Pre-cruise stay

jacobrobert

Is it worth it to book hotel for pre-cruise stay directly with Oceania or just to book yourself?.

You will have to be the judge of this, and make a decision based upon cost...

Oceania's hotel stay will be at an upper end hotel, and will include transport from the airport and to the dock the next day - breakfast is generally included, as is porterage. A concierge will be at the hotel to help with any questions, etc.

If you book a hotel on your own, you have a complete choice of locations and prices. However, you have to arrange transport from the airport and then to the pier the next morning. Dining is on your own.

Try reading the reviews of the hotels on Trip Advisor. You will get some excellent feedback on the advantages and disadvantages of the various rooms if you are willing to read through several pages of reviews. Expedia is also another site where you can read reviews on the rooms. If it is on your bucket list, go for it. We have found that booking on our own is more reasonable than using Oceania even when taking into account transfers. It is up to you to find the most reasonable deal you can. Half the fun of the trip is doing your own research.

One reason for the big difference in cost (well, the MAIN reason) between DIY and using O's hotels is that they charge per person whereas the hotel charges by the room.

Oops, my bad. I just checked the website and see they now charge by the room. But even so, a standard room at the Majestic costs $798 for one night if booked through Oceania. If you book at the hotel for the free cancellation flexible rate it is 239,00€. That's a big difference -- $518.51 at today's exchange rates.

Neither is cheap, of course!

A cab from the airport to the hotel or from the hotel to the port is not all that expensive either. (Cheaper to the port than from the airport.)

Mura

We have used O's pre booked hotel and done our own. Haven't regretted any of these decisions.

As another poster mentioned O will have a rep in the lobby for assistance, etc. on O booked stays. We found this very useful in Bejing as we were able to take advantage of the offered tours in our pre cruise time.

In Rome, a city we are familiar with, we recently handled our own transfers and hotel arrangements.

For us cost is not the single determining factor in making pre cruise arrangements.

Is it worth it to book hotel for pre-cruise stay directly with Oceania or just to book yourself?.

We are sailing out of Papeete this feb 2014. Booked our own 2 day pre with Intercontinental, We took the Panaramic room the price i am paying is alot less then O pre cruise price.Also have a car picking us up at the airport we booked through the hotel about 10.00 more then a regular taxi.The flight i have is arriving into Papeete at 10 pm.

I don't believe there's a Hilton on the island of Tahiti any more, could be wrong. Which island did you want to stay on, and for how long? Pre-cruise trips to Moorea could be done for as little as two nights I guess, although 3 would be much better. And Bora Bora is further away and I think you'd want 3 nights there minimum.

This is just my opinion but NEVER NEVER NEVER book a hotel through the cruise line. It's like taking hundreds of dollars and setting fire to the bills.

My opinion also. It takes little to no effort to make hotel & transfer arrangements, plus your fellow RCall members will help direct you in the right direction.

I would recommend comparing prices. We are staying in Stockholm for a night after an upcoming cruise. I paid about $220 Canadian for a room at the Sheraton while O was charging around $600 at the same hotel. No brainer there.

I would recommend comparing prices. We are staying in Stockholm for a night after an upcoming cruise. I paid about $220 Canadian for a room at the Sheraton while O was charging around $600 at the same hotel. No brainer there.

Yes, but particularly in light of what happened over this past weekend in Northern Africa, it is worth noting that Air, Hotel and Tour Arrangements which are made through the Cruise Line will change with the routing of the ship, whereas private plans do not.

There are five or six areas of the World where we would ONLY CONSIDER OCEANIA ARRANGEMENTS.

Yes, but particularly in light of what happened over this past weekend in Northern Africa, it is worth noting that Air, Hotel and Tour Arrangements which are made through the Cruise Line will change with the routing of the ship, whereas private plans do not.

There are five or six areas of the World where we would ONLY CONSIDER OCEANIA ARRANGEMENTS.

What was the problem in Northern Africa? Did not read a thing. Also what are the areas of the world you are talking about? Could be that we re think what we do. Thanks :)

What was the problem in Northern Africa? Did not read a thing. Also what are the areas of the world you are talking about? Could be that we re think what we do. Thanks :)

My African comment referred to the problems in Egypt, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/19/egypt-violence-crisis/2669991/ but I would also be very concerned about (in no particular order) making my own reservations in Brazil, Myanmar, Indonesia and Ireland.

Jim and Stan's advice is well founded.

Additionally, I would offer a clarification regarding Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is quite safe. The recent trouble reports have been in certain locales in the seperate north of Ireland (uppermost six counties).

Oceania offered tours for a port such as Belfast would be the best bet. But, even private tour operators probably would be savvy enough to avoid trouble spots (which thankfully only flare up around a couple of holiday events in July and August). But, these events could prevent seeing parts of the city that might be of interest. Still the safest to stick with O for stops in the north.

My African comment referred to the problems in Egypt, http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/08/19/egypt-violence-crisis/2669991/ but I would also be very concerned about (in no particular order) making my own reservations in Brazil, Myanmar, Indonesia and Ireland.

Thanks for your answer. I think Egypt is a moot point since no cruise lines are going to be there for quite awhile. Will give your advice a lot of thought if we are going to any of those other places. :)

This is just my opinion but NEVER NEVER NEVER book a hotel through the cruise line. It's like taking hundreds of dollars and setting fire to the bills.

Hi Wripro,

I know I have discussed this beforeon the board..you are absolutely correct for people that are comfortable doing that..lots of my friends are only comfortable when they know they are being taken care of by the cruise lines and dont have to worry about getting luggage, transportation to hotel and ship etc. I understand that because my Mom was that way..she needed to be taken care of ..So your answer does not cover everyone..and when you figure the cost without the air deviation, and transportation the cost of the hotels come down quite a bit..

Jancruz1

Thanks for your answer. I think Egypt is a moot point since no cruise lines are going to be there for quite awhile.

As are the other countries mentioned (save Brazil) as there are no pre stays (topic of this thread) at any of those places (AFAIK).

Tours are a different matter.

PS I believe some cruise lines are still visiting Sharm el Sheikh.

Hi Wripro,

I know I have discussed this beforeon the board..you are absolutely correct for people that are comfortable doing that..lots of my friends are only comfortable when they know they are being taken care of by the cruise lines and dont have to worry about getting luggage, transportation to hotel and ship etc. I understand that because my Mom was that way..she needed to be taken care of ..So your answer does not cover everyone..and when you figure the cost without the air deviation, and transportation the cost of the hotels come down quite a bit..

Jancruz1

Good answer. Everyone has a different comfort level. As with the ships tours we will do both depending on the situation.

As are the other countries mentioned (save Brazil) as there are no pre stays (topic of this thread) at any of those places (AFAIK).

Tours are a different matter.

PS I believe some cruise lines are still visiting Sharm el Sheikh.

Quite so Paul, which is why I didn't mention them until I was asked.

I continue to stand by my assertion; however, that price alone should not preclude consideration of Cruise Line sponsored land arrangements.

Peace of mind is literally priceless, and I know for a fact that a number of people who are reading this Post (who thought that they were being savvy by booking privately) have been hundreds, even thousands out of pocket, because previous flare-ups caused last minute cancellations.

Peace of mind is literally priceless, and I know for a fact that a number of people who are reading this Post (who thought that they were being savvy by booking privately) have been hundreds, even thousands out of pocket, because previous flare-ups caused last minute cancellations.

If so, they were not as savvy as they thought they were.

I, for one, would never book a hotel (or a tour) that could not be cancelled w/o penalty if the circumstances beyond my control dictated this.

We had private tours arranged in Israel for 3 days with 12 people at substantial savings over O sponsored tours (and much better and more flexible itineraries). As O was forced to cancel the stops in Israel only 3 days before our arrival there, we were able to cancel our tours (and hotel stay in Jerusalem) on this short notice w/o any financial loss at all.

As always, YMMV :)

Hi Wripro,

Jancruz1

So am I understanding you correctly that when you book the hotel through O that the cost includes the air deviation fees, and the transfers from the airport to hotel, then hotel to cruise port?

Or am I reading something into what you said that's not there?

Archived