Your opinion: going through the rings of Captain's Circle

Bimmer babe

If it was up to me I'd say it should be the number of days, but I'm not upset by the idea of someone booking 15 - 3 day cruises. Who would want to do that anyway? I'm sure there are some people who only book suites who think they should have a higher category than those who only book insides. It's a loyalty program and Princess is trying to encourage all different kinds of travelers to become loyal to their product. I have a friend who recently did a South America cruise in a mini-suite and is now thinking of doing a 3 day cruise to bump up their status to Elite before they do a Baltic cruise in 2015. They want the free laundry before the Europe cruise. More power to them. I'd do it if it were me. I often cruise solo and was happy that they recognize that I often pay the same for my cruise as what it costs for two people. While I don't just cruise with Princess for the loyalty benefits they do make a difference when I'm figuring out how much I'm paying on another cruise line versus what I'm paying and getting on a Princess cruise. Often the Princess cruise and the benefits make a difference. They know what they're doing.

If it was up to me I'd say it should be the number of days, but I'm not upset by the idea of someone booking 15 - 3 day cruises. Who would want to do that anyway? I'm sure there are some people who only book suites who think they should have a higher category than those who only book insides. It's a loyalty program and Princess is trying to encourage all different kinds of travelers to become loyal to their product. I have a friend who recently did a South America cruise in a mini-suite and is now thinking of doing a 3 day cruise to bump up their status to Elite before they do a Baltic cruise in 2015. They want the free laundry before the Europe cruise. More power to them. I'd do it if it were me. I often cruise solo and was happy that they recognize that I often pay the same for my cruise as what it costs for two people. While I don't just cruise with Princess for the loyalty benefits they do make a difference when I'm figuring out how much I'm paying on another cruise line versus what I'm paying and getting on a Princess cruise. Often the Princess cruise and the benefits make a difference. They know what they're doing.

I wonder if it will cost your friends more to get "free laundry" than it would have cost them to just send it out and pay for it.

I wonder if it will cost your friends more to get "free laundry" than it would have cost them to just send it out and pay for it.

LOL. Good point. I didn't want to go into the whole story and bore people. They're actually planning a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise of 2014 and plan to add a short cruise on as a B2B so they get the extra cruise credits before the Baltic in 2015. They live in LA, so no travel costs.

That's not really the point. Becoming Elite, or Platinum, is a door opener, and the benefits keep coming with each successive cruise, and that is the point.

unless you think this discussion point is pointless... :confused:

We have found that the laundry itself is enabling us to pack less and pay less to the airlines that get us to the cruise.

depends on where you live, would you really be able to take advantage of the 2 or 3 day cruises.

for example, we live in Vancouver. There are times when we need to be down in Seattle or LAX for a work seminar. Rather than drive down to SEA for instance, we cruise down, then take the train back.

For LAX, we cruise down for 2-3 days, then we attend the seminar, and fly back.

and having the laundry perk, means carry on only for us. Saves time and Money.

The perks offered by a cruise line can add up. We did a b2b2b around South America earlier this year on the Grand Princess. It was 19/13/17 days. We are Elite. Here is what I figure we got:

FCC - $150/100/150 each = 800

Shareholder $250/100/250 per cabin = 600

Loyalty - $25 per cabin = 75

Mini bar setups - $50 per leg = $150

Laundry - 200 per leg = $600

Wine tasting - $10 per person/per leg = 60

Adds to $2285. Not an insignificant amount

I'd cruise anyway but the perks are very nice. To use Paul's example, here are the perks I'm getting for my Royal cruise in October:

TA = $50

FCC = $150

Shareholder = $250

Loyalty = $25

Mini-bar exchanged for soda = $30

Laundry (estimate) = $150

Internet = $100

======

$755

Not inconsiderable. And that's not taking into account 10% off anything from the shops.

Thanks Pam and Paul for posting these figures. Very interesting when you see it all laid out.

Why would I care what other people did to get their status.

I have my status and like it becase of the free internet. I did not get it so I can feel superior to those who dont have it.

I have a question. It may already have been answered, but please bear with me in case I missed it.

I understand that a person traveling in a cabin alone gets two credits for one cruise, but does that person also get credit for twice the number of days that comprise the trip?

I understand that a person traveling in a cabin alone gets two credits for one cruise, but does that person also get credit for twice the number of days that comprise the trip?
No. But they usually have the "pleasure" of paying twice the per-person fare.

be it cruises taken or sea days does it really matter . some wont like the way its set up .

my opinion is when passengers get to 500 sea days princess should give thema free weeks cruise . now thats an incentive for loyalty cruising

before you cruicify me 32 cruises and 279 days so loyal to princess and dont care about the freebies i cruise because i love the line

Archived