we had last October was so good! Still working hard to remove some of its residue from my belly before we go replenish my fat cells with French food!

And that is one impressive burned bubble on the crust - reminds me of all the rock formations in Cappadocia! ;)

My little sisters are much less annoying now that they are somewhat grown up. And now they can protect me - one just ran a marathon yesterday, and the other is a serious amateur boxer!

spinnaker2 - I'm Pulm / CCM trained but I work as a Hospitalist. Once in a while the stuff hits the fan and I have to go at odd hours to bail out the residents... 20 years ago, the sleep deprivation was easier to handle, though. Chris is the breadwinner; she's a radiologist. :)

I remember vaguely someone on TV called the crafty cook - it's not you is it Jeff? You do have some amazing tips about baking etc.

Re Countdown - no doubt of no interest to anyone outside the UK - just thought about the chaps from Pointless - both slightly 'smuggings' but obviously well educated and good at handling competitors.

I remember vaguely someone on TV called the crafty cook - it's not you is it Jeff? You do have some amazing tips about baking etc.

Re Countdown - no doubt of no interest to anyone outside the UK - just thought about the chaps from Pointless - both slightly 'smuggings' but obviously well educated and good at handling competitors.

My wife reminded me of the perfect person for Countdown. David Spikey. He would be perfect. He has been the best person on Countdown and would make a great host. Do you remember "Come and buy your black bin bags in Phoenix nights?

http://www.davespikey.co.uk/

Terry - this is the only one we've found that actually works. The squirrels are totally stumped even after a few years. It was so funny the first year or two, watching them try to grab on to the perch and they'd get spun around a few times and flung off. The visual alone was worth the price of the feeder - but it seems much more expensive than when we bought it.

UKCruiseJeff: Food is an adventure not a destination

Yes' date=' I have seen those [b']Yankee Flipper bird feeders[/b]. BUT, agree with you, that they get kind of pricy. Appreciate the tip. Below are a couple of visuals for how our squirrels are super busy this morning working on my BIRD feeders. These squirrels are not shy or subtle.

Agree for Jeff that "food is an adventure", but, HOWEVER, for my personal interests, I view food as more of the "destination"! Different strokes for varied interests and folks.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 100,429 views for this posting.

Here are two visuals this morning for how our squirrels are busy doing their "cheating" to get their meals from our bird feeders. That one feeders is supposed to be "squirrel protected", but our creatures are too aggressive, brainy and creative for how they use the tree, hangers, etc., to twist and turn to get their treats. Cute squirrel??:

SanJuanA2_zpsisxzg4xw.jpg

SanJuanA3_zpspwgfvuvx.jpg

For "old-times" memory fun from a week ago, here was the roof-top pool at our apartment hotel in the Miramar area of San Juan where we stayed for three days after our cruise. Nice neighborhood location with great views, etc. Need these "warm thoughts" to deal with the cold and snow now facing Central Ohio.:

SanJuanA1_zps0bqpvrnw.jpg

Terry,

It's almost 03:00 here ..... and I wish you hadn't mentioned you were passing through Atlanta a few days back. It really has stuck in my mind.

Atlanta to me is many things. But at 03:00 in the morning here, I cannot get my mind off going up Powers Ferry Road and then past The Big Chicken (a landmark .... I never went into KFC I promise ....) and heading for a place I use to know for ribs and an onion loaf. It was messy eating but England doesn't do onion loaves. I use to go to unnecessary business meetings in Atlanta to get that onion loaf.

At this moment I am very close to heading on down to Heathrow and waiting for the next flight to Atlanta to get my onion loaf.

3982959427_7d50e4dc53_b.jpg

Am I pregnant?

Jeff

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_126142.jpg

Jeff

Are you of the opinion that the accompanying foods to the protein or the main entree must be plated in an odd number? For example, seven small potatoes vs eight...

Or is it random selection?

Ok i am not a fan of green beans or haricot vert.

And no i did not count the beans or the peas on previous presentations.

I am being slightly silly.

I have had enough of the solemnity and tediousness.

And our sliver of a silver box arrived yesterday. It had been delayed in arrival by weather.

The tangible documents make the trip that much closer!

Much to look forward to.

Had already made the reservations for dinner and some excursions.

Still struggling with Tikal decision, and it's not bad to have to make those decisions.

Terry, It's almost 03:00 here ..... and I wish you hadn't mentioned you were passing through Atlanta a few days back. It really has stuck in my mind. Atlanta to me is many things. But at 03:00 in the morning here, I cannot get my mind off going up Powers Ferry Road and then past The Big Chicken (a landmark .... I never went into KFC I promise ....) and heading for a place I use to know for ribs and an onion loaf. It was messy eating but England doesn't do onion loaves. I use to go to unnecessary business meetings in Atlanta to get that onion loaf.

Sorry to have mentioned the phrase "Atlanta" and caused such pain and food suffering for Jeff. Appreciate your added food pictures, especially the wonderful visual of the "Seabass with Dijon Hollandaise". Personally, I super love good sauces, including anything with the term Hollandaise included.

Yes, glad for JP/Chris and our south Florida friend that you have the "official documents" for your upcoming cruise adventures. Look forward to many more details, pictures, etc.

For food and drink, below are a couple of visuals from last night. Our good travel friends/neighbors, Janet and Dennis, just got back from being in the New York City area where their first granddaughter will be born later this month.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 173,260 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From our neighborhood favorite, the Iron Grill BBQ, this was my pick last night of their famed pulled pork sandwich with fries, etc. Love the BBQ sauce on their pork. BUT, the big news was that their seasonal beer options had changed. Starting in March, they are now offering Summer Shandy by a brewery in Wisconsin. That's SUMMER Shandy!!! By Leinenkugel. Love it being early March and that this offering signals that winter is starting to fade and having spring/summer being closer to reality. Below is what that beer and its label looks like. It has a little citrus touch with its flavoring. It's a personal favorite that I doubt you cannot get in the UK. Love having a good "tall one" of this beer from their draft tap at the Iron Grill BBQ when dining outside on their patio. Those "good old days" are getting closer.:

Winter2015A1_zpsppvxxofr.jpg

Winter2015A7_zpsydjweubb.jpg

Just got back home late this morning after a 10 am dental appointment. Fortunately no drilling and/or dire pain. Just a cleaning and x-rays.

But, when approaching my driveway, here was a big herd of our ravine deer roaming around looking for their "dining delights". Tough conditions for these cute deer this winter. With my iPhone, here are a few of the pictures that I captured with parts of our home showing in the background.

Thought that Jeff would also enjoy seeing snow, snow and more snow!!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 100,533 views for this posting.

Here are a few our "neighborhood: deer herd roaming around in our wooded, ravine area with parts of our home showing in the background. Since we have been back from the Amazon/Caribbean, these deer have jumped over our fences, being on our back brick patio, etc. No fear with these deer and their search for food during these challenging cold weather days. Last night on the way to dinner, there was a cute, golden baby fox roaming along the roadway. Plus a large hawk within 12' of our kitchen window. Nature is amazing!!:

Winter2015A2_zpspxf78orx.jpg

Winter2015A4_zpso9wvqo6r.jpg

Winter2015A3_zpst6g81y9d.jpg

Winter2015A6_zpshkqe37b7.jpg

Winter2015A5_zpsrss3ugnc.jpg

Our Uniworld documents arrived today!! Excited to be there in two and a half weeks!

upload_-1.jpg

Looking forward to a break from this nasty weather.

We did that trip (SS Catherine) and loved it. The ship is lovely, although the decor is not to our taste. Food was spectacular, the crew were some of the best we have experienced. We had a problem (nothing to do with Uniworld, ship or cruise) but the cruise director went out of her way to get it sorted. We have not booked another river cruise because as much as we loved it, we are really Ocean people. Have a great time.

Sorry to have mentioned the phrase "Atlanta" and caused such pain and food suffering for Jeff. Appreciate your added food pictures, especially the wonderful visual of the "Seabass with Dijon Hollandaise". Personally, I super love good sauces, including anything with the term Hollandaise included.

Terry,

I have been chatting to your wifey and she has confirmed your love of sorcery and thinks you should make a bit of an effort in the kitchen to master a sauce or two. An important and handsome man like you she says should have more bows to your armoury. Not just the good looks. She says your not saucy enough in the kitchen. I think she may be looking abroad at the moment so if I were you I'd heed this warning. ;)

On another forum I've helped several men learn how to make bread. Without recipes but instead by "feel" and instinct. I'd like to help you with your sorcery. "Sauces maketh a man". I promise you that all this stuff you read that makes it sound tough or difficult is rubbish. It is easy peasy. Even I can do it. Many of your favourite sauces are cousins of Hollandaise. Béarnaise for example.

Imagine you making your lovely wife a nice steak with your own Béarnaise lovingly whipped up. Over the candle light, a little tear comes to her eye "After all this time and all his bleedin' blue fonts and photographs .... he really loves me " she says ....

If you are up for a bit of sauce mastery I am happy to help. You must make one before you go to the great Photoshop in the sky.

Last night was some smokey streaky bacon and egg with gruyere toasties ....

D8BD652F-BD12-4102-ABED-1FA9D5436207.jpg