THIS is why you never fly "day of"

songbird1329

On a cruise out of San Diego I was using a birth certificate, 2 marriage licenses, and a drivers licenses to prove my current name. They stopped us at the door to check our cruise docs and I.D.'s, they stopped us two more times in line to check, for some reason I have never experienced since. when I got to the counter my drivers license had disappeared. I ran back through the long winding line looking on the floor for my DL. I knew I had it a few minutes ago and remembered the girl checking it making a comment about men never having to have all that documentation. I explained I could not have make it this far it I had not had it when I entered the port. They made me wait in case it turned up, but finally agreed to let me board as I could not have made it that far without it. My DH was so mad at me, but I was also holding his ID's and boarding pass, and 2 carry-ons (I had all the medicine and bathroom items), and a purse. They said I would not be able to get off at any port, but I was happy they were letting me on the ship. As i was struggling to put my carry-ons on the belt to be scanned my DL fell onto the belt. It had fallen and been caught on top of my wheeled suitcase.

Wow! I'm glad you found it. :) I don't think you needed your ID to get off the ship though. :confused: I thought you only needed the cruise ship card. When they scan it for you to get back on the ship, they can see your picture. I've never had my DL checked re-boarding a ship.

Wow! I'm glad you found it. :) I don't think you needed your ID to get off the ship though. :confused: I thought you only needed the cruise ship card. When they scan it for you to get back on the ship, they can see your picture. I've never had my DL checked re-boarding a ship.

Only need the SScard to leave the ship,but to board, we always have to show a picture ID to go through security,then have to have SS card to board ship.

We have been to some ports where we were asked for a photo ID and our cruise card before we could enter the port area before we got to the ship. Never had to show it as we got back on the ship.

Only need the SScard to leave the ship,but to board, we always have to show a picture ID to go through security,then have to have SS card to board ship.

We have been to some ports where we were asked for a photo ID and our cruise card before we could enter the port area before we got to the ship. Never had to show it as we got back on the ship.

This is correct - cruiseline will tell you to take picture ID into port with you - security will ck both picture ID and sea pass card in order to admit you to the area where the ship is docked

I agree that the only things that are important are PASSPORT and CREDIT CARDS. Anything else forgotten can be bought.

A small amount of CASH is not a bad idea either -- last year, in Cozumel, the ATMs on the Magic were all on the fritz so we couldn't get out case before going ashore. We had a heck of a time trying to get a taxi with no cash - not possible there - so the cab driver had to find us an ATM at resort! LOL

Whatever you want to call it . . .if the ship were sailing today instead of tomorrow, my attire for the weekend would be an orange jumpsuit and pretty silver handcuffs . . . Not sure what boyfriend would be wearing. I don't think fashion is a priority at the morgue . . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Forums mobile app

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! Glad you can still be funny during this time. Hope you have a wonderful vacation. :)

Do you remember what port(s)? I always have my wallet so maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't remember anyone every stopping me before getting to the ship. Actually, I think I was stopped in Jamaica but they only asked to see the ship card. At any rate, I'll make sure I keep them on hand.

Back in the 1980's (where there were more airlines than sand in Cozumel) hubby used to fly in the "day of" every cruise....

however, now that the airline seats have shrunk to such a limited number....

and airline maintenance is running "thin" .....

and way to many morons that will call in a bomb threat just for the heck of it...

pilots having more and more "time" restrictions placed on them....

add to that weather and "Murphy's Law"....

no way would I fly in the day of these days.

We actually drive in a day ahead as well....

Exactly! I see folks on here say things like, "Oh, it's only a 2 hour flight so it's fine to fly in the day of the cruise." Really? What if the plane that you are getting on has a delay in it's origination city? What if there is a maintenance issue with your plane and it takes 6 hours to find a replacement plane? They don't just have extras sitting around. And just because YOUR flight isn't in a blizzard or hurricane area doesn't mean that a blizzard or hurricane 3,000 miles away won't disrupt your flight...it's a domino effect that can last for days.

My personal favorite flight delay was when the airline couldn't find a flight crew that was "eligible" to fly because they were all over the allotted hours for that day/shift. Our flight was delayed by 4+ hours and when they finally found a crew from a different airline, the pilot walks by me and says, "Where are we heading?" I laughed and he said, "No. Seriously. Where are we headed? I'll find out soon enough but I'm curious." Oy.

Lastly, I buy trip insurance as well, BUT that insurance won't mean jack squat to me if I miss my ship...it won't cover heart broken, disappointed and the fact that I am missing out on at least 1 day on board.

Just glad the OP made it on board!!

Gina

And once we got on the flight everything went as planned.

Headed for the cruise in a little while.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Glad to hear everything turned out well! I'm guessing orange really wouldn't have been your color, even with the silver handcuff accessory ;)

Glad to hear everything turned out well! I'm guessing orange really wouldn't have been your color, even with the silver handcuff accessory ;)

Nope, no orange here.

And the Breeze is a delight.

Our first cruise as a couple, my DH and I drove down from Indiana to Florida...we stopped in Georgia overnight and then were staying at a B&B in Daytona Beach for going the last hour or so to the port.

We were driving Saturday almost out of Georgia when I screamed, waking my DH up. I had somehow forgotten our BCs at home. If you know me, you know I am an type A planner that is making lists and copies and all kinds of organizational things months in advance, I do NOT mess around. I do not know how this happened to this day. My DH's best friend and my MIL broke into our second story apartment and faxed us a copy of our birth certificates. It was Saturday night and the cruise was Sunday so there was no overnighting them and we debated turning around, but decided to just risk it.

Long story short, we got in only by the grace of God and DH still makes fun of me. He never called me an idiot, but he would've had full permission to lol. Now, I think he gets annoyed because I check about a thousand times and carry them in my hands from the moment we arrive at the terminal until we are on the ship!

I insist that everyone shows their passports, ID, and boarding passes after we get into the car, and before we pull out of the driveway.

I'm thinking that in addition to the day of check before leaving, it's a good idea to check a couple months before to make sure all documention can be found, has not expired and is the correct version. I know that I only remember to check my dl's expiration around my birthday because we have 60 days after to renew. Given that my state mails them out now, if I were traveling shortly after my birthday and it had expired, I'd be in trouble!

I drove my husband and son CRAZY with my documents check. It started with the door our of our house 'taped' closed with a sign about license and passport - then on the way out of the driveway I made them show me both... then when we arrived at the hotel (the night before) - leaving the hotel - arriving at the pier - at EVERY port - the night before debarkation - and finally as we exited our cabin for the last time! All I would have to say is, "do you both..." and they would immediately reach into their pockets and say, "yes". I would have carried them all myself... but I need to "trust" them to be independent.

LMAO! I'm a "taper" too! Seems like you've trained them well.

Whatever you want to call it . . .if the ship were sailing today instead of tomorrow, my attire for the weekend would be an orange jumpsuit and pretty silver handcuffs . . . Not sure what boyfriend would be wearing. I don't think fashion is a priority at the morgue . . .

LOL, yall cracking me up!!!Glad it worked out!!:)

Archived