Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

I guess I might bore you with a picture of a punch or nut or schnitzel or two much to the upset of some I'm sure......;)

:)

And please don't post a photo of one of their gross hot dogs mit senf. Those wieners are disgusting(IMHO). For me there's nothing wurst.

By all means share a piccy of a schnitzel - but it must be from Figlmullers

- they are awesome.

Will you be making time to visit a Heuriger at Grinzing? Do take the tram from Vienna - the ride back down is exhilerating. Unless you have over indulged on the pig knuckle and mugs of wine. Ah, it's all coming back to me now. Great song Celine

Edited by MARIANH

Wow, how do you keep up with all your travels? ;)

Yes, I have a 'proper' Jeff too.

You're right, we do have a long way to travel to get anywhere. Usually we go overseas once or twice a year and fortunately travel Business Class but don't get much sleep on the plane. (Makes the cost of a cruise even more expensive when you add in airfare.)

Do hope you post photos from your upcoming journeys.

Safe travels home.

Karin

V8Babe,

Thanks for the safe travel wishes.

You''ll not believe this but we've cut down drastically down on travels. I wanted to get “travel out of my skin” and wanted to do so much of it until we were sick of it … but actually that is only now starting to happen after many years. It was supposed to be out od us earlier. We've been very fortunate, and now our travels are a shadow of what they use to be …... and we just go to where we know we love rather than too much exploring new places.

It's lovely you can do business class. We have recently downgraded most short travel to economy as we get lounges and fast tracks and the seats are the same. We always do Singapore in F twice or sometime three times a year but to be honest it still drives me barmy as 13 hours of sitting / laying still just does me in. I hate it.

The wonderful ipad app has just told me the incoming flight has touched ground so I guess our flight should be fine tonight.

Any trips planned?

Jeff

And please don't post a photo of one of their gross hot dogs mit senf. Those wieners are disgusting(IMHO). For me there's nothing wurst.

By all means share a piccy of a schnitzel - but it must be from Figlmullers

- they are awesome.

Will you be making time to visit a Heuriger at Grinzing? Do take the tram from Vienna - the ride back down is exhilerating. Unless you have over indulged on the pig knuckle and mugs of wine. Ah, it's all coming back to me now. Great song Celine

Hiya,

Well you clearly know your Vienna!

No – sorry no Figlmullers for us … you are clearly a gal impressed with size. It is a place where every person is almost always sent. If you must do Figls I suggest the place actually on the outskirts of Grinzing. Rather than take the 38 from Shottentor take the train to Heligenstadt and the 38a bus which plonks you at the door. I 'll post a picture of a proper schnitzel from a place a few hundred yards away from the town center two in a few weeks … and see if I can tempt/convert you. They are of course von kalb rather than schwien.

Yes – we love Grinzing but only go for lunch to Zum Martin Sepp.

http://www.zummartinsepp.at/

Too much performance at night with coach loads of happy snappy people from Eastern lands with over zealous picture glands…. They have a buffet during the week at lunch and it's really lovely and quite – as you know up on the 38 tram and the heurige white in the friendly quarter litre mugs are wonderful. The buffet is outside during summer and inside in winter.

The place for stelze I think you are talking about is The Swiss House in Prater with foaming wonderful Budvar.

http://www.schweizerhaus.at/#!/page_home

….. mit kren und senf ….

is that the one?

PS Just been given fresh travel instructions by The Boss. I recklessly showed how how to see the cams .. and she can see a hedge that needs trimming ..

be7uty7y.jpg

a doormat that needs clearing ...

ypy7u9ar.jpg

and a beach that she think needs attention ....

a7udeheq.jpg

I guess life is never dull ..... so it's down to Devon for a few days for me to be given a list of things to do ...

Jeff

Hiya,

Well you clearly know your Vienna!

The place for stelze I think you are talking about is The Swiss House in Prater with foaming wonderful Budvar.

Jeff

Ah,Prater. Memories of riding the Riesenrad looking for that other Limey. But sadly memories now getting lost in the mists of time( and alkohol). Must schnapp out of it and do something useful. Time to go and watch some paint dry.

Ah,Prater. Memories of riding the Riesenrad looking for that other Limey. But sadly memories now getting lost in the mists of time( and alkohol). Must schnapp out of it and do something useful. Time to go and watch some paint dry.

I guess that must make me the Third Man ... all those sewers! I'm really great at picking a tune out on the egg slicer!

Where are you off to next?

I guess that is us done for a while .....

4evura5e.jpg

We're off to Munich and England in September, will be looking for ideas for decent restaurants in London - any ideas? Jeff, Mr L (probably enjoying SB at the mo), Marianh?

Looking forward to our cruise next year though, only our fourth with SS but definitely hooked.

(Sad seeing the cases.)

Karin

Edited by V8Babe

I guess that must make me the Third Man ... all those sewers! I'm really great at picking a tune out on the egg slicer!

Where are you off to next?

I guess that is us done for a while .....

4evura5e.jpg

In Case you are still in WiFi range, monsewer Jeff. -

Sad that I can't play as I get all of a zither.

Florida late November and a Spiritual Carribbean cruise early December.

Domestic diversions have caused interregnum in summer/ Autumn travel plans. So lots of free time to be annoying on CC. And its great therapy:)

We're off to Munich and England in September, will be looking for ideas for decent restaurants in London - any ideas? Jeff, Mr L (probably enjoying SB at the mo), Marianh?

Karin

Here's a taster -

RSJ Restaurant, Coin Street near Waterloo.

Good food in unpretentious surroundings. Excellent value prix fixe menu. Great wine list focussed on Loire. Ask for Nigel.

J Sheekey, St Martins Court, Covent Garden

Good fish and seafood. Busy. Probably inexpensive for Aussies ( given exchange rate) but moderate prices for we impecunious Brits:(

Rules, Maiden Lane , Covent Garden

Bags of tradition. Robust offerings including well hung game ( as in being deceased for a while) and filling puddings. Some would say old fashioned with references to yesteryear. Quite a experience that comes at a price. It is possible to get the flavour without or before deciding to eat by visiting their upstairs bar/ lounge. Interesting cocktails.

Joe Allen, Exeter Street ,Covent Garden

Other outlets in Paris and New York. London venue occupies a dark cellar frequented by showbiz types on occasions. Straightforward menu and not too pricey. Try the Siglo Rioja ( cant miss it with it's hessian jacket) good value.

Of course many, many other good places. Depends on your taste preferences and the thickness of your wallet. Happy to recommend others if you share your preferences.

Edited by MARIANH

In Case you are still in WiFi range, monsewer Jeff. -

Sad that I can't play as I get all of a zither.

Florida late November and a Spiritual Carribbean cruise early December.

Domestic diversions have caused interregnum in summer/ Autumn travel plans. So lots of free time to be annoying on CC. And its great therapy:)

I please annoy away ...... :)

Couldn't stand another visit to Bleedin Airways Singapore lounge so using QuaintArse.

a6a4y7e4.jpg

upese5e2.jpg

CanI just echo your recs for London, particularly Rules for the experience. I also feel that an Oz visiting London should stroll and graze, and if you are a lunch rather than dinner person, then just pick up a fixed price in one of the better places. There is so much good food in London, particularly off-center then I think she should stroll and chance.

Safe journeys Jeff.

Thanks to you and MarianH for London tips.

V8babe have a wonderful time in London. I would love to hear your thoughts as a fellow Aussie as we are off there next year on a cruise. You are right about Mr L he is having a good time relaxing. Just heard from Mrs L they are having a great time with a group of Australians:). It is probably because they can rubbish us about the cricket:rolleyes:.

Safe journeys Jeff.

Thanks to you and MarianH for London tips.

. Just heard from Mrs L they are having a great time with a group of Australians:). It is probably because they can rubbish us about the cricket:rolleyes:.

We also had the pleasure of sailing with a group of Australians last year - approx 150:eek: ( something to do with the strong A$)

Seabourn Dalmation cruise Venice to Athens.

We had a great time swopping insults and consuming copious quantities of booze. Its a good job British and Aussie humour and taste is very similar. Not surprising really as we exported the humour gene with our colonisation crusades in the 18th and 19th Centuries. We made two good friends in particular who we met again earlier this year in Monaco. Strange that the same gene did not travel so well east to west across the Pond.

Perhaps Humour ( Humor for American cousins reading this - should there be any) would be an interesting topic to discuss on this thread. Humour, Nature or Nurture perhaps?

Oh and BTW Australia 183 for three first innings as I type. I think we are humouring you to make sure we get a decent game this time:p

Thanks. A fellow petrol-head!

I've some great behind the scenes pics I can post when I get back to base for the night before F1 in Monaco including the pit lane with cars arriving, the crews eating together etc. I promised the wife I'd get us access to walk the track during the previous evening. It was a memorable night that she often talks about.

I would love to see your pictures. We are going on our first ever cruise next May on the Spirit for the Monaco race ! Very very excited.

We go to Montreal every year, and have been to Silverstone 4 times.

Monaco is next on my bucket list.

I would love to see your pictures. We are going on our first ever cruise next May on the Spirit for the Monaco race ! Very very excited.

We go to Montreal every year, and have been to Silverstone 4 times.

Monaco is next on my bucket list.

Our very first cruise was on Spirit for the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix.

You will have such a fantastic time. I'm envious.

I've been pushing Mr Ravenscroft to do it again, but I appear to be losing my powers of persuasion. If I can hone them in the next few months, who knows maybe we'll also be on Spirit again next year :D

Our very first cruise was on Spirit for the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix.

You will have such a fantastic time. I'm envious.

I've been pushing Mr Ravenscroft to do it again, but I appear to be losing my powers of persuasion. If I can hone them in the next few months, who knows maybe we'll also be on Spirit again next year :D

Keep the pressure on Mr R. :D

Next year should be interesting with all the changes coming for 2014

Hope to see you on board

Thanks Jeff and MarianH for the dining tips. Frantic36 - more than happy to answer any London questions (from an Aussie point of view).

We Aussies are a great bunch (although I was born in England) and we do seem to have a lovely affinity with the Poms.

Although I've only known my 'water cooler friends' for a short time, they seem like a lot of fun.

Jeff, Qantas Club lounge food is not good, I wish they'd do something about it as it's a joke but shouldn't complain as we're lucky to be able to access the lounges.

Karin

Hi all,

Just back from our trip ..., phew!

I see some requests for some behind the barrier pictures taken on a trip to Monaco. Just some random shots of the old tmers race with some lovely classics ( we really loved those races) and a walk we took around the track the nights before F1 including a shot of the view when I climbed up to the flag waving podium.

Not brilliant pictures ... but hope they are enjoyed...

2a5yzemu.jpg

a4a5u9ub.jpg

eze5ujap.jpg

2use8e2y.jpg

9amy2e6u.jpg

amanatar.jpg

Jeff

Well, what do we do? A few sea days to occupy ourselves. How shall we keep ourselves amused? :confused:

I know. La Terrazza Fantasy Table Competion!!

The lights are dimmed … the music has been turned down low ….. and the candle light is flickering invitingly. All wine from the chargeable lists for this special meal is free-flow and complimentary. The only thing left is to decide who is going to be invited to join you with your chosen “one” at the table for an evening of congeniality, and witty and intelligent conversation to remember for a lifetime above all other evenings ever experienced on board ever before. Perhaps even a chance to ask that question you always wanted to ask … or to hear that funny story once more straight from the “horses mouth”.

The only thing left is to extend the invitations.

But who to invite?

So many people you'd wish you had a chance to meet before, some still around, others perhaps “less so”….. but of course at Silversea all you need to do is to ask ….. and everything is possible.

So with yourself seated with your other “chosen one” seated any where you tell them to sit which other seven dinner guest would you invite to join you at this night of nights on your once in a lifetime table for nine?

The only rules are ….

1. They can be alive or not quite so. No one else qualifies.

2. Only 4 can be invited from a single sex.

3. No fellow CC'er can be invited to avoid others feeling (and particularly me) feeling slighted and flouncing off in a huff.

4. There is no closing date for the competition and you can enter new tables or adjust old ones for as long as you want. You can steal or recycle other people's guests.

5. The first prize is anything you want it to be.

To start the ball rolling …. my first shot.

1. Peter Ustinov. I must hear some of his stories again. The Halibut. The story of the painting purchased from the artist ….. so many ..

2. Quentin Crisp. One of the most complex and brave men … and once he moved to The Bowery what did he then conclude about his life.

3. Leonardo Da Vinci. What does he make of things and in particular his ideas in the context of now

4. Leo Szilard. “What were you thinking … what do you now think

5. Margaret Thatcher to simply say “thanks” for always doing what you genuinely felt was right popular or not and whether it was in fact right or not.

6 Elizabeth Woodville, "The White Queen”.

7. Lucille Bill. From a funny woman to successful business woman. How?

My Chosen Prize. A fully renovated Silver Cloud for a month with people I choose and places we choose and food we choose with LPGS on free-flow.

Entries are now open. Very much open to all ......