Monday Marmaris, Turkey

Tuesday Rhodes, Greece

Wednesday At Sea

Thursday Ashdod, Israel

Friday Ashdod, Israel

Saturday Larnaca, Cyprus

Sunday Alanya, Turkey

Monday Marmaris, Turkey

I know its several months ahead, but I was interested in Jewels of the Mediterranean out of Sharm el Sheik (late February) largely for the Suez canal transit passage.

There are no other Egyptian ports of call, so I wonder how Thomsons might call this one if the situation there has not settled by the turn of the year.

In light of the FCO travel advice, Thomson Cruises has changed its itinerary for an Egypt & the Holy Land voyage on the Thomson Celebration vessel starting next Monday.

Have not said where to :confused:

http://news.sky.com/story/1129400/eg...red-sea-hotels

Wonder if this is for the rest of the season or will it be assessed on a weekly basis. Wish Thomson would make things clearer.

People will be put off booking this cruise if they are unsure of the ports of call.

I know its several months ahead, but I was interested in Jewels of the Mediterranean out of Sharm el Sheik (late February) largely for the Suez canal transit passage.

There are no other Egyptian ports of call, so I wonder how Thomsons might call this one if the situation there has not settled by the turn of the year.

If they cancel the Red Sea programme, then this repositioning cruise will also be cancelled. Will depend on where they decide to place Majesty for the season.

Wonder if this is for the rest of the season or will it be assessed on a weekly basis. Wish Thomson would make things clearer.

People will be put off booking this cruise if they are unsure of the ports of call.

Thomson will be monitoring things very closely, as well as taking advice from the Foreign Office, and those travelling in the immediate future will be told first.

Sadly this situation will not resolve itself overnight and it will be a logistical nightmare trying to keep both cruise passengers and land-based holidaymakers safe and up to date.

One good thing is that Thomson have their own planes which they will deploy to the area should an emergency arise, albeit other travellers may be disrupted, but customer safety is important to them.

All we can do is watch and wait and hope all goes well. At least we have the pleasure and luxury of being able to go on holiday, whereas they rely heavily on tourism, but some seem hell-bent on destroying their history and country.

Yes a sad situation but it's paramount that passengers' safety is the first priority. A shame though for people who booked especially to see some of the wonderful and iconic sights on this itinerary.

We had an overnight in Haifa (should have been Ashdod and Haifa) on a repositioning cruise and I must say how much we enjoyed going there. The excursions were fantastic - the only problem being trying to choose which to do as so many appealed.

apparently the suez canal uses a 'tidal flow' convoy system with ships in convoy either going north or south. Some of those convoys are during the night so you may not see the sands of the desert at all :(

I wonder if Thomson are taking any bookings for Red Sea Magic?

Apparently the Suez Canal is classed as one of the danger zones and only essential travel is recomended by the F.O. So the ship may not even get to the Red Sea this year.

For future reference though WCM we've been through the canal and it's a fantastic experience. Let's just hope things settle down soon.

If they cancel the Red Sea programme, then this repositioning cruise will also be cancelled. Will depend on where they decide to place Majesty for the season.

This is probably (almost certainly) a stupid question, but the Homer Simpson in me is thinking........won't Majesty be in the Red sea for the start of this repositioning cruise ?

So, if the Suez canal is not an option - it's helluva long way to Malaga going clockwise into the Med via the Horn of Africa !!! :confused:

This is probably (almost certainly) a stupid question, but the Homer Simpson in me is thinking........won't Majesty be in the Red sea for the start of this repositioning cruise ?

So, if the Suez canal is not an option - it's helluva long way to Malaga going clockwise into the Med via the Horn of Africa !!! :confused:

Majesty doesn't reposition to the Red Sea until 11th December (Red Sea & the Holy Land) so it will depend on what the situation is then as to whether it moves to the Red Sea or stays in the Med I should imagine.

Malc.

We were on the Majesty cruise doing the Red Sea going out Boxing Day - 26th December 2013 - had phone call from TA to say that the cruise had been cancelled and that the ship was going in to dry dock - so on the hunt for a cruise at Christmas :(

So it's going into dry dock? In other words, given back to Louis. So that means Thomson will have a two ship fleet for the winter? :eek:

Quite surprised. Expected them to ditch the Red Sea itineraries, but definitely thought they would place the ship somewhere else and not just give it back to Louis for three months.

majesty seems to have disappeared off the itineraries from november thru to march:eek:

just dream in caribbean and celebration in canaries

I was booked on Red Sea Wonders departing 23rd of January. I haven't heard anything from Thomson and have log on to My Thomson which is saying 155 days before we go. I have checked Thomson website and the Majesty has totaly disapeared. TA is top of my list for a frank discussion tomorrow!!!!

:confused:

majesty seems to have disappeared off the itineraries from november thru to march:eek:

just dream in caribbean and celebration in canaries

Just as well we are already booked for Caribbean then, Geo. :) I cannot see there being many last minute cruises on Thomson this year if only 2 ships sailing. I feel very sorry for those people whose cruises have been cancelled though. :(. Also for the crew who may be out of a job for months.

It's not really surprising as I think the situation there is unst increasingly unstable. I'd be a little worried about going to be honest so would be pleased to get a refund. Apart from those who had already booked, I reckon they would have trouble filling the ship up as I can't see many people signing up just now.

Sorry about all those people who have lost holidays - hope you all find something else to look forward to. :) Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't want to go at the moment either. The steward at our club is due to go to Sharm El Sheikh soon and she doesn't want to go. The trouble is that if the FCO say that it is safe to go she will lose all her money if she cancels.

A bad situation for holiday makers, but a much more terrible situation for all the Egyptian people, especially those who's livelihoods depend on tourism.

yep...v disappointing (devastating) for those booked on majesty...and for the crew

I'm guessing that thoms just couldnt sell this itinerary? I dont think FO has changed its advice, or, possibly the suez canal transit was the problem?

wonder whythey couldn't redeploy majesty somewhere else?

this could put pressure on dream & celebration this winter?

Majesty doesn't reposition to the Red Sea until 11th December (Red Sea & the Holy Land) so it will depend on what the situation is then as to whether it moves to the Red Sea or stays in the Med I should imagine.

Malc.

Malc,

Reading the next post down from yours - it looks like Jewels of the Mediterranean will be a knock on effect casualty of the cancellation of Majesty's repositioning cruise to the Red Sea in December.

Looks like Thomsons have gone for the early on/off decision which is difficult to criticise in the current circumstances.

I'm guessing it wasn’t economically viable? to re-deploy majesty on something like ancient wonders? or pharaohs & promised land (without the pharaohs bit)?

just noticed availability for celebration christmas week has plummeted? and christmas week on dream appears to be completely sold out? (although they seem to have availability for 2 weeks)??

Archived