Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

If I'm reading this correctly, and I may not be since legal-eze confounds me, this looks GOOD to me. I typically use my points toward cruise discounts. 15,000 was already the minimum I could trade in and it remains so. The difference appears to be that now I can use those discounts on EITHER a Royal Caribbean OR a Celebrity cruise. GREAT news!

I've sometimes used left-over points (less than 15,000) for OBC, but usually I prefer to ROLL those over toward my NEXT cruise. So that isn't even really an issue for me.

The down-side is the not-combinable with C&A discounts, as I become eligible for my first balcony discount AFTER my next cruise. (But at Platinum, the discount isn't much.) I don't see that the rewards are non-combinable with NextCruise certificates, so that's good.

Unless I'm missing something...which is likely...it's kind of a non-issue for me.

I was told by the Redemption Center this afternoon that you will still be able to combine Visa Points with OBC from booking on board, Balcony Discounts or C&A Savings Certificates. There will be special C&A promos where you will not be able to combine them with........but, she had no idea at this time what those promos might be.

I just redeemed 15,000 points for OBC on my cruise setting out next weekend. So I have just under 15,000 left on my account.

It appears that from the new rules, I will not be able to redeem for OBC on Royal unless I have 25,000 points. However, with 15,000 points, I can get a credit on my fare of $150. When reading the rules, it does seem to indicate that you cannot combine with any C&A rewards (like balcony discounts or certificates) or with certain prices, like resident or senior.

So, given that I sail with my mom, she will be Diamond + and I will be Diamond after my upcoming cruise and she is a senior and we usually find a resident rate, it would appear that my almost 15,000 points are going to be useless to me unless I build up to 25,000.

I hate to lose the points, but I'm not sure this is going to be worthwhile to me in the long run. I have cashed out 10,000 points several times and hoped to do it again, but these new rules seem to make that impossible.

I was told by the Redemption Center this afternoon that you will still be able to combine Visa Points with OBC from booking on board, Balcony Discounts or C&A Savings Certificates. There will be special C&A promos where you will not be able to combine them with........but, she had no idea at this time what those promos might be.

That's great! If you were advised accurately (never an absolute certainty, as we all know!), there is really no down-side to the changes for me. I'm single and far from a big spender, so I use as many points as I can collect to discount the cost of my cruises. I can still do that. And now, I can do it on Celebrity too! I nearly booked a Celebrity cruise for 2014, but the deciding factor was that my cruise points made the Jewel the FAR less expensive option. I might have chosen Jewel regardless, but that really tipped the scales. Going forward, I'll look at BOTH lines! I've been wanting to try Celebrity anyway.

Good news!!

It seems like if they wouldn't allow you to use VISA reward points in combination with a balcony discount, there would be no incentive for me to keep the card. There are numerous other reward cards I could use to earn travel rewards.

You were right, I went to the redemption site and was able to redeem my points for OBC. It appears that that site does not match the links given here with the updates, but I would expect a mass mailing on the new terms and conditions with a date so everyone knows

I also have ncc obc also and it went through ok.

Edited by setsail

So if you take the balcony discount the points are useless.

MyCruiseRewards are available for redemption on any eligible Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean or Azamara cruise vacation but may not be combined with any other promotional offers and/or certain Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. MyCruise Rewards are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, RSale, CSale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates. Reward Redemptions may be used by individuals, participants in qualified group bookings, by single guests, and for use with third and fourth guest bookings. Reward redeemed items are also subject to the Special and General Terms and Conditions described below. (All dollar values shown below are U.S. dollars.)

It doesn't say that anywhere in your highlighted section, so I'm curious how you came to that conclusion?

You were right, I went to the redemption site and was able to redeem my points for OBC. It appears that that site does not match the links given here with the updates, but I would expect a mass mailing on the new terms and conditions with a date so everyone knows

Glad you were able to use your points.

Thanks for the info Patti.

I'm still skeptical. Are they just giving us 30 days notice and then they will change? ;)

I like BofA, but it looks like RCI is calling the redemption shots. It may be that the points redemption agents can't look at C&A discounts, but once they can you will lose them. Remember we used to be able to combine lots of discounts. Almost all of those combinations are long gone.

Just one more factor to complicate a redemption decision.

Did anyone get notice from Bank of America or Royal Caribbean about this change? I'd like to see it in hard copy or an email from either one because, as you know, we often get conflicting information over the phone.

It's on the RCI website with a date of August 1, 2013 http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5

Edited by cruisenfever

I also have ncc obc also and it went through ok.

Thankfully! I was planning on using points for my upcoming Allure cruise for which I already took the balcony discount. Dodged a bullet there. :eek:

Edited by Big_G

Royals site says this at the bottom of the page

This page is maintained by Royal Caribbean International, not FIA Card Services, N.A. This page was last updated by Royal Caribbean International on 8/13/2013. For more information about the costs and benefits associated with the various products offered by FIA Card Services, N.A., call (800) 932-2775.

So, its updated on the 13th, yet when you look at the rewards link it has the new rewards. When you go to the redemption link it still has the old stuff, which is different than the rewards link:confused: Interesting

Glad I went ahead and redeemed my points

Edited by setsail

Royals site says this at the bottom of the page

This page is maintained by Royal Caribbean International, not FIA Card Services, N.A. This page was last updated by Royal Caribbean International on 8/13/2013. For more information about the costs and benefits associated with the various products offered by FIA Card Services, N.A., call (800) 932-2775.

So, its updated on the 13th, yet when you look at the rewards link it has the new rewards. When you go to the redemption link it still has the old stuff, which is different than the rewards link:confused: Interesting

That's what the gal at the Redemption Center told me. The new Terms & Conditions are posted on line, but they are still honoring the old Terms & Conditions. :eek: Remember we are talking Royal Caribbean Inconsistency here!!:D

Thankfully! I was planning on using points for my upcoming Allure cruise for which I already took the balcony discount. Dodged a bullet there. :eek:

wow me too! I believe last week of July, I applied my $150 (15, 000) cruise discount to the cruise just before final payment. Wow...i would not have been happy if I had to have paid that.

Just redeemed points for $100 OBC for Grandeur 10/11/13 sailing. Hoping that I can redeem at end of month for another $50. After that I will cancel my card, if not combinable with stockholder credit, etc. Many other cards out there offering better promotions.

I've never been able to use the stock holder credit, which seems to be non-combinable with just about EVERYTHING.

The highlighted section did NOT seem to indicate that points would NOT be combinable with the balcony discount, NextCruise or Savings Certificates. The only thing specifically listed that I MIGHT otherwise take advantage of is a residency discount, and I've only managed to land that ONCE in my cruise career.

I know some people max out the OBC option and then cash out any left-over OBC at the conclusion of the cruise. I suppose that is almost like a cash-back reward. However, if you maximize the cruise discount or choose the free cruise options, this change really only negatively impacts people wanting to book the newer ships.

MyCruiseRewards are available for redemption on any eligible Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean or Azamara cruise vacation but may not be combined with any other promotional offers and/or certain Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. MyCruise Rewards are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, RSale, CSale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates.

Assuming that I quoted the right section to which you were referring...

The highlighted section did NOT seem to indicate that points would NOT be combinable with the balcony discount, NextCruise or Savings Certificates.
The balcony discount, NextCruise OBC, and Savings Certificates are all Crown & Anchor benefits. The highlighted section appears to exclude them. Of course, it says "certain... promotions and benefits", so it's not clear which benefits might be excluded. Edited by Daghis

Just redeemed points for $100 OBC for Grandeur 10/11/13 sailing. Hoping that I can redeem at end of month for another $50. After that I will cancel my card, if not combinable with stockholder credit, etc. Many other cards out there offering better promotions.

Where did it say that you were not able to combine it with Shareholder Benefits?:confused:

Assuming that I quoted the right section to which you were referring...

The balcony discount, NextCruise OBC, and Savings Certificates are all Crown & Anchor benefits. The highlighted section appears to exclude them. Of course, it says "certain... promotions and benefits", so it's not clear which benefits might be excluded.

I don't think they really know what benefits might be excluded.

I am going to watch this closely. We have this card to get the companion fare and have use it many times. Have also used it for $$ off the cruise and OBC. If it really is going to be that you cannot combine it with all the other benefits - balcony discount and such, then it is time for me to look for another credit card to use that will give me the benefits I want.

I also notice , under discounts, that the card can not be used for new ships for 13 months

Someone had posted on another thread a few days ago that they were told that when they tried to redeem their points. I had never heard of that before. Guess that person already had the new rules.

Edited by molly361

Someone had posted on another thread a few days ago that they were told that when they tried to redeem their points. I had never heard of that before. Guess that person already had the new rules.

This is the explanation..............

"A Reward Redemption for a Cruise Discount may not be combined with a Reward Redemption for a Cruise Vacation. Discounts are not combinable with promotional coupons and/or other Crown & Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage discounts and benefits. Discounts are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”. Discounts may not be used to cover cruise deposits".