Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Of course I do. I just see the humor when someone is either blasting someone else or expressing that they can't even fathom the thought process for why they care what someone else wears, then follows it up with an, "as long as it's not _____________."

It happens often, and I find it rather curious. It really comes down to, "I can't imagine why your standards would differ from mine."

You've hit the nail right on the head there. CC's moto should be;

"I can't imagine why your standards would differ from mine."

You see this in so many types of threads; reviews, tipping, formal nights, dress codes, anything criticizing someone's favorite cruise line, and on and on and on. Curious for sure. Humourus, definitely.:D (sorry, from your last couple of posts here I couldn't tell if you were finding this stuff as humourus as they are curious :o. But just between you and I, let's not discourage this behavior too too much because it's also very, very entertaining.;)

I can't believe I'm weighing in on this, but I am. At a funeral yesterday, everyone dressed nicely, some men, including DH, wore suits, most in nice golf shirts and slacks. The ladies were in dresses and pants suits, nothing fancy, just nice. A guy came in in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. He actually stopped in the aisle and said "Whoa, I didn't know this was dress up. ".

I guess he was embarrassed, because he turned around and left. My nephew said later that he was a friend of his.

My question is: how do you dress for a wedding or funeral? Do your children know how to dress to show respect for an occasion or place?

The MDR has tablecloths, linen napkins, stemware and decent flatware. Never mind the quality of the food, the setting is a little nicer than bare tables and plastics are rolled up in a paper napkin.

I stopped wearing formal wear on a cruise ten years ago, but I and my DH, adult children and grandchildren feel good dressing appropriately for the occasion or the venue. I just don't look at the people who don't feel that way.

I apologize if somebody has made this observation before.

1. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in food.
  2. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in service.
  3. There seem to be many who believe the old way of dressing up is going the way of the rotary phone.

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning? Are these food/service declines not just a reversion to the lowest common denominator? After all, it seems universal that specialty restaurants (where you typically find the dress and atmosphere nicer) do the dining experience better.

Said another way: In my experience, eating establishments with higher standards for their patrons also apply higher standards to their food and service.

Said yet another way: Why would any cruise line whose patrons can't distinguish between beach wear and formal wear assume they can identify (or even want) a fine dining experience?

Remember this the next time you want to complain about your small, overcooked lobster as you leave the dining room wearing cargo shorts and a Coors Light t-shirt.

In advance, any response that contains "it's my vacation" or a discussion of "suggested versus required" need not apply.

Before you post the usual response, seriously think about this and decide if we are simply now sleeping in the bed we have made?

Well said. :D

The MDR has tablecloths, linen napkins, stemware and decent flatware. Never mind the quality of the food, the setting is a little nicer than bare tables and plastics are rolled up in a paper napkin.

True. Think of what you might wear to Longhorn's Steakhouse or Olive Garden and you've got it about right.

So do I. That is why we have not stepped foot into the MDR in quite a few cruises now.

We used the dining room twice on our first cruise in 2002. Since then, we have cruised at least yearly and have never returned to the dining room again.

What I find interesting about this and pretty much all dress code/suggestion threads is the idea that seems to come from formal-night advocates that if the ship-designated formal/elegant night went away (or if the dress code/suggestion is not enforced), those who wanted to dress up would lose out on something. What would they lose out on? Do they fear that the cruise line will set the MDR table with plasticware and serve hamburgers, or that the cruise line would not offer formal photo services? If so, this would represent a true loss for them, as for me. Or are folks actually afraid that the loss of formal night would mean that they would not be allowed to dress up? Does someone fear that they would be barred from the MDR because they are wearing a tux or a gown? Though this as well would be, for many, a true loss, I cannot believe this is a realistic fear on anyone's part.

So what is left to fear?

When my husband and I go out to celebrate an anniversary or birthday, we dress up. Others in the restaurant may not be dressed up, but we are, for our personal reasons. When celebrating, we choose a "nice" restaurant -- our definition of a "nice" restaurant, anyway -- one where we feel we will get good food and good service in a nice atmosphere, and, if possible, excellent food with exceptional service in an elegant and refined atmosphere. We therefore expect/assume that others in the establishment will be "dressed up," but of course we cannot know this, nor could we or would we insist upon it.

We naturally do not always find the restaurant to be filled with nicely-dressed patrons. Sometimes we are by far the best dressed diners in the place. So what? We dressed to please ourselves and each other, and to honor the occasion we are celebrating. We are not embarrassed to be dressed up, nor do we expect others in the restaurant to be dressed to honor us or our occasion.

So what is the big fear being expressed in this and other similar threads? A fear that if formal/elegant night goes away, no one will be allowed to dress up is patently absurd. My husband and I have often been out to dinner in March/April, and been seated near a large party of young people dressed in tuxes and gowns -- prom night! Were these people told by the maitre d', "I am sorry, we cannot seat you, you are overdressed?" Of course not. Did the maitre d' say to us, "I am sorry, I cannot seat you because you are not in prom attire, as these other diners are?" Of course not. Prom-goers are often seen late at night at McDonald's getting a snack, and though they may not look like the typical McDonald's patron, they are served just as well, and are having their own fun!

Even if there were no designated formal night, why would anyone think that they could not dress up just the same?

I doubt that folks are really afraid that they will not be allowed to dress up if formal night goes away. So are they afraid of "sticking out" in some way? Of being gawked at or even judged as trying to be "above" everyone else -- as showing off, shall we say? Perhaps those who fear the loss of formal night are actually afraid that they will be looked down on as "elitist snobs" just as they have judged the down-dressers as lazy, ignorant pigs.

Or is the real problem that formal night advocates simply look at other MDR patrons as fixtures -- part of the restaurant's ambiance, like chandeliers, tablecloths, china, and stemware -- and if they do not meet the standard, they take away from the atmosphere and are not wanted?

What I find interesting about this and pretty much all dress code/suggestion threads is the idea that seems to come from formal-night advocates that if the ship-designated formal/elegant night went away (or if the dress code/suggestion is not enforced), those who wanted to dress up would lose out on something. What would they lose out on? Do they fear that the cruise line will set the MDR table with plasticware and serve hamburgers, or that the cruise line would not offer formal photo services? If so, this would represent a true loss for them, as for me. Or are folks actually afraid that the loss of formal night would mean that they would not be allowed to dress up? Does someone fear that they would be barred from the MDR because they are wearing a tux or a gown? Though this as well would be, for many, a true loss, I cannot believe this is a realistic fear on anyone's part.

So what is left to fear?

I don't think it's "fear" of anything, but there are certainly those who would miss the formal nights. That doesn't mean that they will be prohibited from dressing up. You could dress formally to go to McDonald's, if you wanted, but that wouldn't make it a dress-up occasion. Some people simply like having that dress-up occasion. Surely you're not really that confused by this concept, even if you feel differently.

Even if there were no designated formal night, why would anyone think that they could not dress up just the same?

i prefer the use of "suggested" rather than "designated". That allows people with a similar dress choice to do so as a group, rather than randomly. Helps with the planning.

Other than in your post, could you show me where people have been referred to as "lazy, ignorant pigs"?

I have no fear how people view me or how I dress. Quite frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

Yes! Usually in the piece I put in the overheads. Not divulging how or what I use to so.

Surely you're not serious. Have you considered the consequences of getting caught? It's not a slap on the wrist or a visit to the naughty room.

I don't think it's "fear" of anything, but there are certainly those who would miss the formal nights. That doesn't mean that they will be prohibited from dressing up.

But what exactly would those people miss? If the cruise line no longer had a designated formal night but you and your party chose one night - maybe on someone in your party's birthday or anniversary or some other celebration...or it could just be "Tuesday", doesn't matter - for eveyone to dress up...what would be the difference? What would be "missed"?

You could dress formally to go to McDonald's, if you wanted, but that wouldn't make it a dress-up occasion.

Says who? You? I think it's up to the people involved to decide whether or not is is a "dress-up occasion" - regardless of the location.

Some people simply like having that dress-up occasion. Surely you're not really that confused by this concept, even if you feel differently.

And they need the cruise line to tell them when that is? Can they be that gullible to fall for the cruise line creating this whole completely contrived evening with their chief motivation being selling insanely overpriced photos?

As for the whole dress up occasion, my party is wearing tuxedos and nice dresses for our short 4 day cruise. We are all under 30. So we don't fit in the criteria you have listed.

That being said, none of what anyone else wears in the dining room will effect our experience. We don't validate how we feel about eating at certain places by the company that is there. People will have different standards, coming from different backgrounds.

The fact of reality is it shouldn't matter what other people do. It only matters what those whom you truly care about, do. Everything else is noise.

a quote to add a bit of levity to the heated debate (at least for those of you who recognize it):

"and thirdly, the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules. Welcome aboard the black pearl, miss turner."

lol :D

Surely you're not serious. Have you considered the consequences of getting caught? It's not a slap on the wrist or a visit to the naughty room.

Why wouldn't I be serious? What consequences? Like I'd have to check my bags? Never had a problem.....EVER!

And they need the cruise line to tell them when that is? Can they be that gullible to fall for the cruise line creating this whole completely contrived evening with their chief motivation being selling insanely overpriced photos?

Interesting point. The more you think about it, "formal night" can be viewed by some as just another theme night, like "50's night" or "Caribbean Night". Are those who are not dressed in poodle skirts or flowered shirts to be castigated for non-conformance?

I can't remember if they offer overpriced photos on those occasions, however.

Again...THIS is the Dress Code....how hard is this to Interpret???

Does not say "Only Applies on certain nights"

Looks pretty straight forward to me.....

Yes, exactly. IT IS straight forward. NO bare feet, caps or bathing suits at ANY TIME and NO shorts allowed for dinner.

Which is why i find it rather hilarious when people here tell others they cant wear jeans on formal night. Where, exactly, in that "straight forward" dress code does it say that? :D

These dress code threads always remind me of riding a roller coaster. It's lots and lots of fun - with ups and downs, twists and turns, with a few loopty-loops thrown in for good measure. But in the end you just end up back where you started. :D

But what exactly would those people miss? If the cruise line no longer had a designated formal night but you and your party chose one night - maybe on someone in your party's birthday or anniversary or some other celebration...or it could just be "Tuesday", doesn't matter - for eveyone to dress up...what would be the difference? What would be "missed"?

Says who? You? I think it's up to the people involved to decide whether or not is is a "dress-up occasion" - regardless of the location.

Obviously, you don't understand the concept of a formal occasion. It's a social thing. If all you care about is yourself, then you are right - it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.

Interesting point. The more you think about it, "formal night" can be viewed by some as just another theme night, like "50's night" or "Caribbean Night". Are those who are not dressed in poodle skirts or flowered shirts to be castigated for non-conformance?

I can't remember if they offer overpriced photos on those occasions, however.

They offer photos for pretty much every occasion. :)

They don't really do theme dress nights any more, though. I haven't seen that in quite a few years.

Obviously, you don't understand the concept of a formal occasion. It's a social thing. If all you care about is yourself, then you are right - it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing.

I think what mcd is trying to convey is that if you have a special event, that date holds more importance than some arbitrary date that rotates randomly according to the CD's mood. It's not that he simply cannot understand the concept of a formal occasion.

I believe mcd's contention is analogous to the argument that all couples should do something romantic on Valentine's Day. I personally don't take heed to it, and I instead surprise my gf "just because" on several dates throughout the year. She actually scoffs at the fact most men need to be told to be romantic on a specific date, whereas others will do it on the regular.

Archived