Day attire - Alaska Cruise - Westerdam

cigloo

Hello all,

We are getting ready to sail on the Westerdam in Alaska and wanted to know what to wear onboard during the day? We have the nights figured out and days in port sightseeing, but what about onboard? Is it cold, can we go swimming, shorts and sleeveless shirts??

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Hello all,

We are getting ready to sail on the Westerdam in Alaska and wanted to know what to wear onboard during the day? We have the nights figured out and days in port sightseeing, but what about onboard? Is it cold, can we go swimming, shorts and sleeveless shirts??

Any help is greatly appreciated :D

(August) Perhaps a sweater in the early morning and then shorts w/sandals for the rest of the day. Since Alaska is in a rain forest, you might need a poncho if you plan on spending time outside.

Be prepared to layer your clothes, even on the ship. Shorts and t-shirts may very well be comfortable, especially inside, some days. Long pants are needed, too, as well as a sweatshirt.

Yes, you certainly can swim, as the indoor pool has a cover that's closed in inclement weather, and can be opened a little or a lot, depending on how nice it is outside.

Have a great time in The Great Land.

Is it cold, can we go swimming, shorts and sleeveless shirts??

The answer is YES: It's Alaska, you will have weather. ;)

We went form 59°F in Juneau to 39°F in Glacier Bay to 72-74°F in Sitka and Ketchikan. Those warm sunny days we lazed in the sun by the aft pool after sail-aways and come home with a tan.

Bring clothes you can layer (and even gloves and caps/hats) and don't forget shorts and bathing suits.

We sailed Sept 1st last year. It was very casual on the ship during the day. Almost everyone was in jeans or casual pants and tshirts and casual tops. Lots of sweatshirts. Be prepared for everything. When we sailed out of Seattle, first sea day, and the day we sailed in to Victoria, we spent the entire day on our balcony in shorts or jeans and tshirt. Glacier Bay day was sunny and we started the morning in multiple layers, but as the day warmed up, we slowly peeled off layers until we were in jeans and tshirt in front of Margery Glacier. As we sailed towards Johns Hopkins Glacier, it got really cold again and we bundled back up into multiple layers and in triclimate jackets again.

The only time I saw anyone in the Sea View pool was the first day while we were docked in Seattle. Most times the Lido pool was empty or only one or two people in it. LOTS of empty chairs. The hot tubs were pretty emptytoo both inside and out.

The answer is YES: It's Alaska, you will have weather. ;)

We went form 59°F in Juneau to 39°F in Glacier Bay to 72-74°F in Sitka and Ketchikan. Those warm sunny days we lazed in the sun by the aft pool after sail-aways and come home with a tan.

Bring clothes you can layer (and even gloves and caps/hats) and don't forget shorts and bathing suits.

I second this! We cruised to Alaska in early Aug 2008 & wore mostly long pants & a sweatshirt..However we only swim when the weather is in the 80's & 90's..

Attached is a pic of our group in Denali during mid Aug..For some it was warm & they wore short sleeves..For others like us, we were in jeans, sweatshirts &/or jackets..It was never warm enough for me to swim, but others did swim on the ship when days were sunny..

Betty

340826975_ALASKAGROUPOF22AUG2008.jpg.477ba802048b5d9476a4dd7031952c17.jpg

We wore basically snow clothes in June, yet the prior week had been in the 70's. Our Alaska weather was somewhere between cold, drizzly and windy, but occasionally sunny too -- highly variable from moment to moment. Water proof shoes were our best packing choice, along with the cold gear so nothing stopped us and we walked around a lot at every port --rain or shine.

Good thing is close to every port they were selling packets of fleece items: jacket, gloves and hats for about $20 dollars so you can always find more layers to buy if you don't bring them. Plus the ship store also carries extra warm items too. Best photo was of passengers stretched out on the aft deck loungers bundled up to their noses, but still enjoying being outdoors with that glorious Alaska backdrop all around them.

We've enjoyed the pools and hot tubs on all of our Alaskan cruises. I generally wear shorts unless it's cooler than 60 degrees. The big thing is to have appropriate clothes for viewing the glaciers. I can't count the number of people I saw shivering on the open decks because they weren't prepared--did not have gloves, hats, and adequate warm clothing.

We've enjoyed the pools and hot tubs on all of our Alaskan cruises. I generally wear shorts unless it's cooler than 60 degrees. The big thing is to have appropriate clothes for viewing the glaciers. I can't count the number of people I saw shivering on the open decks because they weren't prepared--did not have gloves, hats, and adequate warm clothing.

If I had to give advice to anyone about Alaska - your post would be it. For our Alaska journey in May 2011 for glacier viewing I had on long underwear top & bottom, corduroy slacks, heavy turtle neck, fleece jacket with attached outer layer insulated waterproof hooded coat. Scarf, gloves, all that. AND I still froze when it was glacier viewing time. But it was worth it for the beautiful :) experience. To me it was kind of like watching ice melt while standing in the freezer! Layer, layer, layer is the secret - and those hats, scarves, gloves.

We were also completely bundled in front of Johns hopkins with long johns, sweat pants, sweater, triclimate jacket, gloves, hat and jacket hood on, and we were still very cold.

We were both surprised by how exhausted we were at then end of the day when all we did was sit and look at glaciers all day. I think we burned the energy trying to stay warm.

We were also completely bundled in front of Johns hopkins with long johns, sweat pants, sweater, triclimate jacket, gloves, hat and jacket hood on, and we were still very cold.

We were both surprised by how exhausted we were at then end of the day when all we did was sit and look at glaciers all day. I think we burned the energy trying to stay warm.

I always wondered why the food on the Zuiderdam tasted sooooo good on our Alaska cruise. I think we too were shivering our way into being so famished that everything was absolutely delicious. :p (But it really was)

Earmuffs - many a trip has been saved just by a pair of earmuffs or "ear pops" tucked into my kit.

The 2 times we went, both in mid September, we had not a sinle drop of rain, and wore shorts and t shirts all day long. After dinner, on deck, a sweater or light jacket was fine. But from what I hear, we were very lucky both times.

I've lived in north-western BC, Whitehorse in the Yukon and North Central BC my entire life. On a typical fall day, I'd wear regular tube socks, runners, jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie and that would be fine. You could probably get away with shorts depending on the weather, and the long-term forecast for this area looks to be just great. Maybe I'd have a waterproof jacket to go overtop of, or swap out for the hoodie.

Everyone is saying layers and they're saying it for a reason. I'm not sure if you would desperately need gloves or a toque, but maybe a 99 cent pair from Walmart would get you by.

I was there last week on Oosterdam and I often wore shorts in our cabin and on the verandah. My girlfriend wore dresses and was quite comfortable. I generally wore pants and short sleeves around the ship. On shore days, I wore something similar and carried a sweater and some sort of rain jacket. Enjoy!! It's so beautiful there!

Everyone is saying layers and they're saying it for a reason. I'm not sure if you would desperately need gloves or a toque, but maybe a 99 cent pair from Walmart would get you by.

I was very happy I brought gloves and a knitten cap when we hit 39°F in Glacier Bay. :) As I live in the Northeast I had those items already but for people from warm climates down south it may not be so easy to find.

I've lived in north-western BC, Whitehorse in the Yukon and North Central BC my entire life. .......

The time these extras are really helpful is being out on the decks during the Glacier Bay viewing time when the wind coming off the glaciers is cold and you just can't leave the outdoor mesmerizing scenery. The good thing is having all those extras readily available for purchase in the Alaska cruise ports, if one does find they need the extra bundling up.

I was very happy I brought gloves and a knitten cap when we hit 39°F in Glacier Bay. :) As I live in the Northeast I had those items already but for people from warm climates down south it may not be so easy to find.

You can order these things so cheaply on line these days.

WalMart, KMart, JC Penny, even CVS kind of stores. They are all on sale now so if there's a bit of shipping charge, you still won't pay much. If you live in a warm climate and think you may cruise Alaska in the near future, search the web for discounted winter gear, buy and put it away. You shouldn't have to pay more the $5 for a woolen knit hat. Don't bother with LL Bean or Lands End..... you'll pay too much there. You can buy woolen knit gloves for $3.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed on the Westerdam August 10-17. Weather was unusually warm from Seattle to Sitka - in the 70s, maybe even hit 80 in Sitka. It rained in Ketchikan and cooled down after that. We all brought layers - tee shirts, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts or pullovers, outer jacket and waterproof jacket. Hats and gloves as well.

We probably over-packed but I did use most if not all my clothing. On Glacier Bay day, I was up very early and out on the deck by 7 AM. That morning I had on a tee shirt, long sleeve shirt, pullover, outer jacket, hat and gloves. I was very comfortable. My 8 year old son was with me and was dressed similarly but got cold before I did.

In Juneau and Sitka, we wore short sleeve shirts but carried a light jacket just in case. We could have easily worn shorts but we didn't pack them. In Ketchikan I wore my rain gear over my street clothes. No additional heavy shirts or jackets needed.

Basically, you need to bring clothes to dress for temperatures between 40 and 80 and also be prepared for rain.

Archived