Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

Thanks again Patti. Great detective work.

I really don't want the 'upgrade'. My current interest rate is 7.99% and from what I've found the rate on the new card is 12.99%! We always pay off the full balance, but one month the amount was wrong we got charged interest. It's not much but the rate has increased over 50%.

No reason to get worked up over something that hasn't happened yet, but something to double check if it does happen.

One month without payment in full at those interest rates can negate any points earned for the entire year.

Their pattern over the past few years has been to run them quarterly. The current one started in July and runs through September. I expect there will be a new one that starts in October and runs through the end of the year. If we don't get an email at the start of October, we'll just go out to their promotions website and check at the beginning of the month.

To check whether there's a promo running, and if your card qualifies, go to this link:

https://easyrewards.bankofamerica.com/

Thanks for the link. My card qualifies for an offer on back to school purchases. My wife is a teacher, so we'll probably meet the requirements! Link is bookmarked to check quarterly.

Thanks again!

Their pattern over the past few years has been to run them quarterly. The current one started in July and runs through September. I expect there will be a new one that starts in October and runs through the end of the year. If we don't get an email at the start of October, we'll just go out to their promotions website and check at the beginning of the month.

To check whether there's a promo running, and if your card qualifies, go to this link:

https://easyrewards.bankofamerica.com/

Doesn't appear to work although we just received new cards so maybe we have to wait until October with the current card number. We were told that a company we used our card with had their information compromised so they had to issue new cards to everyone who had made purchases with that company. they didn't say what company it was.

One month without payment in full at those interest rates can negate any points earned for the entire year.

Good point, and it's often overlooked. If you get a 1% OBC rebate and get charged 1+% every single month. I guess it would ease the sting, but still.

You are all more than welcome. It was my pleasure and I'm glad that what I was told finally makes some sense!!:D

With 578 nights at sea per your signature, wish you had your list of past cruises in your signature. Enjoy seeing the ships / lines everyone has done. Although with your list may take a day or two just to read.

Good point, and it's often overlooked. If you get a 1% OBC rebate and get charged 1+% every single month. I guess it would ease the sting, but still.

You have a glass half full look at it. :) Mine was glass half empty. :mad: As you said, the points would ease the hurt of the interest.

Edited by mein18

With 578 nights at sea per your signature, wish you had your list of past cruises in your signature. Enjoy seeing the ships / lines everyone has done. Although with your list may take a day or two just to read.

Just for you.............

Past Cruises: Costa Victoria 11/96 ©; MN 11/97 ©; MN 5/98 ©; EN 11/98 ©; Westerdam 2/99 ©; VS 10/99 (PC); Dawn Princess 4/00 ©; Volendam 11/00 ©; LG 2/01(NZ/AUS); LG 2/02 (AUS/NZ); AD 10/02 ©; AD 11/02 ©; NV 4/03 ©; NV 5/03 ©; LG 10/03 (PC); RD 3/04 ©; RD 3/04 ©; Summit 9/04 (Alaska & Pac Coast); RD 4/05(PC); RD 5/05 (Pac Coast); JW 8/05 (Baltics); Sea Princess 4/06 ©; RD 9/06( Hawaii); RD 10/06 (PC); RD 4/07 (PC); RD 9/07 (Alaska & Pac Coast); SP 3/08 (SA); SP 4/08 (TA); RD 9/08 (Hawaii); RD 4/09 (BA-Chile); RD 4/09 (Chile-SD); RD 11/09 (MR); SR 4/10 ©; SR 4/10 ©; JW 9/10 (TA); EN 12/10 ©; EN 4/11 ©; EN 4/11 (B);RD 9/11 (HNL-SYD); RD 10/11 (SYD-Perth); RD 10/11 (Perth-SYD); RD 5/04, 5/11, 5/18/12 (Alaska);EN 6/12 (Bermuda/NE); JW 8/12 (Baltics); JW 8/12 (TA); BR 10/12 (Quebec R/T); BR 10/12 (Quebec to NJ); FR 12/12 ©; FR 12/12 ©; EN 3/13 (Bahamas) & 4/13 ©; VS 6/13 (Norwegian Fjords); VS 6/13 (Arctic Circle):

Dont know if someone already said this, but I got my new card in the mail, and it still has the Bank of America logo.

MBNA was acquired by Bank of America in 2006 and was renamed to FIA Card Services. Some of the BofA's cards had the serviced by FIA in small print. My last card didn't. Must be a marketing decision.

Hi,

I have had the Royal Caribbean Visa card since 2006 and have redeemed points in the past. Because I also like to cruise with Celebrity, I like the way that double points are now earned when taking Celebrity cruises and that points can be redeemed with Celebrity.

However, do you know how this will work with the shareholder onboard credit (I also own some Royal Caribbean stock) in the future?

For example, I have a 10-day cruise booked on the Legend of the Seas in an inside stateroom. Could I redeem 15,000 points for a $150 price reduction and receive the $200 shareholder onboard credit?

Thanks,

Chuck

Just spoke to Redemption Center and I got someone who actually gave me some information that makes sense.

OBC ~~ The information listed under Rewards Options when it refers to OBC is incorrect and will be corrected. You will still be able to redeem points for a $50, $100, $150 and $200 OBC and use it on any RCI cruise (as well as Celebrity/Azamara). This was not listed before. Seems that there was a miscommunication between the Redemption Center and Marketing and they are in the process of getting that corrected!:eek:

Combining Points with C&A Benefits ~~ Yes you Can. If you have a balcony discount and an OBC from booking on board or using a C&A Certificate, you will still be able to redeem points and use it on that booking or any future booking. The only time that a balcony discount would not be applied is if you are booking a "free" cruise.....which kind of makes sense!:D

RCI will now have 2 credit cards, a Visa Platinum Plus and a Visa Signature. When someone is applying for either card for the first time, eligibility for a card will be determined by credit level. The reason for this, I was told, is because the Visa Signature has a lot more benefits available.

All those that currently have a Visa Platinum Plus card will automatically be enrolled in the Visa Signature Card program and receive new cards. You will keep the same account number and your points will automatically be transferred over to the new card.

The young lady that I spoke with did not give me a kick-off date. Guess there are a few more glitches to work out.

There is no annual fee for either card.

Thank you for the clarification! I guess I jumped the gun a bit in applying 50,000 points to an April cruise, but that's one less thing to remember to do!

I'm thrilled that I'll be able to use points on Celebrity!:)

Just spoke to Redemption Center and I got someone who actually gave me some information that makes sense.

OBC ~~ The information listed under Rewards Options when it refers to OBC is incorrect and will be corrected. You will still be able to redeem points for a $50, $100, $150 and $200 OBC and use it on any RCI cruise (as well as Celebrity/Azamara). This was not listed before. Seems that there was a miscommunication between the Redemption Center and Marketing and they are in the process of getting that corrected!:eek:

Combining Points with C&A Benefits ~~ Yes you Can. If you have a balcony discount and an OBC from booking on board or using a C&A Certificate, you will still be able to redeem points and use it on that booking or any future booking. The only time that a balcony discount would not be applied is if you are booking a "free" cruise.....which kind of makes sense!:D

RCI will now have 2 credit cards, a Visa Platinum Plus and a Visa Signature. When someone is applying for either card for the first time, eligibility for a card will be determined by credit level. The reason for this, I was told, is because the Visa Signature has a lot more benefits available.

All those that currently have a Visa Platinum Plus card will automatically be enrolled in the Visa Signature Card program and receive new cards. You will keep the same account number and your points will automatically be transferred over to the new card.

The young lady that I spoke with did not give me a kick-off date. Guess there are a few more glitches to work out.

Did they mention any thing about the senior or resident discount? Is it confirmed that if getting either of those discounts you could not use the obc option?

We have a cruise booked with Celebrity in April. Have free gratuaties from the 1-2-3 promo. Would we be able to use obc with that????? Sooo confusing....

Just for you.............

Past Cruises: Costa Victoria 11/96 ©; MN 11/97 ©; MN 5/98 ©; EN 11/98 ©; Westerdam 2/99 ©; VS 10/99 (PC); Dawn Princess 4/00 ©; Volendam 11/00 ©; LG 2/01(NZ/AUS); LG 2/02 (AUS/NZ); AD 10/02 ©; AD 11/02 ©; NV 4/03 ©; NV 5/03 ©; LG 10/03 (PC); RD 3/04 ©; RD 3/04 ©; Summit 9/04 (Alaska & Pac Coast); RD 4/05(PC); RD 5/05 (Pac Coast); JW 8/05 (Baltics); Sea Princess 4/06 ©; RD 9/06( Hawaii); RD 10/06 (PC); RD 4/07 (PC); RD 9/07 (Alaska & Pac Coast); SP 3/08 (SA); SP 4/08 (TA); RD 9/08 (Hawaii); RD 4/09 (BA-Chile); RD 4/09 (Chile-SD); RD 11/09 (MR); SR 4/10 ©; SR 4/10 ©; JW 9/10 (TA); EN 12/10 ©; EN 4/11 ©; EN 4/11 (B);RD 9/11 (HNL-SYD); RD 10/11 (SYD-Perth); RD 10/11 (Perth-SYD); RD 5/04, 5/11, 5/18/12 (Alaska);EN 6/12 (Bermuda/NE); JW 8/12 (Baltics); JW 8/12 (TA); BR 10/12 (Quebec R/T); BR 10/12 (Quebec to NJ); FR 12/12 ©; FR 12/12 ©; EN 3/13 (Bahamas) & 4/13 ©; VS 6/13 (Norwegian Fjords); VS 6/13 (Arctic Circle):

I apologize as this is off subject from this thread but I just have to say WOW and ask.... where have you not cruised and what was your favorite?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Doesn't appear to work although we just received new cards so maybe we have to wait until October with the current card number. We were told that a company we used our card with had their information compromised so they had to issue new cards to everyone who had made purchases with that company. they didn't say what company it was.

We had the same problem with a compromised card. The link doesn't find the new card number for us either ("record not found"), but that's probably because the old one is still "active" until the 21st to catch any lingering valid charges. I'd try again once you get a statement with the new number in use.

Did they mention any thing about the senior or resident discount? Is it confirmed that if getting either of those discounts you could not use the obc option?

We have a cruise booked with Celebrity in April. Have free gratuaties from the 1-2-3 promo. Would we be able to use obc with that????? Sooo confusing....

You will still be able to combine Visa Points with C&A benefits as well as price reductions from senior, residency, military, police/fire/EMT, unless there is a special promo that will not allow it.

You would have to call the Redemption Center for clarification on your Celebrity cruise 1-888-305-4626.

We had the same problem with a compromised card. The link doesn't find the new card number for us either ("record not found"), but that's probably because the old one is still "active" until the 21st to catch any lingering valid charges. I'd try again once you get a statement with the new number in use.

Already been through a cycle and our old number expired end of July and still didn't work. Will try again in a week or so.

Edited by mein18

I apologize as this is off subject from this thread but I just have to say WOW and ask.... where have you not cruised and what was your favorite?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

It's hard to pick out a favorite. Loved South America and absolutely can't get enough of Australia. Bali was just like you see it on TV with the huts over the water. Incredibly blue-green waters that are so clear.

We really thought the Fjords in Chile and New Zealand were beautiful, but after our cruise this past June on Vision to the Norwegian Fjords and Arctic Circle those 2 cruises absolutely outdid all of the other fjords we've been through.

Haven't been to the Far East so that is on the bucket list with a stop in several cities in Vietnam.

OK, now back to the subject at hand...........the new Visa Signature Card!!:D

I'm happy with the changes that will include Celebrity. We have a 14 day cruise booked on them next March and it will be nice to get double points for the purchases. We use this card for everything and save up the points for companion fares.

Thanks for the insight. So even though we have the Platinum, we are not losing any benefits. I always use my points for the companion fare. So based on what you are saying, even though I have a balcony discount, I can still do the points for the companion fare, right?

Would like to know whether we can combine senior or residency discounts -- i.e. hope the original rules are wrong on this.

You will still be able to combine Visa Points with C&A benefits as well as price reductions from senior, residency, military, police/fire/EMT, unless there is a special promo that will not allow it.

You would have to call the Redemption Center for clarification on your Celebrity cruise 1-888-305-4626.

Thanks Patti -- you just answered my question. The senior and residency promos really help us.