Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

I also want to add my thanks for the photos. One of my favourite places...maybe you will be able to help me convince Mr & Mrs L to meet up in Singapore.

Julie

Silverseas sail there I am sure:cool:

Yes Julie,we would like that.

Will do the research

As me mam used to say " fatness is in the eye of the beholder". Well actually she didn't but would of if she adn't bean of generous proporshons 'erself.

She did say u allus nead sometink to fall back on. A grand derrière is therefore good.

Avast behind sailor!

Add?

Trolls

Are Mr Luxury and Mr Jeff doppelgängers?

Badgers

Handbags at Dawn

Why have my posts been removed

Included wine

Cruise ships I have never been on but I am going to comment anyway

Cruise ships I have been on but I am not going to comment,so there

Serial posters

Sycophantic twaddle

Should leave something for this thread - jest.

Oh, I forgot

Smoking

Time to stop digging?

Actually, I love that list! We should just start with these topics! Handbags at Dawn in particular caught my eye. What does that even mean?

Actually, I love that list! We should just start with these topics! Handbags at Dawn in particular caught my eye. What does that even mean?

It is an English idiomatic reference to an argument settled by a duel in which no one gets physically hurt but maybe the loser will lose face and suffer emotional humiliation..Aka a "cat fight" or a confrontation by ladies who use their handbags as weapons to settle a grievance. Please note this is not a sexist reference. In modern times guys may be substituted for girls. I think I better stop - I seem to be digging another hole.

Regarding the "dawn" reference, this relates to the historic practice of meeting at sun up with ones pistol to settle a score. Strict rules were applied and agreed before the confrontation started. Sometimes the drawing of first blood was sufficient satisfaction, othertimes the duel continued until one participant was mortally wounded. Reserved for the gentry, this code did not apply to the hoi polloi who just knocked ten shades of .... out of each other with any weapon to hand. This tradition continues alive and well in British society today.

Hope this is helpful.

"Reserved for the Gentry"... No wonder I was unfamiliar. I thought Handbags at Dawn referred to yet another fashion faux pas that separates the smuggiest cruisers from the downtrodden masses. Not sure which way I thought the faux pas applied.

Fully agree with the dawn bit but my take on the "handbags" part of it was that it originated in the gay community and was started when a couple of camped up guys argued and decided it couldn't be resolved and simply said "handbags at dawn" and laughed and it sort of stuck. I think it was in a TV sketch hence it's adoption more widely.

More Singapore ..... hope it's of interest as I hate talking to myself!

We had some really wonderful news late last night that was the sort of thing you hear too little these days.

Our very first visit Singapore many moons ago was a simple two night stopover on the way to Ozland and Singapore was simply a place to recharge and move on. On a first night, not knowing much better, we left the hotel and took the nearest street and plonked ourselves down at a Chinese / Thai family cafe called Maggis. Think formica tables, plastic chairs and florescent lights with fishes painted on the walls. I went down the menu doing as I usually do – ordering far too much because I wanted to try everything. Maggi came to take our order and on hearing my list she tutted and said “far too much – you're not going to eat all that waste your money – waste food – no good. what you like? Hot? Sweet? Spicey? Leave it to me …...” Basically she ignored most of my order and decided what we were going to eat. Normally this is going to be disastrous but we had the most wonderful meal. I tried to order on the following night but basically she just gave us what she thought we wanted and from then on I gave up and simply said “Maggi – bring us some food” She would say “You hungry, very hungry or very very hungry” and apart from the odd firm demand ie fried rice or chow mein we left it to her. We made made Maggis our first port of call on every subsequent visit. I'd write on the net about her and her cafe and send people there. I'd tell BA people and they through word of mouth have made it there place, Then around 5 years ago we arrived but Maggi wasn't there. We asked where she was and her son frowned and said “Mum very ill. Cancer”

Over the years we'd return but there was no Maggi and but a small family business that had lost it's heart and sparkle and quality. Our last visit a few months ago we sat at a table and no one could be bothered to take an order so with a lot of sadness we got up and left.

Last night we went back to Maggis and she was back with a lovely big smile and grin to welcome us. We chatted and now apart form the odd day when she doesn't feel well she is there for 12 hours every day 365 days a year. The food was wonderful and so was she. She'd come back because her kids needed her to make that business support them all. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to see her because I'd presumed that she had not beaten the cancer, Just as though nothing had happened she chose for us and we had a lovely meal. The price is more than the hawker stalls because it has it's own shop and tables and chairs. I tried to round it up for the tip but she was really upset with this and even when I said “it's for the kids” she refused.

If ever you go to Singapore see Maggi and tell her Jeff sent you.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/maggie-thai-and-chinese-singapore

Well- translations would help with

Badgers

Handbags at Dawn

Serial posters

Think I understand the others. Reminds me of India when we were there- kept reporting crimes (in English) that meant nothing whatsoever to us. One in particular but no longer remember what they called it.

More Singapore ..... hope it's of interest as I hate talking to myself!

We had some really wonderful news late last night that was the sort of thing you hear too little these days.

Our very first visit Singapore many moons ago was a simple two night stopover on the way to Ozland and Singapore was simply a place to recharge and move on. On a first night, not knowing much better, we left the hotel and took the nearest street and plonked ourselves down at a Chinese / Thai family cafe called Maggis. Think formica tables, plastic chairs and florescent lights with fishes painted on the walls. I went down the menu doing as I usually do – ordering far too much because I wanted to try everything. Maggi came to take our order and on hearing my list she tutted and said “far too much – you're not going to eat all that waste your money – waste food – no good. what you like? Hot? Sweet? Spicey? Leave it to me …...” Basically she ignored most of my order and decided what we were going to eat. Normally this is going to be disastrous but we had the most wonderful meal. I tried to order on the following night but basically she just gave us what she thought we wanted and from then on I gave up and simply said “Maggi – bring us some food” She would say “You hungry, very hungry or very very hungry” and apart from the odd firm demand ie fried rice or chow mein we left it to her. We made made Maggis our first port of call on every subsequent visit. I'd write on the net about her and her cafe and send people there. I'd tell BA people and they through word of mouth have made it there place, Then around 5 years ago we arrived but Maggi wasn't there. We asked where she was and her son frowned and said “Mum very ill. Cancer”

Over the years we'd return but there was no Maggi and but a small family business that had lost it's heart and sparkle and quality. Our last visit a few months ago we sat at a table and no one could be bothered to take an order so with a lot of sadness we got up and left.

Last night we went back to Maggis and she was back with a lovely big smile and grin to welcome us. We chatted and now apart form the odd day when she doesn't feel well she is there for 12 hours every day 365 days a year. The food was wonderful and so was she. She'd come back because her kids needed her to make that business support them all. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to see her because I'd presumed that she had not beaten the cancer, Just as though nothing had happened she chose for us and we had a lovely meal. The price is more than the hawker stalls because it has it's own shop and tables and chairs. I tried to round it up for the tip but she was really upset with this and even when I said “it's for the kids” she refused.

If ever you go to Singapore see Maggi and tell her Jeff sent you.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/maggie-thai-and-chinese-singapore

Your not talking to yourself ....well maybe you are but if so I would be careful of doing that in Singapore. As much as I love the place they don't take kindly to odd behaviour like that over there and you are likely to be hauled away in a white jacket.:eek::D

Loved your story about Maggi and will check the place out next time we go over.

JUlie

Fully agree with the dawn bit but my take on the "handbags" part of it was that it originated in the gay community and was started when a couple of camped up guys argued and decided it couldn't be resolved and simply said "handbags at dawn" and laughed and it sort of stuck. I think it was in a TV sketch hence it's adoption more widely.

I bow to your inside knowledge.I was careful to only allude to this ( see my para1).

And why? Because I thought that reference to alternative life styles might be on the "dangerous topics we don't talk about on CC list". Add to?

Edited by MARIANH

Well- translations would help with

Badgers

Handbags at Dawn

Serial posters

Think I understand the others. Reminds me of India when we were there- kept reporting crimes (in English) that meant nothing whatsoever to us. One in particular but no longer remember what they called it.

BADGERS - these are short sighted beasties who have been known to occasionally viciously attack humans without provocation even UkCruisers. Fortunately, when they so do ever watchful gamekeepers remove them to a place where they can do no further damage. You wont read much about them onCC any more. Not a recommended sobriquet . Comprende?

HANDBAGS etc - Not the Oprah variety but reference to an altercation.. See earlier posts for more info. PC connotations.

SERIAL POSTERS- these could be prolific posters on CC who may have been scurrilously alleged to highly value accumulating CC post miles. Potentially sensitive issue - best not go there.

SHOULD LEAVE etc- a clumsy attempt to say even without the banned substance list there is plenty to talk about around the Cooler.

And just look how popular is this thread - shedloads of hits in such a short time. And less straying"off topic" on other threads - win, win and no knockers (yet).Happy bunnies?:)

Bone Dewar mayz armees...

I'm trying to catch up on the two threads now.

I'm perplexed at the 'badgers' reference.

I realise they have a certain controversial status here in the UK :eek: but I've missed the part about their relevance to SS. Or is it more, as I suspect, that they aren't at all relevant? :D

Jeff, I look forward to catching up on your Singaporean adventure.

Mr Luxury, have a fab time on the Legend, look forward to hearing all about it on your return.

Bone Dewar mayz armees...

I'm perplexed at the 'badgers' reference.

I realise they have a certain controversial status here in the UK :eek: but I've missed the part about their relevance to SS. t :D

Yes, if you blinked you would have missed a cameo appearance of a badger or a beast with a similar sobriquet. After savaging one of our Uk Cruisers it was immediately put down. Not a sign of hide or hair since. Enough?

BADGERS - these are short sighted beasties who have been known to occasionally viciously attack humans without provocation even UkCruisers. Fortunately, when they so do ever watchful gamekeepers remove them to a place where they can do no further damage. You wont read much about them onCC any more. Not a recommended sobriquet .

And just look how popular is this thread - shedloads of hits in such a short time. And less straying"off topic" on other threads - win, win and no knockers (yet).Happy bunnies?:)

Slightly off topic!

I'm fortunate to have a badger bristle hair brush - they are the VERY BEST! I bought mine while living in Europe many moons ago. Now badgers are protected and it's almost impossible to buy a badger bristle brush nowadays.

I attribute my full head of hair for my badger bristle brush. Also, hardly ever wearing a hat - own only one - a ski hat.

Slightly off topic!

I'm fortunate to have a badger bristle hair brush - they are the VERY BEST! I bought mine while living in Europe many moons ago. Now badgers are protected and it's almost impossible to buy a badger bristle brush nowadays.

I attribute my full head of hair for my badger bristle brush. Also, hardly ever wearing a hat - own only one - a ski hat.

Love your post. I think you are developing an "edge".....not a bad thing.

And another thing …...

Am I the only person in the world that is sick and tired of these selfish people who now walk everywhere with their eyes down on a bleedin' screen tapping away without ever looking where they are going? When did the law change and made it the responsibility of decent people like me to have to keep dodging these idiots like doin a bleedin' obstacle course when they walk in a straight line eyes down and s*d everyone who happens to be in their path. And of course you can't shout abuse at them because they've also got their bleeding earpieces in!

And now everyone seems to be doing it?! If I gave one a slap would I be charged?

And then of course when they are in a queue and you're behind them. Do they ever actually make it to the front? No they seem to forget their in a queue with other people behind them. Great big gap in front of therm. And when they get to the till it seems a bleedin' shock that they have to pay. But only after finishing their bleedin' text and only then do they start fumbling around to look for their bleedin' purse or wallet.

ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Your Grumpy Git In The Tropics - Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Greetings from Singapore.

Well last night down to Maggis for a bit of late night chow … kung po chicken with cashew with beef in black bean sauce fried rice and a chow mein and some funny prawns in crumb that she loves .....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282443.525309.jpg.23b3b649ae7b5e78e89e1c2e13ef333b.jpg

Off to Sentosa this morning and not really worth the effort in my view except a place doing the history of Singapore which was good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282458.013235.jpg.56674b6b56dd131505ff8d487c076707.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282474.320786.jpg.52a525ce50e312239b9fbe22634f42a6.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282488.667147.jpg.52f781cf6f55eb409616ee7a702f369b.jpg

Then on to Lau Pa Sat for some lunch. Mutton curry, veg curry, with pulse curry and rice – then some char siu and won ton with noodle and some roast duck with noodle and a bowl of fish ball and noodle soup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282568.104519.jpg.0352f4a9c72d4f959f7c7ec38e0f216e.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282508.804835.jpg.db92a2ada2c3a19c367071d253f2fbee.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282528.282234.jpg.9fadf2929a3807a47178bc5e1db375d4.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282542.826870.jpg.a2d633df7ab4ad7d73c5789047485be8.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376282554.000007.jpg.c3bff6b31b411905a04d2375930abb70.jpg

Then back to the suite for a doze and because I want to spend a bit more quality time with the mini-bar. Alcohol is expensive in Singapore and it's a real bonus having a free mini-bar and it is taking a bit of a hit. Someone has to do it.

ps I think you click the tappawallah images if you want them a bit bigger.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time and posting. Really enjoying your photos too, as I have never been.

Really want to do a trip with Singapore, HongKong and a beach.

Do you know anything of Bintan? There is a Banyan Tree resort there which looks lovely.

Where do you recommend staying in Singapore?

Thanks

Sakaara

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time and posting. Really enjoying your photos too, as I have never been.

Really want to do a trip with Singapore, HongKong and a beach.

Do you know anything of Bintan? There is a Banyan Tree resort there which looks lovely.

Where do you recommend staying in Singapore?

Thanks

Sakaara

Don't know Bintan I'm afraid .. but someone else will.

Re Singapore hotels. Do you have any status in any of the chains or a card like Amex Plat card?

Hi Jeff,

Don't have Amex, but do have Ritz Rewards card.

We tend to stay on Club Level in the Ritz. We like Four Seasons too.

Neither myself or my Husband travel for business only leisure.

Which Deluxe Hotels would you recommend ? We will also be taking our kids

Currently 10 & 14. ( they behave very well in a Club Lounge😉).

Thanks

Sakaara