How much walking it involved with a private tour of Rome?

LiseD

Hi, My 80ish year old parents will be with us and while in good shape I need to be careful about long days of walking with them. I like the idea of a private driver as if they did get tired I am assuming they could just wait in the van if they didn't want to get out? Love some feed back of some of you who have done Rome in a day with a driver and how strenuous it was?

As much walking as you like, or your parents can tolerate.

Of course, to get a good view of many places- the Forum, the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Vatican, walking would be required. There are a couple of "view points"- places the driver can take you for a grand overview without getting out of the car. But those are just grand overviews of things like the Forum and Colosseum.

And how close the driver can get affects things. If the driver has people onboard who have walking limitations, the driver might be able to get a little closer.

Certainly, on a private tour, far less walking is required than on a ship's bus tour.

We did a private tour with Italy Limousine. My parents waited with our driver at some stops. They had been to Italy years before but things don't change:). They were able to pick what they wanted to get out to see or stay in the van. I would recommend a private tour as you can go at your own pace.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have been to Rome numerous times and love walking all over !!!!

This trip we are taking my MIL (78) and FIL (79) and we are booking a golf cart tour for them. Thats right.....electric golf carts that can go anywhere you can walk (many of the areas are pedestrian only) such as the Trevi fountain area etc.....

It is not cheap, but then neither is a private tour (which we have also done our first trip there)

If they want to get out and walk into something (such as the Pantheon) to see the inside or just take pics or shop - they can do so at any time......

Just another idea to throw into your research ideas.....

http://mybesttour.com/us.htm

Thanks for the replys....my parents are in good health...but know if it is a lot of walking AND a hot day....well....they might want to skip a bit of the walking around. And let's face it.....it will be a long day and will wear most of us out! ha ha :)

Our private tour of Rome and the Vatican with RomeInLimo surpassed our expectations in comfort and the amount of how much we saw...Truely a VIP treatment that we will never forget. I think you may be very surprised at what is possible when using a private company. Enjoy this amazing city and all it has to offer even in one days time.

we did a private tour with Rudy from Romecartours -7 of us in a minivan.

We filled the van with cruisemates on our roll call to bring the cost per head down but the full day hire of the van was about 500 euros[remember the port is about an hour away from Rome

With being in a small van our driver could get very close to the sights so there was little walking involved which was essential as my husband has walking difficulties

It was also great to be able to get back in an air conditioned vehicle after being in the hot sun[we went in July]

there are several private tour companies recommended on these boards-contact several and explain your circumstances-we went with the company that understood our limited mobility and made suggestions on how to cater for our needs

You have the advantage being on a private tour.

I would set this up so that your parents can walk a little with you and if you are inside places that they can sit from time to time and also have the driver take them around in the vehicle while you are both walking.

Aside from distance consider the weather. If you are visiting in the summer it will be even more tiring because of the hot/humid weather.

Keith

If your parents have a handicap placard, bring it. That got us up close and personal in a lot of spaces where we wouldn't have normally been allowed to go. Driven through a town that didn't normally allow cars, up to the top of the castle instead of the parking lot at the bottom, up the hill by Monaco's palace, that type of things. She would never have been able to do the walk otherwise.

We used Rome in Limo a few years ago. There were four adults and one child. One person was 70+. The private car service was the best! It was a Mercedes passenger van that got us close to everything. Very little walking, except for the Colosseum parking which was about two blocks away give or take. Of course there was a lot of walking for the various places like inside the Vatican. Also our driver knew were all of the bathrooms were located which was great for everyone.

Archived