Private Excursions - Aug 9th Millenium Cancelled Itinerary

micruiser12

We just returned last night from Vancouver having been on the cancelled southbound Aug 9th Millennium cruise.

We had private excursions booked in every port we missed including with Orca Enterprises, Island Wings, Misty Bay in ISP, and ChilKoot Train and Bus ride. Boarding day Aug 9th we learned all of the ports would be cancelled and I worried that because we had booked private excursions that we might lose our deposits, but in every case every operator above agreed immediately under the circumstances to refund our entire deposit even though we were past the point of full refund cancellation. So don't be afraid to book with private reputable operators as they want to do well by you.

We plan to return in 2 years to Alaska and will book with every one of the above operators again because of how well they handled this situation.

Sorry to hear that your cruise was cancelled for all intents and purposes. Next year will be our 2nd time in Alaska and our excursions are already booked with private operators we used in the past. If they were not we would look at some of the ones you were booked with. Glad to hear they stepped up to the plate for the disappointed cruisers.

Mary Lou

This has been "standard" with Alaska vendors. ones, over and over recommended. :) It pays to book with the well established companies. Unfortunately there have a few (very few) problems with some new start ups.

Just to note that while your vendors had no issue refunding money, this isn't the case with all vendors. When booking private tours, the first question asked should be how refunds are handled if you don't make it.

I agree. That is why I did not say all private vendors. You should know cancellation policies, but these specific vendors ignored the usual cancellation deadline due to the circumstances and I named them in particular. As Budget Queen mentioned, most well reviewed and established vendors would do the same. We really did our homework on picking well respected companies(thanks cruise critic members!) and it paid off in a crisis.

As an aside, I was in Seward by the small boat harbor when they announced that you would finally be leaving....That was quite a cheer you guys put out!

You betcha!! We were thrilled the ship was working again! So sorry to hear that this week's Northbound cruise sounds like they are having the same kind of problem.

We want to do the Flightseeing over Misty Fjords.

Any recommendations on which company to choose,

other than the one associated w/ the cruise ship?

The one I mentioned in the first entry is Island Wings with Michelle as the pilot. They have a wonderful reputation and you can book that company privately.

Archived