Your opinion: going through the rings of Captain's Circle

Bimmer babe

To get to Elite, you have to go on 15 Princess cruises or 150 days of sailing. This being the case, that means someone could go on 15 3-day cruises (45 sailing days) and be considered Elite. What is your opinion:

a) keep it the way it is now

b) make it the number of days that count toward each level

c) make it the number of cruises that count toward each level

Another cruise line uses the number of cruise days to go from one level to another--seems to me much fairer.

I think it should be a combination, but different than now. Someone who takes a few very long cruises should get elite status quickly since the cost per night is about the same, but number of cruises could also reduce the number of days needed. I would propose an option “d)” that is below

- 15 cruise and at least 110 days ( assumes all cruises are at least 7 days)

Or

- 150 days of sailing

This would allow people taking 7 day cruises to get status almost as quickly as they do now, but also allow those people who can take longer cruises to still get status early and not have to take 15 cruises. If creating an option “d)” is not allowed, then I would vote for “B” and only count number of days.

I do think it is good that single travellers and those in suites should get double credit and would want this to continue since they pay more than double than some people.

Another argument could be made to base it on fare paid. In that way, people who pay a low fare for an inside move up slower than someone who pays a lot more for a balcony, mini-suite, or full suite. They could also factor in on board spending so that people who spend more on board get additional credit. I think this would be too complicated and controversial, but it would reward people who spend more money with the cruise line.

It's not really about the level you acquire, but whether you like the product. (disclosure, I'm Elite with Princess with over 150 days cruising). My opinion is that you might as well be elite if you cruise 15 times, period. If you do 15 three day cruises (again, opinion here – why would any Princess cruiser want to do 15 three day cruises????), then you must like Princess and you should be elite. On the flipside, if you do five 30 day cruises, you must like Princess too – and you should be elite. However, not everyone who likes Princess can afford five 30 day cruises – and 3 day might be all they can manage.

Honestly, my DW and I, along with our two 20's something children, love Princess – and that is why we cruise with them. Would I still if you had to wait an arbitrary 30 cruises or 300 days at sea or whatever? You bet – because we love the product and service. Maybe you should have to be a stock holder to become elite (again – disclosure, we own more than 100 shares). That would actually make more sense.

In any case – it’s a Princess program and I support Princess – so, 15 cruises or 150 days and you too get a Black cruise key. Stay for the product (Princess Cruise Line) and enjoy the added benefits they provide for loyalty (longevity, stock, military, on-board purchase, etc).

I am Elite and reached it a few years ago by days cruised. I had 11 cruises at that time.

That said, it really doesn't matter to me. If someone takes 15 three day cruises, I figure they missed out on the extra 105 days that I got to enjoy.

Another cruise line uses the number of cruise days to go from one level to another--seems to me much fairer.

"Fairer" has nothing to do with it. The entire Captains Circle program (Gold, Ruby, Platinum, and Elite) is a marketing program designed by Princess to sell more cruises. Princess has designed it to build loyalty in order to keep people coming back. If someone sells on a bunch of short cruises to get to Elite quicker, Princess sells those cruises - and gets a loyal customer.

My brother is Ruby after completing his third cruise (taking many years to do it). He cruises other lines and has no particular loyalty to Princess. Two of his three Princess cruises were family cruises that I scheduled - he did not choose the cruise line. He recently received a letter from Princess inviting him to go on a couple of short cruises so that he could get to Platinum. If he does so, Princess doesn't care about the "fairness". After those two short cruises, he may become loyal to Princess - that is what they're after.

We have cruised with a few different lines but always come back to Princess. Once we were Platinum, we stayed with Princess and will become Elite in January. Due to vacation/work schedules, we could only take 7 or 10 day cruises, one per year. We enjoy cruising with Princess each and every time. So, no matter how you get there, the bottom line is that Princess provides an excellent product which keeps you wanting more.:)

Personally I think if you are sailing a line just for a few free drinks, some free internet and some free laundry you are selling yourself short. I am platinum but have yet to sail platinum because my last cruise was on Celebrity strictly for itinerary. At this point in our life we can only sail 7 to 10 day cruises in the Caribbean. The Caribbean itineraries that Princess is offering are lacking. Three ports with one being Princess Cay is not worth my time and money. The new Royal Princess seems to be a step backwards not offering ocean view staterooms and small balconies with uncomfortable furniture. I will continue to monitor itinerary and price and make my decisions based on that and that alone. On our last trip we were able to find hot spots without trying so the free internet that is slow and inconsistent on the ship isn't even a perk any more. I'm also not interested in free laundry as we rather do our own. The rest of the perks are just feel good perks that don't mean anything to us.

Total dollars spent (fare + onboard) would be a way to go, but if we saw all we spent on cruises over the years we might think twice:eek:

I agree, that would be the fairest. That 50 -150 day stretch (from platinum to elite) is a long road, and it only took us 6 years to get there.

Perhaps some token of loyalty at 100 days would give more incentive.

I've never found anything in life to be particularly "fair". I'm lucky to get to cruise at all. Maybe someday we'll reach a higher level but, for now, we are just thankful that we can cruise although we would like to do it more often. Work and finances dictate when and how often we can cruise.

We've done a 10 day and a 15 day. We have a little 4 day scheduled for May and are hoping to squeeze in something longer before that. 4 days isn't long enough for me but it's better than nothing and the PVSA keeps us from making that one longer.

I really don't worry about how "fair" the policy is. I'd love a black card but I sure had fun with the blue one and the gold one. :D

a) keep it the way it is now

b) make it the number of days that count toward each level

c) make it the number of cruises that count toward each level

d) money spent :)

The real purpose of Captain's Circle levels is to get passengers to return to Princess. With the real purpose in mind choice "d" doesn't fit very well, but under current guidelines passengers that book suites or pay single passenger supplements get double points. So in some ways money spent is rewarded now. Choice "b" seems the most balanced, but is fairness to all passengers the real goal? I don't think so. As long as the cost of the perks provided translate and are balanced to the profits of the line, then who gets them or how fair they may seem to others doesn't seem to be too important for the business model.

I'm sure this subject is under constant evaluation and Princess will make whatever changes it feels will improve their business. I do feel a good case can be made for a level above Elite, to give those passengers extra incentives to return rather than try other lines. Many Elite status past passengers also have top reward levels on other lines, thus the competition for their business is ongoing.

I'm not sure "fair" is worth discussing in regards to a marketing strategy. I like cruising with Princess. I enjoy their itineraries. I'm platinum now and hope to reach elite in the future because I enjoy cruising on Princess. I simply don't even consider the fairness or unfairness of any situation.

Total dollars spent (fare + onboard) would be a way to go, but if we saw all we spent on cruises over the years we might think twice:eek:
I strongly disagree. You would penalize anyone booking the Royal vs. the Crown, for instance since pricing is so much higher on the Royal. Or anyone booking through a TA since you get a discount that way. And, how would Princess calculate the cost of the cruise since they don't care how much a TA discounts? Or the amount spent onboard since I might spent $600 but have $550 in OBC. Way too complicated.

Whenever you market something or set up a loyalty program, the term "KISS" applies: keep it simple. I think it should be based on # of days.

Interesting to read the comments but quite frankly I'm not sure that the benefits are all that great anyway and certainly are not so great as to make me do a cruise just so I can move from one level to another. Just remember also that the benefits are ever only worthwhile if you use them anyway. Just love the experience of cruising.:)

Personally I think if you are sailing a line just for a few free drinks, some free internet and some free laundry you are selling yourself short. I am platinum but have yet to sail platinum because my last cruise was on Celebrity strictly for itinerary. At this point in our life we can only sail 7 to 10 day cruises in the Caribbean. The Caribbean itineraries that Princess is offering are lacking. Three ports with one being Princess Cay is not worth my time and money. The new Royal Princess seems to be a step backwards not offering ocean view staterooms and small balconies with uncomfortable furniture. I will continue to monitor itinerary and price and make my decisions based on that and that alone. On our last trip we were able to find hot spots without trying so the free internet that is slow and inconsistent on the ship isn't even a perk any more. I'm also not interested in free laundry as we rather do our own. The rest of the perks are just feel good perks that don't mean anything to us.

Agree with you on ltd choices of itineraries on Princess cruises in the Caribbean. Which cruise line offers better itineraries? We are reaching our Platinum level on cruise in the next week but really like Caribbean cruises and have done the itineraries we like on Princess.

Thanks

The perks offered by a cruise line can add up. We did a b2b2b around South America earlier this year on the Grand Princess. It was 19/13/17 days. We are Elite. Here is what I figure we got:

FCC - $150/100/150 each = 800

Shareholder $250/100/250 per cabin = 600

Loyalty - $25 per cabin = 75

Mini bar setups - $50 per leg = $150

Laundry - 200 per leg = $600

Wine tasting - $10 per person/per leg = 60

Adds to $2285. Not an insignificant amount

To get to Elite, you have to go on 15 Princess cruises or 150 days of sailing. This being the case, that means someone could go on 15 3-day cruises (45 sailing days) and be considered Elite. What is your opinion?

"

My brother is Ruby after completing his third cruise (taking many years to do it).....He recently received a letter from Princess inviting him to go on a couple of short cruises so that he could get to Platinum.

Obviously Princess, by sending that letter, thinks taking short cruises is a good way to get higher status. Princess does not think that someone doing this is gaming the system.

I would like to see a level above elite....something to shoot for

Royal Caribbean's top level starts when you have completed 700 days.

Be careful what you ask for. If there is a higher level, it could be that some of the better Elite benefits will only be awarded to that new level and Elite will thus get less benefits than now.

Agree with you on ltd choices of itineraries on Princess cruises in the Caribbean. Which cruise line offers better itineraries? We are reaching our Platinum level on cruise in the next week but really like Caribbean cruises and have done the itineraries we like on Princess.

Thanks

I agree...I was so psyched when I saw Princess had a 9 day caribbean itinerary next december...then I realized it really doesn't go anywhere...

Interesting to read the comments but quite frankly I'm not sure that the benefits are all that great anyway and certainly are not so great as to make me do a cruise just so I can move from one level to another. Just remember also that the benefits are ever only worthwhile if you use them anyway. Just love the experience of cruising.:)
I'd cruise anyway but the perks are very nice. To use Paul's example, here are the perks I'm getting for my Royal cruise in October:

TA = $50

FCC = $150

Shareholder = $250

Loyalty = $25

Mini-bar exchanged for soda = $30

Laundry (estimate) = $150

Internet = $100

======

$755

Not inconsiderable. And that's not taking into account 10% off anything from the shops.

Archived