Which is best?

CanadaDeb

Hi All,

I have never cruised Alaska and am planning a once in a lifetime trip for my parents, so I want to make sure it's as good as can be.

I am debating between RCL and Princess. To the ones who have cruised Alaska before, which would be best: Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm fjord?

I am thinking the day of scenic cruising would be a highlight so I am trying to pick a cruise with the most time spent scenic cruising.

Any advice from experienced Alaskan cruisers welcome.

Many thanks!

With Tracy Arm, I highly recommend the add on ship shore excursion and find it "necessary" since it is grossly superior to the cruise ship transit. It is a beautiful narrow endless time of beauty. You have to be prepared to no glacier view, although with the small boat tour, your success is far greater than the cruise ship. but still some sailings will miss it.

Glacier Bay certainly is also scenic, but, in my opinion less so on the transits. You do get to see at least 4 glaciers with success 99.99% of the time. Hoonah can be of interest with RCI (if on the itinerary). You don't mention what you are looking at but other lines also do great jobs in Alaska. :)

Thank you Budget Queen. I thought of these two lines because I have experienced them and also because they seem to be a bit more affordable than say Hal or Celebrity. Another consideration is that on the Celebrity itinerary that would have interested us, one port is tendered which is not possible for my parents. I know it's only 1 port but if we have an option, then I would rather avoid it.

Any other help you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

If you have a choice between Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay, don't skip Glacier Bay. Not all cruise lines have permits to enter the waters of this exceptional national park which is part of the largest UNESCO World Heritage Biosphere Site on earth. It's one of Alaska's and America's National Park treasures.

Not sure age of your parents, but not everyone enjoys smaller boat transits (less comfortable, more boat motion)... At least this has been our experience. Glacier bay is my preferred routing, based on personal experience. Princess one way itineraries, which include Hubbard southbound and college fjord northbound offer great scenic cruising and would be my choice if I were planning a cruise for older parents.

Given that you stated that a tender port isn't an option for your parents I assume they are older and have mobility issues? If so, definitely choose Princess and Glacier Bay. They should enjoy the scenic cruising in Glacier Bay :)

Not sure age of your parents, but not everyone enjoys smaller boat transits (less comfortable, more boat motion)... At least this has been our experience. Glacier bay is my preferred routing, based on personal experience. Princess one way itineraries, which include Hubbard southbound and college fjord northbound offer great scenic cruising and would be my choice if I were planning a cruise for older parents.

I'm not sure if you have done the Tracy Arm add on boat tours with Allen Marine, but I have found them very comfortable and this route rarely gets more "motion". These reasons, I don't find need a lot of priority? I have sailed this several times.

I'm not sure if you have done the Tracy Arm add on boat tours with Allen Marine, but I have found them very comfortable and this route rarely gets more "motion". These reasons, I don't find need a lot of priority? I have sailed this several times.

Only once, and it real highlight for us as well, but my FIL would not have enjoyed this (or the 26 glacier tour); even our captain larry excursion was a bit long for him (the mv ptarmigan was perfect). He really enjoyed sitting in horizon court for Hubbard and Glacier Bay. My mom, otoh, loved small boat excursions, especially the Columbia glacier tour out of Valdez

Only once, and it real highlight for us as well, but my FIL would not have enjoyed this (or the 26 glacier tour); even our captain larry excursion was a bit long for him (the mv ptarmigan was perfect). He really enjoyed sitting in horizon court for Hubbard and Glacier Bay. My mom, otoh, loved small boat excursions, especially the Columbia glacier tour out of Valdez

You are right on. Certainly this option is not for everyone. :) But, it is a good one for those with the interest. I find it far better than any ship transit for Tracy Arm. But way more people are still on the ship, enjoying their day as well. (I have too)

Thank you Budget Queen. I thought of these two lines because I have experienced them and also because they seem to be a bit more affordable than say Hal or Celebrity. Another consideration is that on the Celebrity itinerary that would have interested us, one port is tendered which is not possible for my parents. I know it's only 1 port but if we have an option, then I would rather avoid it.

Any other help you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

You don't say when you're looking at cruising or what ship.

Just am FYI - the Celebrity Solstice was alternating tendering and docking in 2013 but we just booked another sailing for 2014 and it looks like all stops are docking in 2014.

Archived