Your opinion: going through the rings of Captain's Circle

Bimmer babe

I feel it should be based on number of days sailed on Princess, as a few others have stated too. Either way (days or cruise), I'm Platinum now. But I feel my last three cruises (14 or 15 day ones) should count more than someone who went on three 3-day cruises.

As for benefits, the Internet credit would be great (for checking my email, etc., but it would be nice if it's faster than snail-pace). Free laundry isn't important to us as I trust doing my own laundry more than I would a laundry service when it comes to not ruining/shrinking my clothes. Plus I can use our allergen-free detergent which wouldn't be an option with the ship's service.

I have envied the west coast cruisers because we have not had those short cruises available on the east coast (FL). If I still lived in CA I'd be elite by now!

I keep coming back because I'm happy with the product. But I'll admit the idea of becoming platinum factored into my up coming B2B.

Internet is an amazing benefit!

For every hypothetical person getting 15 cruises with 3 day cruises there are also people like someone I met who travels single on ~15 day cruises, he did 2 cruises and had 60 days already and was at Platinum level on his 3rd cruise (aside, 15 day single in a suite would be 45 days credited right?).

As for earning methodology, I like Princess' "OR" approach, # cruise OR # of days. It gives people taking lots of cruises rewards AND rewards people who book longer cruises without favoring one style over the other.

I would instead argue that with the new Ruby level, the gap between platinum and elite seems to be an even wider chasm. A tier around 10 cruises/100 days would be a helpful inspiration.

(disclosure: we will be Platinum after our Ruby cruise in January.)

All the preferred methods seem to assume twin share.

I will reach Elite at the completion of my next cruise which will be 15 cruise credits for 82 days and only half my cruises have been on Princess.

I travel solo, pay almost the same as 2 people but my days dont get doubled.

All the preferred methods seem to assume twin share.

I will reach Elite at the completion of my next cruise which will be 15 cruise credits for 82 days and only half my cruises have been on Princess.

I travel solo, pay almost the same as 2 people but my days dont get doubled.

Perhaps to those who believe it us too easy to reach Elite and that the number of Elites on some cruises are so high that it impacts on your perks, I would suggest a quota or limit be placed, say no more than 20% of pax can be Elite. Thoughts?

As I mentioned earlier, interesting comments and it has also been interesting to read of the benefits which have been listed by the various cruisers. I would question though whether ALL those benefits are as a result of moving from one level to another. Surely any shareholding in Carnival has nothing to do with my cruising preferences or the level I am on. I also mention again that you have to use the benefits to gain from them.:)

For every hypothetical person getting 15 cruises with 3 day cruises there are also people like someone I met who travels single on ~15 day cruises, he did 2 cruises and had 60 days already and was at Platinum level on his 3rd cruise (aside, 15 day single in a suite would be 45 days credited right?). Wrong. It would be 15 days and three cruise credits as a single in a suite. So after two cruises like that he would have 30 days and six cruise credits which would make him platinum for the third cruise.

I would instead argue that with the new Ruby level, the gap between platinum and elite seems to be an even wider chasm. A tier around 10 cruises/100 days would be a helpful inspiration. The only benefits tied to the Ruby level are a chance to spend more $$$ to get a benefit.

see above in red

I'd cruise anyway but the perks are very nice. To use Paul's example, here are the perks I'm getting for my Royal cruise in October:

TA = $50

FCC = $150

Shareholder = $250

Loyalty = $25

Mini-bar exchanged for soda = $30

Laundry (estimate) = $150

Internet = $100

======

$755

Not inconsiderable. And that's not taking into account 10% off anything from the shops.

The first 3 listed are nice perks indeed but not part the program being discussed here.

The first 3 listed are nice perks indeed but not part the program being discussed here.
True. But I'll still be getting over $300 (or more) value in real dollars. These are the perks I use. I don't do the wine tasting or some of the other perks. It adds up.

I'd cruise anyway but the perks are very nice. To use Paul's example, here are the perks I'm getting for my Royal cruise in October:

TA = $50

FCC = $150

Shareholder = $250

Loyalty = $25

Internet = $100

======

$755

Not inconsiderable. And that's not taking into account 10% off anything from the shops.

I don't think I understand the "Loyalty" perk. How/when does that kick in?

When Princess initiated the system it was based on number of cruises and provided multiple cruise credit for the longer (e.g. 12 day cruise) itineraries. The gold/platinum/elite system did away with that accounting which seemed to be unfair to passengers who regularly booked long cruises, and went to the "a cruise is one cruise" method. Counting number of days at sea as an alternate method of accounting toward loyalty levels brought some of the "fairness" back to the system.

I'm happy with the way it is. If someone wants to play the system with numerous short cruises, that's their problem and prerogative, as they will lose out on the relaxation of longer cruises.

The loyalty benefits have helped in our decision whether to cruise Princess or another line, so for our case this marketing strategy has worked. ;)

Each cruise line has "tweaked" their loyalty program to attract people. Cruisers are influenced by different things, and each program will attract certain people, but not all.

I think if Princess sees that their program is not as effective as the other lines, they will make changes.

Personally, I like it the way it is, and also like some of the things other lines are doing. When I got close to Elite on Princess, it did influence my cruise choices, so I consider the program effective.

TA = $50

FCC = $150

Shareholder = $250

Loyalty = $25

Internet = $100

======

$755

I knew I was missing something. I forgot the internet credit.

For every hypothetical person getting 15 cruises with 3 day cruises there are also people like someone I met who travels single on ~15 day cruises, he did 2 cruises and had 60 days already and was at Platinum level on his 3rd cruise (aside, 15 day single in a suite would be 45 days credited right?).

As for earning methodology, I like Princess' "OR" approach, # cruise OR # of days. It gives people taking lots of cruises rewards AND rewards people who book longer cruises without favoring one style over the other.

I would instead argue that with the new Ruby level, the gap between platinum and elite seems to be an even wider chasm. A tier around 10 cruises/100 days would be a helpful inspiration.

The solo and suite bonuses only apply to cruise credits. You do not get double or triple days.

After 20 cruises, I think. It's based on the number of cruises, not days.

Completion of 20 - 30 cruises $25 onboard cabin credit

Completion of 31 - 40 cruises $50 onboard cabin credit

Completion of 41 - 50 cruises $75 onboard cabin credit

Completion of 50+ cruises $100 onboard cabin credit

40 Most-Traveled Passengers on voyages of 7 days or more

Captain's luncheon or party with a free photo delivered to your cabin

Special menu prepared by the Executive Chef

Meet and visit with many of the Senior Officers

Top 3 Most-Traveled Passengers

Destination crystal - depicting the itinerary

Bottle of Champagne

Honored during the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party

I don't think I understand the "Loyalty" perk. How/when does that kick in?

The Loyalty OBC starts after you have 20 cruise credits. If you have:

20 to 31 = $25

32-41 = 50

42-51 = 75

52 or more = 100.

If is based on number of cruise credit at the beginning of the cruise

Agree with you on ltd choices of itineraries on Princess cruises in the Caribbean. Which cruise line offers better itineraries? We are reaching our Platinum level on cruise in the next week but really like Caribbean cruises and have done the itineraries we like on Princess.

Thanks

I found that Celebrity is a close match to Princess with a step down for food. But I did like our room on Celebrity better than any Princess room we stayed in. They still sail out of San Juan for Southern itineraries on one of the older ships which is still in good condition. I am currently looking at a 10 day Southern Caribbean itinerary in 2015 on the Royal Princess. The only problem is they only offer one sail date and I don't know if that will work for me this far out.

My brother is Ruby after completing his third cruise (taking many years to do it). He cruises other lines and has no particular loyalty to Princess. Two of his three Princess cruises were family cruises that I scheduled - he did not choose the cruise line. He recently received a letter from Princess inviting him to go on a couple of short cruises so that he could get to Platinum. If he does so, Princess doesn't care about the "fairness". After those two short cruises, he may become loyal to Princess - that is what they're after.

Sounds like Princess is having a tough time booking those over priced 4 and 5 day itineraries. I wouldn't be surprised because I don't think Princess has the demographic that sail short cruises. If anything the Princess passenger wants longer itineraries. Even myself, who has limited time is looking for at least 10 day itineraries.

True. But I'll still be getting over $300 (or more) value in real dollars. These are the perks I use. I don't do the wine tasting or some of the other perks. It adds up.

True Any perk is a good one and as you say there are others such as embarkation/disembarkation lounges, circle party etc. but I would argue that many (like me) would not pay for the laundry service if it was not included, but instead pay the $4 per load (plus your time) at the self serve laundry so that would be the "real dollar" savings.

The real value of internet service is also questionable as many land based hotels/resorts include this free. Yes, I know that the ship service is a different animal but still overpriced (IMHO). If not part of the Captains Circle package I would do without it.

We continue to cruise Princess for the fine product and service they offer at a reasonable price, any perks no matter how you value them are just a bonus:D

Interesting topic and one that can be debated for days as whether the loyalty program is fair. Princess rewards loyal passengers. If someone takes 15 "3" day cruises, are they loyal to Princess? I would say yes. There are other lines they could choose for the those 15 cruises. How one obtains the loyalty status has no bearing on how/when I will obtain that status. I personally would not want to take only 3 day cruises as they are just not long enough. However, if it works for others let them go for it. With that being said I will obtain Platinum status after cruising a 3-day in November. Decided to sneak in a short cruise before the mad rush of the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday and before our 10-day in March. I will appreciate not having to pay for internet service as I know I will need to check work email a few times during the cruise. Who knows maybe I will even do a "live from the Grand" :D

40 Most-Traveled Passengers on voyages of 7 days or more

Captain's luncheon or party with a free photo delivered to your cabin

Special menu prepared by the Executive Chef

Meet and visit with many of the Senior Officers

Top 3 Most-Traveled Passengers

Destination crystal - depicting the itinerary

Bottle of Champagne

Honored during the Captain's Circle Cocktail Party

The 40 most traveled and the top 3 most traveled are based on days. If there is a tie in days, then the number of cruise credits is the tiebreaker.

The 40 most traveled and the top 3 most traveled are based on days. If there is a tie in days, then the number of cruise credits is the tiebreaker.

Wondering-----

anyone ever have a tie????

Archived