Thomson change Egypt cruise

:mad:OMG , I just thought I check the price on my holiday and the holiday has changed on the internet, No one has informed me , I booked with Thomson shop, Plus the change means the holiday is now £700 cheaper from what I've booked. I will not be happy if I get £50.00 obc as it only 2 off us, I want the complete difference in the price off the holiday.

I be in there kicking off on Friday, or I want a full refund, I booked my holiday before the Egypt thing kicked off. :mad:

If that is the case, won't it just be cheaper to cancel & re-book?

:mad:OMG , I just thought I check the price on my holiday and the holiday has changed on the internet, No one has informed me , I booked with Thomson shop, Plus the change means the holiday is now £700 cheaper from what I've booked. I will not be happy if I get £50.00 obc as it only 2 off us, I want the complete difference in the price off the holiday.

I be in there kicking off on Friday, or I want a full refund, I booked my holiday before the Egypt thing kicked off. :mad:

I sympathise...its the dilemma of many a cruiser: book late and take a chance on availability and maybe get a bargain, or book early and secure exactly what you want at the lead in price

tbh...its not unusual for the price of a/any cruise to go down (sometimes a lot) a few weeks before departure....its all about availability...if they have lots of availability (for whatever reason) then the price will drop

ditto for low availability...the price will go up (sometimes eye wateringly)

also you have to factor in the free ai for early booking...if you were to book now you would have to pay for it (the free ai is not really free just included in the fare for the 1st few weeks that they go on sale) that would come in at about £400 for 2 per week

the egypt thing has probably created a lot of extra availability close to sailing on these particular itineraries...so yes some bargains to be had for late bookers but also some very disappointed early bookers.......nobody could have known about the egypt troubles and its not anyones fault (many have had their holidays completely cancelled)....but it's not unusual for this to happen on any itinerary or land holiday for that matter

I sympathise...its the dilemma of many a cruiser: book late and take a chance on availability and maybe get a bargain, or book early and secure exactly what you want at the lead in price

tbh...its not unusual for the price of a/any cruise to go down (sometimes a lot) a few weeks before departure....its all about availability...if they have lots of availability (for whatever reason) then the price will drop

ditto for low availability...the price will go up (sometimes eye wateringly)

also you have to factor in the free ai for early booking...if you were to book now you would have to pay for it (the free ai is not really free just included in the fare for the 1st few weeks that they go on sale) that would come in at about £400 for 2 per week

the egypt thing has probably created a lot of extra availability close to sailing on these particular itineraries...so yes some bargains to be had for late bookers but also some very disappointed early bookers.......nobody could have known about the egypt troubles and its not anyones fault (many have had their holidays completely cancelled)....but it's not unusual for this to happen on any itinerary or land holiday for that matter

Yes this is my reading of the situation too. It's one of those circumstances which I'm sure is covered by the small print in the contact. There are times when we suspect changes might have been made for commercial reasons but in this case Thomson are having to respond to a political situation beyond their control. The problem is one of security, FO advice to stay away and having no choice. I bet for a start none of our insurance policies would hold up if we rolled up into areas of such unrest. I for one would be very relieved to have the itinerary changed!

As for the price drop that's something we're all subject to - as geo points out you either book early to secure just what you want, often with 'benefits' (subsumed within the price) or wait and hope for a good deal which suits you. We've done both - booked early, got free AI and enjoyed it also booked late and got some bargains. But we've also seen a cruise we've been tracking shoot up when I was expecting it to go down, hesitated for a few days and it was gone. We've just recently booked a good deal but our friends booked yesterday and got it £200 cheaper! You just have to be aware of the possibilities, weigh up what works for you and decide if you are prepared to take a risk. After we book I just look forward to the cruise as there's no pleasure in the anticipation of the holiday if I keep dwelling on what might have been.

But I do sympathise with the disappointment felt by anyone who especially booked to go to Egypt but sadly that looks to be off the radar for some time now. The replacement itinerary looks a good one so I just hope everyone affected will enjoy the ports of call.

Yikes - how early did you book? We booked in Sept 2012 for Oct 2013 and pricing with AI today still shows we were 35GPB cheaper per person and with the 50GBP credit - 85GPB cheaper per person. :) That pricing is for cruise only. Maybe it is the last minute flight included pricing that is making such a difference fr you? :confused:

For cruise-only, I was following the pricing all year after booking, and with AI pricing in, it never seemed to change much over the last year.

Yikes - how early did you book? We booked in Sept 2012 for Oct 2013 and pricing with AI today still shows we were 35GPB cheaper per person and with the 50GBP credit - 85GPB cheaper per person. :) That pricing is for cruise only. Maybe it is the last minute flight included pricing that is making such a difference fr you? :confused:

For cruise-only, I was following the pricing all year after booking, and with AI pricing in, it never seemed to change much over the last year.

We booked in April 2013 for May 2014 , Cruise and stay holiday, If we keep our holiday it would better to re-book cause of price, But I don't like the ports off call now, I hate Rhodes , So this is the extra port now. I think I look aswell

before you cancel check the cancellation policy as Thomsons has offered you alternative port, even if this is not to your liking you may not get all your money back, they may allow an alternative cruise just be careful with cancelling as may only get a small cash refund.

Archived