THIS is why you never fly "day of"

songbird1329

I once grabbed the wrong tickets (we had season tickets) to a football game. In my case, it wasn't that I forgot the tickets altogether...I just grabbed the wrong tickets for that particular game. We got there early to tailgate when I realized I didn't have them. My husband STILL won't let me live that down and it was almost 6 years ago. :o I can't even imagine what his reaction would be if i forgot something like this. LOL

He's on his way back to the airport, passport in hand. If we miss this flight the airline will put us on standby for a later flight -- there's one at 5:30 and one at 8:00. Or we can pay a king's ransom and fly at 11:00 tonight.

what time is the flight?

Otherwise known as "my boyfriend is an idiot."

He's the type who packs three days before a trip, prints out his entire itinerary, gets to the airport two hours before his flight.

So why am I having lunch all by myself at the La Guardia Food Court?

We had a friend drive us to the airport. Got the luggage out of the car and walked over to curbside check in.

When asked for ID, I pulled out my passport.

And boyfriend realized his passport was at home.

And he couldn't even check his bags because he didn't have his driver's license.

So two suitcases are on the plane for Miami. Hopefully we, and the rest of our stuff, will be joining those bags.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Sorry to hear this :( This is why I'm such a control freak when it comes to traveling.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Whatever you want to call it . . .if the ship were sailing today instead of tomorrow, my attire for the weekend would be an orange jumpsuit and pretty silver handcuffs . . . Not sure what boyfriend would be wearing. I don't think fashion is a priority at the morgue . . .

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Forums mobile app

OMG...too funny...I spit Fritos on my monitor! LOL

Boyfriend's added costs to trip:

1) Massage for girlfriend

2) Higher bar bill (airport, hotel, cruise)

3) Chiropractor bill from sleeping on the sofa or floor

For his part I hope that you make the original flight. Otherwise that cabin will be VERY small for the next couple of days.

In 15 years of cruising as a family, we adopted one tradition long ago. We get in the car (or, if its all of us, the rented van) and then before we leave the driveway, every member of the party pulls out their passport and cruise ticket and holds them in the air for everyone to see so we can confirm they are all there, then puts them right back in their purse or wallet. Our motto is everything else you forget can be dealt with, as long as you can get on the ship.

So why am I having lunch all by myself at the La Guardia Food Court?

Don't eat at the "By the Pound" section at the LGA airport. The Dept of Health closed it down a few weeks ago for health code violations. They had yellow tape around it! :eek:

Ship doesn't sail until tomorrow. So we should be ok.

But this is NOT how I wanted to start my vacation!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Forums mobile app

Imagine how bad your BF feels, did you actually call him an idiot? - . Things happen, your ship doesn't leave till tomorrow. Have a nice vacation.

Hoping you make the original flight!! But...if you don't....my advice, along with beginning to stay mildly drunk at all times, is to get on whichever flights you can grab, even if you have to fly separately to get there. They are over-selling flights these days - who are you flying?

I LOL at the person talking about US Airways....you got that one right!

A friend and I were going to Denali and then Alaska cruise. We get to the airport and she realizes that she doesn't have her airline ticket (this was back in the day). She opens all her locked bags to check for it to no avail. I couldn't take her bags, they had to stay with her. I checked in. She pulled her big suitcase out to the cab stand and got a cab back to her house (30 minute drive). She apparently spent 20+ minutes at her house and finally found it tucked into a travel magazine. Back to the airport and I had inquired as to later flights to Fairbanks for her to catch up. She actually made it onto our flight by running to the gate and me yelling at the gate agent not to shut the door.

That $25 cab ride cost her $100.

I had actually asked her when I picked her up: "Do you have your airline ticket and cruise boarding pass?" She said yes.

NOW: I say "here is my passport and boarding pass. Here is my wallet with CCards and $. Show me yours".

A friend and I were going to Denali and then Alaska cruise. We get to the airport and she realizes that she doesn't have her airline ticket (this was back in the day). She opens all her locked bags to check for it to no avail. I couldn't take her bags, they had to stay with her. I checked in. She pulled her big suitcase out to the cab stand and got a cab back to her house (30 minute drive). She apparently spent 20+ minutes at her house and finally found it tucked into a travel magazine. Back to the airport and I had inquired as to later flights to Fairbanks for her to catch up. She actually made it onto our flight by running to the gate and me yelling at the gate agent not to shut the door.

That $25 cab ride cost her $100.

I had actually asked her when I picked her up: "Do you have your airline ticket and cruise boarding pass?" She said yes.

NOW: I say "here is my passport and boarding pass. Here is my wallet with CCards and $. Show me yours".

LOL. Cute

I have only been on one so far - I flew in on the day of and wished I had come in the day before. the night before the cruise i got off work at 5 pm, went home had to go to the store to pick up last minute items, got home, ate dinner, and attempted to go to sleep --- note that i said attempted... i looked like this most of the night :eek: i had maybe 2 hours of sleep and was too exhausted to really enjoy the first day much

Man, that is funny.:p

I have only been on one so far - I flew in on the day of and wished I had come in the day before. the night before the cruise i got off work at 5 pm, went home had to go to the store to pick up last minute items, got home, ate dinner, and attempted to go to sleep --- note that i said attempted... i looked like this most of the night :eek: i had maybe 2 hours of sleep and was too exhausted to really enjoy the first day much

Funny, funny, funny!!!

hopefully they made it!

the reason we carry two forms of ID, always.....we checked in with passports but husband used drivers license for ID at TSA and somehow managed to drop it! We were able to continue our trip with passports, and him being upset for several hours about the lost drivers license. When we got home a week later, the drivers license had been mailed back to him by TSA.

Hope everyone has a great trip no matter where you are going!

Beverly

Oh lord bless your heart. I've never forgotten documents as I'm extremely OCD when it comes to flights (although I do fly in the day of when necessary) since at one point or another the airlines have messed me in every conceivable way. I double triple check everything. I even check if I still have everything DURING the flight. It drives my wife nuts.

But I did book our return flight home for our last sea day last year! Sadly didn't realize it until we were disembarking the ship. That was an expensive mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents did this on their Alaskan cruise, I get this frantic phone call from her when they were in an area she could use her phone that she booked her flights for 7am instead of 7pm on the day they got back to port.

Luckily the airline made a change to the departure time (15 min change) and that allowed me to change her flights to the next day for no additional fees.

I am a nut when it comes to travel and hopefully I don't do anything silly on my first cruise in Novemeber :)

Archived