Too early to book? Airfare?

amd1234

Well I have been checking fares and its always the ? Should I book or wait ? I have zeroed in on changing our plans and staying two extra days in Zurich. It has been a difficult process trying to book out of Basel for our return flight to Boston. We have more flight options flying from Zurich. I have a flight that I am watching Bos non stop to Amsterdam returning Zurich, Amsterdam to Bos . The price $2800. (2)......now I will have to do research on Zurich knowing nothing about the city another adventure! We are leaving June 25, 2014 returning July 8.... TOO EARLY?

I think it's a little early. Now is a good time to start researching airfares, seeing what they cost, so you'll know if you get good deal or find a good price. I've always read that early January is a good time to purchase international airfare. I think the logic is that people don't have extra money after the holidays.

Yes, it's way too early. I would recommend not even looking until 6 months out max. I've read 2 months out is the optimal time to book, but that may be domestic flights.

Actually. I've had the best luck about 8 months out - for both our Russian and Eastern European cruises.

Waited to book our most recent Danube cruise as I wasn't entirely sure about dates, and missed the best prices. We booked about 8 weeks out - and hit a bit of a downward spike - but certainly not as cheap as they were months ago.

However - after we booked, they jumped up again (from $1400 pp to between $1800 and $2000) so it could have been worse.

I do agree with picking your flights and watching for a price drop.

Fran

Well I have been checking fares and its always the ? Should I book or wait ? I have zeroed in on changing our plans and staying two extra days in Zurich. It has been a difficult process trying to book out of Basel for our return flight to Boston. We have more flight options flying from Zurich. I have a flight that I am watching Bos non stop to Amsterdam returning Zurich, Amsterdam to Bos . The price $2800. (2)......now I will have to do research on Zurich knowing nothing about the city another adventure! We are leaving June 25, 2014 returning July 8.... TOO EARLY?

When pricing airfare from Basel, try both airport codes - BSL (Swiss) and MLH (French). Oftentimes you can get a lower fare by checking both.

It's the same flight, just priced differently.

Just keep in mind that end of June into July is getting into the peak summer travel period so keep an eye on availability on the flights you want as well.

If they are getting booked up then the odds on the fares falling reduces.

Did you check with your cruise line for their airfare deals? They probably also include free transfers (at least if you stick with Basel), and the airfare would come under the trip insurance if you bought that from the cruise line too.

I follow airfare rates on the ITA matrix months in advance so I know the approximate costs for the itinerary I am seeking to purchase (I check almost daily). In the past three years we have made four trips to Europe. I have purchased every single flight almost the minute they come out. I continue to monitor my flight after I purchase. Usually the cost jumps up soon after and rarely has it come down. If the cost drops significantly, it is usually too close to the trip date for my comfort, or on the more undesirable, longer flights.

If you are not fussy about the total length of your journey, longer layovers, seat assignments, airline, number of stops, etc., waiting may get you a significantly better fare (its the flights that aren't selling well or not full close to the departure date that get discounted).

When I booked trip with Viking, I asked if I needed to book their air then or could I wait. They said I could wait, but I asked their price. Then I went to my TA and told her to see if see could find something cheaper. Less than a month later, she found us a flight that saved us $300 each from what Viking was asking. You can get a lot of transfers to and from the ship for $300. Train from Amsterdam (which is 5 minutes from docks) to Schipol cost about 5 euros and takes 20 minutes or less.

I follow airfare rates on the ITA matrix months in advance so I know the approximate costs for the itinerary I am seeking to purchase (I check almost daily). In the past three years we have made four trips to Europe. I have purchased every single flight almost the minute they come out. I continue to monitor my flight after I purchase. Usually the cost jumps up soon after and rarely has it come down. If the cost drops significantly, it is usually too close to the trip date for my comfort, or on the more undesirable, longer flights.

If you are not fussy about the total length of your journey, longer layovers, seat assignments, airline, number of stops, etc., waiting may get you a significantly better fare (its the flights that aren't selling well or not full close to the departure date that get discounted).

Your experience has been ours as well.

I am a stickler for ample connection times, specific transfer hubs, arrival and departure times, seat assignments we prefer, etc.

I book when I determine the price is a fair market price.

While getting the lowest price is preferable, getting what we want that allows us to travel the way we desire is more preferable. Price is only part of the equation.

Turning to an actual analysis of flight prices, the recommended best time to book an international flight is 81 days out, on average. That is a far cry from 8 months out. Your mileage may vary.

Study: http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/how-far-in-advance-should-i-book-my-flight/

Interesting link, but supports my belief that research goes a long way.

Quoting from tha same article:

We also found a bunch of examples where the best day to book was the day the flight opened for sale, 331 days in advance

Guess I've been very fortunate to be included in that "bunch of examples". I'll continue to book early rather than follow the advice and wait until day 81. I'm confident that I'll get the flight I want instead of whatever is left at that point.

I'll continue to book early rather than follow the advice and wait until day 81. I'm confident that I'll get the flight I want instead of whatever is left at that point.

Same here, waiting may get you a cheaper flight sometimes, but we value getting the right flight and seats higher than just getting a cheaper flight that may be less than ideal.

I'm glad this questin came up. I'm a fan of booking domestic flights close to the 331...I have to travel "peak" school vacation weeks with kids and a job that follows the school calendar. For those times, I've almost always found the flights I want for a price I can live with, but I do follow the routes I travel frequently and have seen direct flights sell out, only 1 or 2 seats offered at the lowest prices (not the 3 or 4 I might need) and unseemly connections (Boston to Detroit to get to Fl in Feb for example) For other times, I do see a dip in fares ive followed at the 100-90 day window, so it sounds like its the same for Europe.

But I'm new to booking Europe, and there are so many options, it's all a bit overwhelming! I think booking early is not a bad option though because we will have a boat to catch, and not as much flexibility as someone planning their own land based vacation. My TA is in Australia now, and when she returns, I'm going to get on this! But it sounds like an open jawed itinerary (in one city and out another) is going to cost 1500-2000+ pp. And it's hard to get direct flights to and from Boston, which means we may get a better deal through NY.

It is a total equation and price is one part of it. I am fussy about the route, airline, connections, etc. I just booked for the end of June 2014 so I could get what I wanted. It is also a relief not to have to watch a fare and wonder if it is going to go up. I usually book with a Internet site that offers us a "rebate" if the fare goes down. I never expected to be paying the amount for fares to Europe that we have to pay now, but this is the time of our lives that we can travel so we pay or don't go.

When I book domestic and the flights go down this particular airline will give me a voucher to use for a future flight(you have a year) you have to be a FF member and it will be deposited into your acct. also Yapta a web site that will monitor your flight and give you a rebate. Not sure if this works on European flights. Does anyone have a recommendation of a web site that will give a rebate if fare decreases ? I checked the flight I have been monitoring for June and it increased by $100.00. This is so frustrating I want to book at a decent price and forget about it!... Venting...

But it sounds like an open jawed itinerary (in one city and out another) is going to cost 1500-2000+ pp. And it's hard to get direct flights to and from Boston, which means we may get a better deal through NY.

I'm sure you already know this, but do try and avoid having the open jaw book as two one-ways as that does tend to put the price up considerably.

Usually that means booking with the same airline on a 'mutli-city' itinerary which may limit options a bit, but does keep the cost lower.

You might consider something like Easyjet for a one way to Amsterdam, rather than booking it all on one ticket. Even with paying the baggage charge, it will probably be cheaper. I'm not sure how far out you can book, but you could easily get an idea with a dummy booking. I would guess even with the baggage charge you could go one way back to AMS for less than$100 pp. there are different weight restrictions in Europe so you need to be aware of this, if you add your luggage early, it is cheaper than waiting to check it at the airport.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It is a total equation and price is one part of it. I am fussy about the route, airline, connections, etc..

I am somewhat "fussy" as well. I do follow flights on the Matrix website - but also go into the airline websites of the companies that I like to fly with and punch in my dates - usually use the "multi stop" option.

I have an idea in my mind of what I want to pay - and when the price hits that, I will book. I also ask my TA to inquire about the cost with the cruise line - occasionally I can do better that way, but not often.

Currently watching for June 2014 - prices still aren't where I think they will be for next year. Although, they are getting there.

Fran

I booked our June 2014 flight just after they became available. Flying Newark to Paris (non stop) and Prague to Newark(one stop in Amsterdam). Paid $1180 which includes upgrade to economy comfort. Had pretty much the entire plane to pick our seats. This is our 3rd trip to Europe and by far our cheapest flight! Flying Delta - found flight on Expedia. Watching flights go up and down by the hour (so it seems) and trying to time it perfect can get old very quickly not to mention frustrating!

I booked our June 2014 flight just after they became available. Flying Newark to Paris (non stop) and Prague to Newark(one stop in Amsterdam). Paid $1180 which includes upgrade to economy comfort. Had pretty much the entire plane to pick our seats. This is our 3rd trip to Europe and by far our cheapest flight! Flying Delta - found flight on Expedia. Watching flights go up and down by the hour (so it seems) and trying to time it perfect can get old very quickly not to mention frustrating!

That seems like a good price. We flew Delta/Air France to Geneva this summer. I liked their economy comfort option. Their itinerary for multiple-city Boston to Prague, Budapest to Boston is around $1400 but I've seen it as high as $1600,, so we'll probably buy it when it comes out.

Maybe this will be a helpful solution finding your price on a flight. After much research deciding airline, schedules and price I went to Yapta to post the flight to track. Decide your airline and the flight number go to Yapta post to My Trips and they will notify you of a price change. You can also apply a target price but its optional. When you have the price you want click select and Yapta will direct you to the airline web site. Hopefully I will be successful in getting a reasonable airfare..

Archived